U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,828,478 times
Reputation: 6359

Advertisements

An Honorable Last Wish For A Dying Marine : NPR

Sainz reckons at least 114,000 troops got bad discharges for being gay in the years before "don't ask, don't tell." But many of them don't even know they're eligible to correct their records and get benefits like VA health care or home loans.
For Faulkner, it was never about the benefits, says his lawyer Anne Brooksher-Yen.
"It was really overwhelming seeing Hal finally have this wrong righted," she says. "He is such a wonderful loving man, and he served with honor in the military and it was so important to him."

Some of you might not consider this an apology. I bet he does.

Speaking of which; they took the ban off of sodomy.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/military-...y-gay-sex-DODT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
 
50,486 posts, read 26,667,876 times
Reputation: 15771
He should get his bennies AND back pay with interest adjusted for inflation for whatever time was left remaining on his term when he was forced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,214,929 times
Reputation: 6487
The idea that they should be allowed to "correct their records" is absurd. They deliberately committed fraud the instant they signed that contract with the military, and they knew it. They certainly do not need to be rewarded for committing that criminal act.

Lets not forget that during the Cold War homosexuals that were still "in the closet" made for easy marks for blackmail and other crimes, and that is an unacceptable risk to national security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,828,478 times
Reputation: 6359
If you want to take a bullet for me, I don't care if you are gay or straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Los Awesome, CA
8,520 posts, read 5,001,392 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He should get his bennies AND back pay with interest adjusted for inflation for whatever time was left remaining on his term when he was forced out.
I agree. During don't ask don't tell the federal government was taking private companies to task for discriminating... It's only right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Los Awesome, CA
8,520 posts, read 5,001,392 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The idea that they should be allowed to "correct their records" is absurd. They deliberately committed fraud the instant they signed that contract with the military, and they knew it. They certainly do not need to be rewarded for committing that criminal act.

Lets not forget that during the Cold War homosexuals that were still "in the closet" made for easy marks for blackmail and other crimes, and that is an unacceptable risk to national security.
Don't ask don't tell had nothing to do with the cold war. That's a ridiculous assertion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,214,929 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Don't ask don't tell had nothing to do with the cold war. That's a ridiculous assertion...
DADT was created by the Democrats in 1990, AFTER the Cold War. Get a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Los Awesome, CA
8,520 posts, read 5,001,392 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
DADT was created by the Democrats in 1990, AFTER the Cold War. Get a clue.
Created after the cold war!!! Has something to do with the cold war!!!

Do you understand the difference between these two statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,235 posts, read 20,075,992 times
Reputation: 12984
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
An Honorable Last Wish For A Dying Marine : NPR

Sainz reckons at least 114,000 troops got bad discharges for being gay in the years before "don't ask, don't tell." But many of them don't even know they're eligible to correct their records and get benefits like VA health care or home loans.
For Faulkner, it was never about the benefits, says his lawyer Anne Brooksher-Yen.
"It was really overwhelming seeing Hal finally have this wrong righted," she says. "He is such a wonderful loving man, and he served with honor in the military and it was so important to him."

Some of you might not consider this an apology. I bet he does.

Speaking of which; they took the ban off of sodomy.
Congress lifts ban on consensual gay sex in the military | MSNBC
Just have to love the Marines. I especially love the part

""I didn't think that maybe I would last through all the battles that we've had, but a Marine is always a Marine," Faulkner said at the ceremony.

Faulkner said, "I will always be a Marine. Thank you. Semper fi."

The young marines answered him back with the Marines battle cry: "Oorah."

Makes me smile.

Beautiful story. It is such a shame that this gentleman who served the country didn't receive what he deserved. I am glad that he finally got what he deserved. It is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,214,929 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Created after the cold war!!! Has something to do with the cold war!!!

Do you understand the difference between these two statements?
Obviously reading comprehension is not a skill you possess.

During the Cold War (which was obviously before DADT for those without knowledge of history) it was prohibited for any homosexual to join the military. Any homosexual who did join the military had to deliberately commit fraud by denying being a homosexual. Every homosexual in the military during the Cold War was "in the closet." Which made them an automatic national security risk. It also automatically makes them criminals who deliberately committed fraud.

Although, I cannot say I am surprised that liberal freaks would seek to reward criminals, especially considering who they put into the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top