Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So health insurance is tyranny, but things like the requirement to buy auto insurance is not?

Oh yeah, Obama didn't impliment auto insurance...so it is okay.
Wow, I thought liberals gave up that ignorant comparison years ago. Nobody is required to buy auto insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The thing I don't get from Obama and the rest of his cohorts is this:

For the vast majority young adults. And I really mean it. For the vast majority of young adults since most are super duper healthy. And I've posted numberous times. When you compare high quality HSA compatible (nothing out of pocket after say a $2500 max in network deductible for around $100-150/month in 2013 pre ACA).

Compare that to the crap that's offered on the exchanges. Either keep the premiums around $150/month but jack up the deducdtible to double ($6000). Or jack up the premiums ($300) and keep the $2500 deductible.

And Obama and his cohorts go on live TV and claim these 2014 plans are "more affordable and more comprehensive" than comprehensive plans offered in 2013 that I showed were just as comprehensive and cheaper.

Than they go on saying, "well with subsidies they are cheaper". Yet it's been shown time and time again, even if a young adults makes less than 400% of poverty, they may not even qualify for a susbsidy because the subsidies are based on "gold" premiums that also need to be less than 9.5% of their AGI.

So a young person's "gold" premium may only be $200/month with a $2000 max out of pocket expense in the ACA. What's silly is if that young person makes 25K a year, clearly below 400% of poverity, THEY WOULD NOT qualify for subsidies even at around 250% of poverty.

You gotta be real poor to qualify if you are young adult the way to rigged the premiums to make it "look" affordable. But it's not.

The vast majority of young adults uninsured had good options pre ACA like I stated. Yet they chose to stay on the sidelines because they thought paying $100-150/month was unaffordable. What makes you think paying double the deductible is going to make it appear more affordable.

They are hoping that if they repeat the lie enough times that people won't look into it. As the young go out on their own (ah hum) they won't know the difference pre and post Obamacare. For those who do know the difference they are don't see them as being able to add and subtract.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So health insurance is tyranny, but things like the requirement to buy auto insurance is not?

Oh yeah, Obama didn't impliment auto insurance...so it is okay.
“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It takes a special kind of mind to think it's clever to pay a penalty for nothing just to stick it to The Man.
You didn't read the article, did you? It's about how it is cheaper to use short-term insurance instead of Obamacare exchanges, whether you get sick or not.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
You didn't read the article, did you? It's about how it is cheaper to use short-term insurance instead of Obamacare exchanges, whether you get sick or not.
I fail to see the problem if it's less a less expensive option while still providing adequate coverage.

Also, one can "escape Obamacare" by not using the exchanges and have your insurance agent find you a plan.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I fail to see the problem if it's less a less expensive option while still providing adequate coverage.

Also, one can "escape Obamacare" by not using the exchanges and have your insurance agent find you a plan.
Yes you can avoid using the Obamacare website by going through an agent and it is advised especially if you know you don't qualify for a subsidy but you don't escape Obamacare insurance. Your options are the same. Outrageous monthly healthcare premiums, sky high deductibles and oop.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes you can avoid using the Obamacare website by going through an agent and it is advised especially if you know you don't qualify for a subsidy but you don't escape Obamacare insurance. Your options are the same. Outrageous monthly healthcare premiums, sky high deductibles and oop.
No. If you are a gainfully employed, healthy young person a high deductible plan makes a lot of sense. Having to pay-off a $6000 deductible makes a lot more sense over the long term than paying a higher premium every month but no deductible. So I don't get why opponents are now so concerned about high premiums and/or high deductibles. Were they concerned when insurance companies offered low premiums for plans theat didn't cover anything and the patient was then stuck with a hospital bill that far exceeded the cost of the higher deductible?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
No. If you are a gainfully employed, healthy young person a high deductible plan makes a lot of sense. Having to pay-off a $6000 deductible makes a lot more sense over the long term than paying a higher premium every month but no deductible. So I don't get why opponents are now so concerned about high premiums and/or high deductibles. Were they concerned when insurance companies offered low premiums for plans theat didn't cover anything and the patient was then stuck with a hospital bill that far exceeded the cost of the higher deductible?
Yep but now my reasonable monthly premium and reasonable deductible shot up almost 40% because of Obamacare. The funny thing is you are still trying to convince me that it's a good thing. LOL

Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Oh and according to you everyone is gainfully employed healthy and young. Screw everyone else. Yep, that's how liberals see it.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:

^^^ You posted misinformation and nonsense. At least have the decency to stop misleading people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies