Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The government is fighting so hard against marijuana that they just let 2 states legalize it...
Exactly. Just like the open southern border that the Mexican cartels were given to control so that tons of pot, meth, heroin, etc cross over on a daily basis.

The government is not going after drug traffickers to any real extent. It's very easy for the cartels to get drugs into every city and town throughout the USA, into every middle school, high school, Indian reservation, urban ghetto, and rural areas. The US government allows them total access to the USA for their highly addictive toxins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This is going on here in far Northern California. Those with the most bucks from growing pay off the law enforcement and all the little guys get hit. I moved up here in 1992 from Oakland/Berkeley and lived back in the woods, in the low mountains for 8 years and when we moved here in 1992 the full fledge marijuana war was going on with the military and their helicopters. We tried being small scale vegetable and animal farmers thinking that since we were innocent, that we would be left alone. HA, sure, we were treated like enemies by most of the growers on the hills. Growers were afraid we were narcks and the law thought we were just good at hiding, when in fact we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Pot was going for $8,500 back in 92 and now it is under $2,000 and the only thing I see keeping the war going on is it being illegal and that keeps the price high. Make it legal and anyone can grow a plant right next to their tomato plant if they want to and the price will drop like a lead weight, the incentives to grow are gone, the chemicals that are polluting our water here in far northern California, are gone, the Mexican cartel that has invaded our National forests up here, are gone and our jails and prisons will have fewer inmates needing our tax dollars to support. It is the growers and the law that want to keep it illegal, they are the ones profiting.
You need to think it over just a little more. You get the government involved and you think the price will go down? All you have to look at for proof is healthcare. Did healthcare go down since the government got heavily involved? Only in some peoples minds it did. Is marijuana bought legally cheaper in Colorado now? No!

Once you involve the government with their subsidies and other fine government programs price discovery is lost. Once you lose that the market is distorted, supply and demand means nothing.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh OH! I know! I know!

Like all the other answers on this board...

Obama

Thats right....Obama once smoked pot.
Then, he's an un-convicted felon.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh OH! I know! I know!

Like all the other answers on this board...

Obama

Thats right....Obama once smoked pot.
Judging from his behavior, I think "once" is misleading term. I'm pretty sure he continues to do so.

I'm a proponent of legalization, and a self-admitted user, but let's face it, making important decisions while under the influence is a bad decision in the first place.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
The health risks of pot is far less than alcohol and tobacco, rendering the prohibition of pot ridiculous.

I'm even investing in pot stocks like mjna, which is a medicinal marijuana company... and I'm up more than 30%. These penny stocks are the next generation of 10 baggers.
MDBX is another good one, but be prepared for some extreme volatility. The 52-week range is from $8-$100, and two years ago, it shot up 3,000% in one week.

I don't smoke pot, and even if it is legalized nationwide, I won't. But is pot any worse than sugar, BigPharma drugs, booze or cigarettes (all of which are sold by publicly-held corporations)? They ALL have health implications, and there aren't enough hours in the day to consume as much marijuana as sugar.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Apparently humans aren't the only species that enjoys getting high:

Docu reveals dolphins chew, pass around puffer fish to experience*high | SciTech | GMA News Online

Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Same reason we do not just let valium be a across the counter drug.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
There is currently no way to road test pot impaired drivers, and that alone is a good enough reason. It is also a major contributor to mental health issues, which drives health care costs up.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Judging from his behavior, I think "once" is misleading term. I'm pretty sure he continues to do so.

I'm a proponent of legalization, and a self-admitted user, but let's face it, making important decisions while under the influence is a bad decision in the first place.
I'm suspicious of his claims about his pot usage. He lies about so many things, and I think that lying was something he became addicted to as a young child to make up for his completely dysfunctional "family". I could see him lying about pot so he could appear to be cool and connect with the college-aged crowd. One look at Obama when he wears his mom-jeans and you realize there's nothing cool about him.

But your comment about "I'm pretty sure he continues to do so" did make me laugh, because that would help explain most of his behavior!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The government is fighting so hard against marijuana that they just let 2 states legalize it...
Two states legalized it on a state level, but it is still illegal on a federal level. If the federal government is so inclined they can go into those two states and start arresting people on federal charges, even though the state has legalized it. Now are the chances of that high at the moment? Probably not, but don't be looking any time soon for the federal government to be legalizing pot sale and distribution. They aren't going to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies