U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,747 posts, read 8,253,400 times
Reputation: 16159

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's it, it was a cheap 'gotcha' attempt. They distorted what the guy said by playing up the irrelevant and incidental 'nightie' reference. Yellow journalism at its finest, as nonsenseguy said. And it is all defended by the usual lefty suspects.

Let's consider what the predictable consequences are of not taking into account the issue of false accusation of rape. It's just like the race card. It inflames those falsely accused, and inflames those who buy into the accusations, creating division and hostility. And it dilutes the impact of genuine accusations, creating a 'boy cried wolf' effect.

Anyone remember the Brian Banks case from last year? Duke Lacrosse ring a bell?
Brian Banks, exonerated in rape case, cut from Atlanta Falcons - Los Angeles Times
Great to see you standing up for the one or two falsely accused rapists. Fact is, far far more rapists go free than are falsely accused. Really know how to pick your causes huh? Do you stand up for all those minority group members who are falsely accused of crimes as well? Bet more of them go to jail, and/or are executed.


 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,533 posts, read 2,386,768 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great to see you standing up for the one or two falsely accused rapists. Fact is, far far more rapists go free than are falsely accused. Really know how to pick your causes huh? Do you stand up for all those minority group members who are falsely accused of crimes as well? Bet more of them go to jail, and/or are executed.
Out of curiosity, how does one go about calculating the number of unreported sexual assaults? By definition of the word "unreported"; there is no way of knowing that a crime occurred, nor is there a way to rationally determine whether or not that incident meets the legal definition of a crime.

It's perfectly reasonable to make an abstract suggestion that the nature of sexual assault is such that it likely results in some unreported cases. It's another matter altogether to argue that anyone could possibly know what that number might be.

The truth is that we don't have any idea how many cases of sexual assault go unreported, any more than we know how many allegations are ultimately fraudulent.

The rational course of action is to encourage and facilitate the reporting of criminal behavior, and to vigorously investigate the reports that are made. Anything beyond that is speculation, and falls more in the realm of politics than statistics.

As for minorities, a disproportionate number of those wrongly imprisoned for sexual assault (and subsequently cleared via DNA evidence) are African-American Men.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 PM
 
23,950 posts, read 17,614,658 times
Reputation: 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great to see you standing up for the one or two falsely accused rapists.
just want to see if I have this straight: you're claiming that only one or two men in the US have ever been falsely accused of rape.

is this correct?
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,747 posts, read 8,253,400 times
Reputation: 16159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Out of curiosity, how does one go about calculating the number of unreported sexual assaults? By definition of the word "unreported"; there is no way of knowing that a crime occurred, nor is there a way to rationally determine whether or not that incident meets the legal definition of a crime.

It's perfectly reasonable to make an abstract suggestion that the nature of sexual assault is such that it likely results in some unreported cases. It's another matter altogether to argue that anyone could possibly know what that number might be.

The truth is that we don't have any idea how many cases of sexual assault go unreported, any more than we know how many allegations are ultimately fraudulent.

The rational course of action is to encourage and facilitate the reporting of criminal behavior, and to vigorously investigate the reports that are made. Anything beyond that is speculation, and falls more in the realm of politics than statistics.

As for minorities, a disproportionate number of those wrongly imprisoned for sexual assault (and subsequently cleared via DNA evidence) are African-American Men.
I could spend hours consolidating the research (and then possibly be deleted for being off-topic after all that) so I'll just link you to the citations of the studies and research. Obviously the social and behavioral sciences are not exact sciences, but many studies are done on this subject in the US and internationally using the best methodology that can be used in social and behavioral science studies. Many social and behavioral scientists devote their lives to producing the most exact studies and methodologies they can, because they are, in fact, not exact sciences. Since most of the studies and research are in PDF format, I will not post them here, but you can access them through the article. If you disagree with the methodology of the research or the underlying data or research of the studies themselves, would be interested to know what flaws you find. After all, we are all interested in the truth.

The Enliven Project – The truth about false accusation
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,533 posts, read 2,386,768 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I could spend hours consolidating the research (and then possibly be deleted for being off-topic after all that) so I'll just link you to the citations of the studies and research. Obviously the social and behavioral sciences are not exact sciences, but many studies are done on this subject in the US and internationally using the best methodology that can be used in social and behavioral science studies. Many social and behavioral scientists devote their lives to producing the most exact studies and methodologies they can, because they are, in fact, not exact sciences. Since most of the studies and research are in PDF format, I will not post them here, but you can access them through the article. If you disagree with the methodology of the research or the underlying data or research of the studies themselves, would be interested to know what flaws you find. After all, we are all interested in the truth.

The Enliven Project – The truth about false accusation
My question was actually rhetorical. I'm quite familiar with the numerous feminist rape studies available. My point is that rape (I'm using the term here to reflect all types of sexual assault) is a legal term, with a legal definition. No one is in a position to have any knowledge of whether or not that legal definition was met by an incident which, by acknowledgement, bypassed the legal process.

The Enliven Project rape chart suggests the following:

Only ten percent of rapists are ever reported.

Only three percent of rapists are ever prosecuted.

Only one percent of rapists ever serve jail time.

Only 0.2 percent of rapists are falsely accused--note that the internal logic of the chart claims that those falsely accused are still rapists!

For anyone to argue that they have statistical knowledge of unreported rapes is asinine, and can serve no purpose beyond the ideological pursuit of gender politics. Such "statistics" have all the validity of arguing that there are seventeen undiscovered species of beetles, or 103 unknown solar systems.

If we really want the truth, we need to start by being intellectually honest in dealing with the issue of sexual assault, and that means not fabricating numbers for dramatic effect.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 13,597,202 times
Reputation: 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great to see you standing up for the one or two falsely accused rapists. Fact is, far far more rapists go free than are falsely accused. Really know how to pick your causes huh? Do you stand up for all those minority group members who are falsely accused of crimes as well? Bet more of them go to jail, and/or are executed.


Thank you for a resplendent example of loony left logic. I don't want falsely accused rapists to be put behind bars, ergo, I am in favor of letting real rapists go free, as well as damning falsely accused minorities. Thanks for that illustrative post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top