Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then you are judging people wrong. I know people who are middle class and wealthy that have tattoos. My mother, my sister, and I have tattoos and are not poor or lower working class.

Heck, do you consider an old military man with a tattoo poor or lower working class?

You have just been left behind in the world and to many people tattoos are no longer taboo.
They should difiantly be done with some class. Some are just WTF, why would someone do that! My problem to why I never got one is seeing how they get wider and sag as one gets older. Those stomach and ass tattoos are going to be hilarious in the ole' folks home.

In another thread people concerned those who went to bars part of the lowest common denominator, don't tattoo people go to bars......maybe, they will step in with their opinion.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Why did so many people used to have mullets? Or was it just poor people?

Fads are not dependent upon economic class, per se. Tattoos are a fad that will be looked upon by the next generation as mullets, spandex, and bellbottoms are looked upon by today's generations. Corsets were a fad for women at one time. How do we view tightlace corsets now?

Every generation has a supposed "rebel yell." It makes me laugh because it has all been done before, including the ass-crack pants thing. At some point down the road tattoos (and ass-crack pants) will be an old-folks rest home thing and the kids will shake their heads and laugh. My generation laughed at the fads of the fifties and sixties. The cycle continues...

Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Aren't tats an unnecessary expense?
What makes you assume that one has to pay to get a tattoo?

Prisons are filled with talented tattoo artist who create tattoos for a couple of cigarettes.

Aspiring tattoo artist work on their friends and family, just to build a portfolio of work.

Your assumptions are just that, assumptions.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I'm thinking of having my Social Security number tattooed on my forearm.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
I just see the hobby of getting tattooed the same way I see other self image based and expensive hobbies... unwise and non-future focused.

But having tattoos equaling being poor? No

Last edited by Texas Minded; 10-12-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Fads are not dependent upon economic class, per se. Tattoos are a fad that will be looked upon by the next generation as mullets, spandex, and bellbottoms are looked upon by today's generations. Corsets were a fad for women at one time. How do we view tightlace corsets now?

Every generation has a supposed "rebel yell." It makes me laugh because it has all been done before, including the ass-crack pants thing. At some point down the road tattoos (and ass-crack pants) will be an old-folks rest home thing and the kids will shake their heads and laugh. My generation laughed at the fads of the fifties and sixties. The cycle continues...
Big difference is the mullet can be changed real easily and the corset can be taken off. Tats, not so easy. Even piercings can be removed and most people won't see the tiny holes from them.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Why do so many poor people have tattoos?

Aren't tats an unnecessary expense?
So are cornrows and hair extensions. And fake nails. And spinner hubcaps, and fake bling.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
I was born in the mid-40s and I laugh at the fads of the 50s and 60s. Of course, it helps that I spent the entire 60s in a military school and then in the military myself though the entire 70s.

Most fads have proved to be ridiculous, time-limited and most faded away although retro is popular among some. Tats are far more permanent and may, in the end for some, be all the more laughable, limiting and regrettable.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:

But as I always say the questionable choices of our youth are not a permanent disfigurement.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Tattoos are a fad. Looking how many singers, pro athletes have tats....its a "look".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies