Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't know your position on legalization but are you saying the pot smokers are causing accidents because they're driving too slow??
No, I didn't say that. You said that one of the most common effects of pot impairment was that drivers would hesitate and/or drive slowly. I'm just pointing out that slow drivers can be a bigger danger than speeders.

BTW my position on legalization: I used to be all for legalization of all drugs on the grounds that is a victimless 'crime,' or at least the only victim is the person who chooses to use drugs.

Now I have rethought that to some extent. In the context of a big welfare state, I think you need a big nanny state to go with it. The state must be able to control unhealthy behavior if the state is on the hook for paying for the consequences of the behavior. If we could get rid of, or at least greatly reduce, the welfare state then I would support legalization, but realistically, the former is not going to happen anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't know your family, but marijuana use does not cause schizophrenia. Maybe do a little research on the subject before clinging to erroneous conclusions.

But its a free country, and people can believe in whatever nonsense they wish to invent
That's the official diagnosis. Marijuana was the trigger.

We were told we carry a schizoid gene that can be triggered by marijuana use. Unfortunately, my uncle had it and went from normal to full blow schizophrenia in less than six months after starting to use pot.

It doesn't cause in the sense that everyone who uses will get it but is seems to up your odds. It was what pushed my uncle over the edge. Unfortunately, he couldn't just stop using and become normal again.

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

" Experts estimate that between 8% and 13% of all schizophrenia cases are linked to marijuana / cannabis use during teen years."

My uncle was just 18 when he was drafted and started using in while in the military. Less than a year later, he was diagnosed with full blown schizophrenia (he was normal when he left home), discharged from the army and sent home....well sent to a mental hospital where he was eventually released but was seldom under control for the rest of his short life.

We have been advised to avoid all contact with marijuana. I have vivid memories of my uncle from childhood so I'll take that advice which came from doctors not posters on a bulletin board.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road. The person going 10 under the limit is a far greater danger than the person going 10 over. People are continually coming up behind them, and must figure out how to get around them. Each time this happens represents a potential accident. When the accident happens, the slow driver might well not even be involved, not get a ticket, not even have to pull over, but nonetheless will be the root cause.
please educate yourself about driving!!! and stop making stuff up

Top 25 Causes of Car Accidents |

slow driving is not even on the list

number one distracted driving..

number two speeding..

number three drunk driving..

number four reckless driving..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

We were told we carry a schizoid gene that can be triggered by marijuana use. Unfortunately, my uncle had it and went from normal to full blow schizophrenia in less than six months after starting to use pot.

It doesn't cause in the sense that everyone who uses will get it but is seems to up your odds. It was what pushed my uncle over the edge. Unfortunately, he couldn't just stop using and become normal again.

" Experts estimate that between 8% and 13% of all schizophrenia cases are linked to marijuana / cannabis use during teen years."

My uncle was just 18 when he was drafted and started using in while in the military. Less than a year later, he was diagnosed with full blown schizophrenia (he was normal when he left home), discharged from the army and sent home....well sent to a mental hospital where he was eventually released but was seldom under control for the rest of his short life.

We have been advised to avoid all contact with marijuana. I have vivid memories of my uncle from childhood so I'll take that advice which came from doctors not posters on a bulletin board.

sounds like your family had bad genes!!! and the ugly gene too..

I know a few people that can die from one bee sting.. where as for myself I've ben stung twice over 50 times at once, and many multiple stings other times.. should bees be eradicated because a few people have bad genes.?? I have bee hives that's why I have gotten stung so many times I use no bee suits or protection of any kind

Last edited by cruxan; 01-12-2014 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: added sentenses

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quite honestly, I find the link to be a questionable cause logical fallacy, as much as you can take anyone suffering mental illness, determine what % of them used alcohol as teenagers, and then blame alcohol as the cause for mental illness.

While taken on its own alcohol can cause a host of problems, many both mental, behavioral and documented physical conditions that can result in death, and often does.

In the instance of schizophrenia, there is no proof whatsoever that marijuana use causes schizophrenia, only that those already prone to the affliction may be at elevated risk if using marijuana. The same can be said for alcohol use, and studies can surely be conducted that would offer statistical proof.

Correlation does not imply causation in anything other than a tiny group of users, and advocating for marijuana prohibition on these grounds cannot ignore that alcohol could easily be used as the same driver of such results.

I imagine your uncle would have developed schizophrenia if he never used marijuana at all.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
please educate yourself about driving!!! and stop making stuff up

Top 25 Causes of Car Accidents |

slow driving is not even on the list

number one distracted driving..

number two speeding..

number three drunk driving..

number four reckless driving..
seriously? A top 25 list from 'the law offices of Michael Pines' with zero sourcing?

Well here's a lawyer who thinks that driving too slowly can be dangerous, and cause accidents.
411: Driving Too Slowly on Florida

He doesn't cite any research either, but it does suffice to nullify your lawyer.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Your uncle probably developed schizophrenia after being drafted to fight in a War or was just always mentally ill, not from smoking marijuana.

Besides, who here is advocating for legal teen use of marijuana?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
seriously? A top 25 list from 'the law offices of Michael Pines' with zero sourcing?

Well here's a lawyer who thinks that driving too slowly can be dangerous, and cause accidents.
411: Driving Too Slowly on Florida

He doesn't cite any research either, but it does suffice to nullify your lawyer.

look up the official statistics

The 6 Most Common Causes of Automobile Crashes

Common Causes of Road Accidents | Department of Police, State Government of Jharkhand, India

Car Crash Fatality Statistics | Statistic Brain

Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road.
your words^^^^

still don't see slow driving on any list

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Because the government will get their nasty hands right in the middle of it, you people just don't get it.

once the Feds give in they will regulate and tax it to death. Enjoy it while you can.
Well, I hear you on that one. 26+% tax, are you kidding me. I have to laugh at some of the so called libertarians who are going along with that. If I smoked (I don't), I would be happy with being able to grow my own and leave it at that.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Conservatives are always preaching about freedom, and espcially freedom from government intervention, yet is always is conservatives who advocate arresting and imprisoning Americans for the possession and use of a naturally growing weed that has no harmful medical consequences of its use.

Sadly, the irony is lost on them, as it remains out of range of their tunnel vision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies