Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 AM

147 posts, read 595,919 times

Advertisements

I don't consider myself to be a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I wonder... Do you think the government (for whatever reason) has discovered or developed cures for certain cancers or other health problems but withholds them to simply "keep the system flowing"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalPartisan View Post
I don't consider myself to be a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I wonder... Do you think the government (for whatever reason) has discovered or developed cures for certain cancers or other health problems but withholds them to simply "keep the system flowing"?

No-

Most medical research is funded through the NIH and the drug industry, but performed in universities. EVERY new development is published, as that is how one is promoted and/or gains tenure. Developments in the drug industry (as they are motivated to make a profit) may not appear in the literature, but if profitable, are put into production.

There is no such thing as secrets, but lies are widespread.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
There would be no reason why, and I have no idea what "keep the system flowing" would mean.

The government doesn't do a lot of the research, private companies and universities do the research. That everyone involved...from students, to research scientists, to administrators, and even investors would never peep doesn't make any sense. Even the relatively small real conspiracies get outed pretty quickly, and evidence is provided.

Also, drugs make big profits. Gilead recently put out a reformulation (not even new) of their AID's drug with fewer side effects, and lower cost. It is estimated to make $4.3 billion. A novel drug would make even more. Even if they were 100% selfish *******s...what person in their right mind would keep themselves from being a multimillionare (even hundreds) in controling the drug patents to keep a few people from living a bit longer?

Conspiracies like these break down quickly with minimal critical thinking.

Also, when people say "I am not a {blank} but..." it usually means that they are. Not just that they are, but usually they have been informed of their issue by quite a number of people they have talked to. Normal people already get that.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No-

There is no such thing as secrets, but lies are widespread.
Only defenders are defensive.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
There would be no reason why, and I have no idea what "keep the system flowing" would mean.
Well, the system can flow with prune juice, or with prunes incarnate.

Fiber puts doctors out of work.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Default I'm not a conspiracy theorist; Is the government withholding?

Yes they are, or, yes it is.

Doctors should be thought of as priests of the medical industry.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Well, the system can flow with prune juice, or with prunes incarnate.

Fiber puts doctors out of work.
Yet fiber has never been outlawed. What happened to the conspiracy to help the "priests" keep their jobs?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yet fiber has never been outlawed. What happened to the conspiracy to help the "priests" keep their jobs?
They're in the peasant class, now.

Guess they'll just have to disorganize.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
if anyone were withholding it would be the drug co(medical community) and/or the FDA and the agents/gov officials it was purchased from. It would be nothing new. Sometimes " The medical community is slow to accept findings. " Making lots of money in the process of non acceptance.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I think the notion that "government" would withhold such information shows a misunderstanding of the structure and power of government. First off, government is composed of individuals, and there is no way millions of government employees and collaborative researchers would accept such a gag order. Second, the government does not have the ability to stifle scientific findings. They have very little role in the peer review and publication of scientific research, so I don't think this is remotely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies