Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,647,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
{snip}

The media has been a co-conspirator to the global warming hoax and I take this latest example as one that reveals its utter desperation to maintain the greatest hoax of the modern era. The facts mean nothing to them. Real science means nothing to them. But reality is intruding on theirs and the United Nations environmental program just wrapped up Conference of Parties-19 in Warsaw, where more nations are now in open revolt.

The UN Global Warming Hoax is Slowly Dying
The hoaxers tell us that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and human activities are increasing it; that much is true, but then they grossly exaggerate everything else, and make absurd predictions of doom and gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,248,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You give too much credit to people that attend Yale/Harvard. George W Bush has degrees from BOTH. Does that make him twice as credible on the subject?
Legacy students like W, no. The vast majority of those people, absolutely.

It's telling that you dismiss the intelligence of students who attend the most prestigious colleges in the country.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,703,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet it seems like you guys push back at every environmental laws, so I question what anti-environmentalists consider to be to be "true environmental laws."
the only time i push back against environmental laws is when they go overboard, past the point of diminishing returns. for instance, the cars we have today are far cleaner than the ones we had in the 80s. in fact they put out about 5% of the HC and CO emissions the 80s cars did, and only about 2% of the emissions that cars of the 60s did. but internal combustion engines are always going to produce emissions, regardless of what fuel you use, so at some point we have a point of diminishing returns where the cost of eliminating emissions becomes far greater than the benefit.

remember that the higher you drive the cost of things and services, the less of those tings and services you get. now we can eliminate all carbon emissions if you want, but that means no more cars, no more power plants that are not nuclear or geothermal, or wind or solar, or hydroelectric, no more steel, no more recycling, no more hauling heavy loads across the country, no more flying, in fact no more high speed transportation of any kind except perhaps electric trains, and even those will be limited heavily. no more internet, we do have to save what electricity we produce without fossil fuels. so basically we shut down the planet, and go back to absolutely EVERYTHING being local.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,647,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
And any other conservative pundits and politicians?

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are not scientist. They don't even have college degrees. Yet when Rush Limbaugh yells on the radio that global warming is a lie, conservatives believe it. But why? Rush has zero qualifications on the issue.

But when 99.9% of climate scientist say that humans significantly contribute to increasing global temperature, conservatives deny it.

I just don't understand what the logical rationale for this is?
Limbaugh and Hannity do not pretend to be scientists, they read the papers, articles and studies by real climatologists, and scientists, and even invite them to be interviewed on their shows.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,946,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
This is exactly what I am talking about. It isn't a lie, it's the truth.

There is nothing I can link you, scientific publications, or anything I can do to convince you that 99.9% of climate scientist agree on global warming.
Because it's not true. Seriously... Get a clue, here. Science, even among the tiny number of climate scientists, is wildly divided over all matters about this.

Oh, and 'consensus' is not science, it's politics. Even if 99.9% agreed on something that's false, it doesn't change to true. There is an objective truth, and we absolutely DO NOT HAVE the facts to find it.

Quote:
Yet you believe rush limbaugh instead.
???? What does Limbaugh have to do with this? You're citing politicians for your 99.9% argument, and then accusing me of not thinking and believing Rush Limbaugh, simply because I did my scientific homework. Amazing.

Quote:
This is where I don't understand conservatives.
Of course you can't. I deal in facts and reality.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,248,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Limbaugh and Hannity do not pretend to be scientists, they read the papers, articles and studies by real climatologists, and scientists, and even invite them to be interviewed on their shows.
And yet ol' Rush says the way he knows it's a lie is because liberals believe in it.

His scientific method is absolutely breathtaking. :roll eyes: Bring on the Nobel...

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM

29,982 posts, read 18,554,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That is an interesting take on what I have said and goes to another interesting point on global warming. It is true oceans, as well as the atmosphere and land surface all dissipate heat. The difference is that water dissipates heat at a slower rate then land and air. Furthermore if there were global cooling as you suggest and as you correctly note oceans dissipate heat, wouldn't ocean heat measurements show a decrease in the amount of heat joules stored over time? Clearly the measurements I show in post 7 suggest the opposite is happening which suggests, if you are a true scientist like you claim, you might be willing to adjust your hypothesis to the evidence.

As to the second law of thermodynamics I would again direct you to posts 37 and 48 key words being "isolated system" The second law of thermodynamics doesn't say any part of a system must trend towards entropy if that were true I seriously doubt humans, or life generally, would exist.

Great back peddling. You don't look quite as absurd by covering your tracks in that fashion.

I can see that you have educated yourself in the 2nd law of thermodynamics. All of those PhDs conferred by voting "D" seem to have done you some good.

Regarding the "stored energy" in the oceans, I am sure that you have taken multiple temperature measurements ten miles down from the surface of the ocean and KNOW what the temps are at the bottom of the Marianna's Trench. Do you actually know what is constituted by 1 Joule?

PS- Don't argue science with people who actually have a background in science. It makes you look like an idiot.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,419,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It's telling that you dismiss the intelligence of students who attend the most prestigious colleges in the country.
like you did here?

Quote:
Legacy students like W, no.
A complete hypocritical contradiction don't you think?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM

13,675 posts, read 8,964,261 times
I have said before that the 'issue' of global warming certainly gained legs when Rush Limbaugh began to talk about it, mainly in rebuttal to Al Gore's movie and lectures. I listened to Rush quite a bit during those days, but I did not take him too seriously. After all, back in grade school in the 1960s we had learned about the Greenhouse Effect, which itself dates back to the 1890s. I believe that Mr. Gore was (and is) claiming that the symptoms of the Greenhouse effect is happening more rapidly than suspected.

As I noted before, those who like to enter these type of threads yapping about the 1974 magazine cover about "A New Ice Age?" forget that one reason it was 'news' and thus sold copies was that the author of said piece flew against conventional scientific theory about how the world would be warming in the future. I even read the magazine (I think it was Time or Newsweek). However, many scientists wrote to refute the author's opinion, and the author's viewpoint soon sank from view.

I simply did not hear much quibbling about global warming until Rush started in on Gore (saying such stuff as 'follow the money' and 'liberal conspiracy towards a new world order', etc).

Such is life.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,991,047 times
We don't, what other lies are you going to try spreading today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies