Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I still dont get why texting in a theater would bother anyone as all you are doing is moving your thumbs..

It sure as Hell wouldn't bother me. Then again, I'm not a busy body who feels that I have to snitch on people for every little minor annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Did the texter assault Reeves in any way?
Popcorn was thrown. Of course the only logical response is to unholster your gun and shoot.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't particularly care for the NRA or the proliferation of guns but one thing guns do is prevent bullies from running roughshod upon the weak. He thought he could intimidate the old man and he was severely mistaken.
Whaaah? We must be on a completely different news article as it was the OLD MAN who was doing the intimidating. He started this, he left it, he returned to it, then he shot someone.

Cripes; how can people twist this into an old man being intimidated and that intimidation being a justification for the taking of a human life using a firearm in a crowded theater.

Guns can prevent bullies from running roughshod over the weak but in this case it would seem a gun enabled a bully to murder someone without the exercising of even limited mental skills.

I'll say it once again for your edifice since you ignored it before: In this particular case a gun provided the ability for someone who is dumber than a bag of rocks to take a human life over a verbal disagreement that BOTH parties had the ability to walk away from. Implied threat will not stand the litmus test of party being unable to disengage from that threat.

All that was needed was for this retired cop to remember he was retired, with no authority above that of average citizen status and simply turn and walk away if he felt threatened.

Hope the family of deceased has major bucks to form a civil suite, ALA OJ, so this retired cop if not charged, spends his remaining days pushing a shopping cart around Tampa looking for empty bottles and aluminum cans.

Imagine for a second, if he had not had that stupid, false bravado inducing gun on his person, what steps he might have taken differently and where he'd be sitting today.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
This case has nothing to do with political persuasion or the 2nd Amendment, anyone who supports what Reeves did has serious issues, and I sure hope they don't own a firearm.

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Evidently there was a physical confrontation. Have we forgotten the lessons from Zimmerman/Martin already? What happens before the confrontation is somewhat irrelevant. The question is did the shooter have a reasonable fear for his life? We will see, I suspect he did. An aggressive rude 40 something would pose a threat to a 70 year old.
No, some of us have not forgotten the lesson of Zimmerman/Martin, which seems to be, according to Edward and the other gun nuts on this thread, that if you carry a gun and use it, the other guy obviously deserved it.

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Did the texter assault Reeves in any way?
We don't know. Just like the Zimmerman case all we know is that the was a physical confrontation as described by witnesses. We also know the dead man confronted the shooter after he returned to the theater after complaining about the texting.

I wonder what the legality of carrying a gun into the theater is in FL? Was he charged with a gun crime? I suspect he'd be exempt since he's an ex-cop.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yep. Here it is.

St. Paul man dies trying to retrieve phone from Chicago River; woman presumed dead.
St. Paul man dies trying to retrieve phone from Chicago River; woman presumed dead | Star Tribune

People are way too addicted to their gadgets.
IT'S JANUARY! In Chicago! Wtf!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So now you are arguing they should have handled this man to man? Well they did and the texting guy is dead. What's the problem?

No! Reeves should have kept his damn mouth shut over something as trivial as texting in a movie theatre. To me all it seems is that Reeves was trying to exert control over someone else! At any rate, I can see if Reeves felt threatened if the guy would have followed him to the parking lot in an attempt to start a physical altercation, then perhaps deadly force would have been justified. But that didn't happen did it?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I still dont get why texting in a theater would bother anyone as all you are doing is moving your thumbs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Same here.

If someone like that old man is so bothered by noises such as texting, eating popcorn, annoying kids, people talking or candy wrapper noises, they need stay home and wait for the DVD.
Probably didn't adjust the brightness

Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Popcorn was thrown. Of course the only logical response is to unholster your gun and shoot.

Look I'm as big as a 2nd Amendment supporter as anyone, but does anyone ever know how to take the high road anymore for cryin' out loud? Apparently not. And no... popcorn being thrown is no excuse to bust a cap in someone! Had the guy followed him out to the parking lot in attempt to assault him, then that would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies