Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Stupid Obama and the liberals backing his Obamacare... they only focused on the health insurance aspect of access to healthcare and completely ignored the insanely high costs of medical care and pharmaceuticals. The bill should have also place caps on medical malpractice suits, which in turn would lower the cost of malpractice insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Stupid Obama and the liberals backing his Obamacare... they only focused on the health insurance aspect of access to healthcare and completely ignored the insanely high costs of medical care and pharmaceuticals. The bill should have also place caps on medical malpractice suits, which in turn would lower the cost of malpractice insurance.
What is with you people and Tort Reform. I doesn't lower costs

And lol at Obama and democrats being liberal on healthcare. Obama is stupid for taking an idea from the right wing via The Heritage Foundation and trying to make it work. But this is the best we can do when even some democrats opposed a public OPTION....not even single payer. Only way to resolve these issues is single payer, getting rid of the fee for service model and giving the government the power to negotiate for lower prices on medical supplies, drugs and procedures....only then will healthcare costs come down and only then will every american have health coverage AND health care

Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's the providers that are the problem:

Quote:
Insurers aren’t even where the big money goes. In 2009, Forbes ranked health insurance as the 35th most profitable industry, with an anemic 2.2 percent return on revenue. To understand why the U.S. health-care system is so expensive, you need to travel higher up the Forbes list. The pharmaceutical industry was in third place, with a 19.9 percent return, and the medical products and equipment industry was right behind it, with a 16.3 percent return. Meanwhile, doctors are more likely than members of any other profession to have incomes in the top 1 percent...
More: What Liberals Don

Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's the providers that are the problem:

More: What Liberals Don
Actually unless the doctors actually own the hospitals, surgery centers and run their own labs, it's highly unlikely providers are the problem with healthcare costs. Providers income as a percentage of total US spending is the second lowest in the world. At 8% of total healthcare cost. Only the UK spends less on helathcare provider income than the US.

Physician Compensation 8% of Costs | Healthcare Solutions News

Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am one of those who have no issues and won't sign up. I will not subsidize anyone but myself. The fine is cheaper and the ER turns no one away.

Be prepared for a $4K - $8K bill every time you go to the ER. You won't qualify for the insurance rates so you will be billed 100% of the allowable charges.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Affordable Care for EVERYONE! Whatta concept!
It's a great concept. The law which carries the same name doesn't provide that, however.

Case in point: My girlfriend and I have purchased individual policies. The combined monthly cost for those two policies is just shy of what we pay in rent for a four bedroom house in a fairly upscale area (the mayor and several celebrities live in our neighborhood). Her two boys (18 and 20) had to apply for Medicaid, because we simply can't afford to add them to her policy, or buy separate policies for them.

There is NOTHING "affordable" about the "Affordable Care Act."

Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
So if you are a Tea Partyin Republican on Medicare, Tricare, or VA are you really concerned that a for profit insurance company might lose money with the ACA? The government pays out more than 300 billion a year on those programs. When is the last time Medicare, Tricare, and VA went over their budgets...no body cares on those programs do they...Those programs are free, oh I forgot they are earned and we dont care what they cost. The taxpayer pays for all those programs. Also Humana and I am guessing Aetna will be the next to complain. Where are the non-profits like Blue Cross? They arent complaining are they?
You forgot to mention "mobility scooters." I think you got all of the other SBKTs (Standard BorregoKid Terms) in there, though.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
you will be billed 100% of the allowable charges.
The difference between billed rates and what insurance company contracted rates with the providers are is shocking right across the board. One would think saying "I'll pay in cash!" would get you the cheapest charges but, no, you'll end up paying literally on the order of 100%-1000% more (e.g., visit eye doc - charge $95, insurance paid $43 per contract with eye doc).

Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you understand how those numbers are calculated? For example as I recall "financial fairness" made up 25% of the score, a country that spends $100 per patient would outrank the US as longs everyone in that country was getting $100 worth of care.

That last time the WHO published those figures was in the early part of the last decade and the reason they stopped is because of all the issues related with it.
They also give a lot of weight to "access", meaning countries with socialized medicine automatically have a huge advantage (as it relates to scoring in their "study") over Americans.

I looked at the actual methodology they used once, and it's a complete joke, to the point that it appears that the sole purpose of the study is to make America look bad, and/or to try and push us to go with a single payer system. It really is that ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If he gets cancer, he'll sign up for insurance then and make everyone else pay for his healthcare.
Moochers abound, but there's a problem with that cunning plan: Open enrollment. If you get cancer while uninsured and it's six months from open enrollment, you'll still get to enjoy the unique US privilege of selling all you own to stay alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies