Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Many poor people do not have money to pay for a gym membership so it is hard to get exercise. Yes they could walk/run outside but many poor people live in bad neighborhoods where it is not safe to walk and the streets to walk on are not well kept and can be hard on your feet.
Unbelievable. Mankind has lived for centuries without ever having a gym and they didn't get fat. I've never been in a gym and I'm not fat. You can exercise ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not moving goal posts. The argument made by some people on here is that poor people can eat healthy, and that it costs less.
Yes, it's quite easy to do that. But I never said for $10 per week. Healthy food costs less than unhealthy prepared food.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
The argument made here is that it is less expensive to eat healthy home cooked meals vs getting obese by eating too much fast food, or bags of Let's potato chips.
Nutrient profiles aside - it costs less to be thin than to be fat. Period.
Exactly! Those of us who buy healthy groceries every week have first hand knowledge what basic healthy foods cost.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The US in general has a problem with "portion control" but it's really bad in the South. I remember eating in Louisiana and the size of the BBQ plates for lunch or crawfish platters were enormous...
I agree and get a "to go" box more than half the time when eating out.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't say it was YOU who mentioned food stamps, so perhaps that last bit of advice is better directed at you. Oh, and I have excellent vision coverage and just got new glasses. So my vision is quite good at the moment, thanks.

Still think you need to get a life, if laughing at complete strangers seems like a normal & mature thing to do. Whether you actually care about them or not, judging like that is still an odd behavior to me... but apparently we were raised with different values.
I don't laugh out loud... I just have a slight inner chuckle about it. It's kind of a perfect representation of the standards in this country... I've travelled round the world, and no countries seems to do extreme fatness like the US of A. When you see someone at that stage of obesity, buying a huge shopping cart of junk food, you sort of realize that it's not simply a glandular problem at that point... I'm not talking about the merely slightly overweight though. How am I judging them? They're free to live their life the way they want...I just think it's odd that they either don't care or don't stop to think about it if they do care...

Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Why do YOU care, is a better question.... and why are you not only looking into other people's carts, but then judging and laughing at them? Seems you need to get a life.

You must be a conservative too, since based on what I've read on this forum, conservatives also love to judge what people on food stamps are buying. For a party that claims to be all about "personal freedoms" and no government intervention, y'all sure do spend a lot of time prying into everyone else's lives! At a grocery store with complete strangers, no less. Weird.
Pathetic, bigoted post of the day. Do you realize what you posted? You condemn a poster for Judging others that they don't know. Just like you did in your post!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I doubt many of them intended to be single mothers... divorce, death of a spouse, runaway men, etc, are usually not things women plan to happen.
And I doubt that you know what they intended, especially since most of their babies are born while they are single.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Exactly! Those of us who buy healthy groceries every week have first hand knowledge what basic healthy foods cost.
I love saving money when I go on a health-food kick.

Today's dinner is half a pound of chicken breast, a pound of asparagus, and a side of brown rice.
About $2.50.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't laugh out loud... I just have a slight inner chuckle about it. It's kind of a perfect representation of the state of affairs in this country... I've travelled round the world, and no countries seems to do extreme fatness like the US of A. When you see someone at that stage of obesity, buying a huge shopping cart of junk food, you sort of realize that it's not simply a glandular problem at that point... I'm not talking about the merely slightly overweight though. How am I judging them? They're free to live their life the way they want...
It was the way you said it in your first post - "When I see a fat person with xxxx in their cart, I laugh" (or however it was put exactly). I don't generally go around laughing at other people, inwardly or outwardly, unless they actually do something worth laughing about... and IMO, how other people choose to eat is not a laughable event. But hey, to each their own!

Besides, this discussion is specifically about POOR folks who are overweight; so how do you know the financial status of the person in front of you? And how do you even know for whom they're buying the food? One thing I've learned as a public librarian is not to make snap judgments, as you NEVER know the individual's situation.

For example, you don't know their history, why they have a weight problem, and/or what they do outside of eating some junk food... I have a sweet tooth and bad habit of indulging it, but I'm also 50lbs lighter than I was a decade ago, and currently losing a steady 1-3lbs/week. Because even though I eat junk sometimes, I exercise daily and have a low calorie intake (just need to watch my sugars). But I still carry a bit of extra weight, so you'd probably think I was getting fatter instead of thinner, and only ate junk foods with no exercise attached. Not true.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
I love saving money when I go on a health-food kick.

Today's dinner is half a pound of chicken breast, a pound of asparagus, and a side of brown rice.
About $2.50.
Meanwhile, those poor fat people have to pay $4.50 for a big mac and wash it down with a 1000 calorie milkshake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies