Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:22 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Trans-Pacific Partnership, which would grant enormous new powers to corporations, is a massive assault on democracy.

The TPP has been cleverly misbranded as a trade agreement (yawn) by its corporate boosters. As a result, since George W. Bush initiated negotiations in 2008, it has cruised along under the radar. The Obama administration initially paused the talks, ostensibly to develop a new approach compatible with candidate

Obama’s pledges to replace the old NAFTA-based trade model. But by late 2009, talks restarted just where Bush had left off. Think of the TPP as a stealthy delivery mechanism for policies that could not survive public scrutiny. Indeed, only two of the twenty-six chapters of this corporate Trojan horse cover traditional trade matters.

The rest embody the most florid dreams of the 1 percent—grandiose new rights and privileges for corporations and permanent constraints on government regulation. They include new investor safeguards to ease job offshoring and assert control over natural resources, and severely limit the regulation of financial services, land use, food safety, natural resources, energy, tobacco, healthcare and more.

NAFTA on Steroids | The Nation

Contact you repesentatives and tell them "NO WAY!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I know absolutely nothing about the Trans-Pacific Partnership. However, I do know that if you oppose it, then it must be good for the US. I will support it on that basis alone.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
i know absolutely nothing about the trans-pacific partnership. However, i do know that if you oppose it, then it must be good for the us. I will support it on that basis alone.

lol!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I know absolutely nothing about the Trans-Pacific Partnership. However, I do know that if you oppose it, then it must be good for the US. I will support it on that basis alone.
Guess by that logic you must be a huge fan of NAFTA.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So you prefer that Americans permanently lose 10 Million jobs instead of 5 Million?

That's smart.

I hope you can pay for their life-style.

Trading comparatively....

Mircea

Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Well said to the anti- capitalist poster.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:09 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So you prefer that Americans permanently lose 10 Million jobs instead of 5 Million?

That's smart.

Mircea
Perhaps you could offer further details?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

That's smart.

Mircea
Clinton said this would be good for us too. I find it challenging to believe this has really been a good idea.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
I also disagree with sick of ny on most issues. However, the TPP is really bad. None of us want this to go through.

TPP & One World Government - YouTube

Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
More information with direct links to leaked drafts. In these threads. They have been in a big hurry fast tracking this.
TPP Provision to Pursue Criminal Charges Against Those Who "Aid and Abet" Copyright Infringement
quote:
Kei's Breakdown of the latest wikileaks release of this agreement.
KEI analysis of Wikileaks leak of TPP IPR text, from August 30, 2013 | Knowledge Ecology International
quote:
The text reveals that the most anti-consumer and anti-freedom country in the negotiations is the United States, taking the most extreme and hard-line positions on most issues. But the text also reveals that several other countries in the negotiation are willing to compromise the public’s rights, in a quest for a new trade deal with the United States.
The United States and other countries have defended the secrecy of the negotiations in part on the grounds that the government negotiators receive all the advice they need from 700 corporate advisors cleared to see the text. The U.S. negotiators claim that the proposals need not be subject to public scrutiny because they are merely promoting U.S. legal traditions. Other governments claim that they will resist corporate right holder lobbying pressures. But the version released by Wikileaks reminds us why government officials supervised only by well-connected corporate advisors can’t be trusted.
An enduring mystery is the appalling acceptance of the secrecy by the working news media.

Leaders seek to finish TPP deal this year

Remember *the* head of the NSA said IP is the future of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies