Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So when will Dems stop trapping kids in abysmally performing public schools?

The unions ruined the public school system. Implement vouchers. Make schools compete for students and for their existence.

They won't. When the interests of the poor are opposed by the interests of some other constituency, the poor lose.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I disagree with the bold. And as far as the budget goes, there's definitely money for it.

We need more funding for after school programs and athletics at some of our inner city schools. Better security. More programs for the kid's parents and for the communities they come from. Smaller classes and more staff specialized in dealing with the kids in that particular community.

Education definitely needs more funding. From K-12 all the way through college.
Take it from the bloated bureaucracies first.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Quote:

Why? Why does it need more funding?

Please, explain this. Because there are cases where Indians come from schools in their country where the floors are not even finished and are two grade levels ahead of their American peers in maths and sciences.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Take it from the bloated bureaucracies first.
Agree.

Now that we know that the DEA is working with the largest Cartel in Mexico, I think that'd be a great place to start.

Many "defense" budgets need to be cut.

(And I believe your a Conservative? I'm for welfare reform. Give more benefits to those working, less for those who aren't.)

Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/op...ml?ref=opinion

It is refreshing to see someone not afraid to talk of the true root causes, which are often self-inflicted wounds.

Income inequality among childless burger flippers is not caused by insufficient wages?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Why? Why does it need more funding?

Please, explain this. Because there are cases where Indians come from schools in their country where the floors are not even finished and are two grade levels ahead of their American peers in maths and sciences.
Well I explained some reasons in my post. Being exposed to the environment we're discussing I know some of the reasons my peers were not "successful" and are struggling as adults. My junior high and high school wasn't all roses.

India is a completely different environment than what we're talking about. For one, many Indian kids don't have to worry about getting killed going to school. They don't have the gangs on the same scale. The drug culture is different (Thanks DEA!!). It's just a totally different culture.

I do know things that would work in this country however.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I disagree with the bold. And as far as the budget goes, there's definitely money for it.

We need more funding for after school programs and athletics at some of our inner city schools. Better security. More programs for the kid's parents and for the communities they come from. Smaller classes and more staff specialized in dealing with the kids in that particular community.

The US already spends the most per pupil on education..$15K per student.

What will "more money" bring ?
You want after school babysitting paid for ?

That will do NOTHING to fix the problems in education because the problems are not with the education itself.

We have a plethora of programs for the parents and communities in schools.
Doesn't help much when the parents don't show up and don't care about their kids' education.

Not all the single parent moms are working 2 jobs to raise their kids.
Somehow those mothers show up to parent/teacher conferences and return phone calls and emails.
But those are in the minority here..that is NOT the norm in these schools.

You think an 20 year old "mother" is going to show up to discuss her 5 year old's behavior problem in school ?

I know of a 17 year old that just had her 3rd kid and dropped out of school.

The problem is not IN the schools here and pouring more money into the schools will do nothing to address the "problem".

Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Quote:
Well I explained some reasons in my post. Being exposed to the environment we're discussing I know some of the reasons my peers were not "successful" and are struggling as adults. My junior high and high school wasn't all roses.

India is a completely different environment than what we're talking about. For one, many Indian kids don't have to worry about getting killed going to school. They don't have the gangs on the same scale. The drug culture is different (Thanks DEA!!). It's just a totally different culture.

I do know things that would work in this country however.
Poor kids in America don't have to worry about being tiger food walking on their way to school....

How does funding schools help gang culture? Like in the current moment? If you appropriate double the funding to the public schools in the hood RIGHT NOW. How does that stop the chances of kids getting killed on the way to school?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The US already spends the most per pupil on education..$15K per student.

What will "more money" bring ?
You want after school babysitting paid for ?

That will do NOTHING to fix the problems in education because the problems are not with the education itself.

We have a plethora of programs for the parents and communities in schools.
Doesn't help much when the parents don't show up and don't care about their kids' education.

Not all the single parent moms are working 2 jobs to raise their kids.
Somehow those mothers show up to parent/teacher conferences and return phone calls and emails.
But those are in the minority here..that is NOT the norm in these schools.

You think an 20 year old "mother" is going to show up to discuss her 5 year old's behavior problem in school ?

I know of a 17 year old that just had her 3rd kid and dropped out of school.

The problem is not IN the schools here and pouring more money into the schools will do nothing to address the "problem".
It's a start. I've seen kids who had absolutely ZERO parent support who were successful do to some of the programs they were exposed to. Their parents were drug addicts or dealers. After school programs, athletics, mentors, etc. all helped them to make it through the system and graduate.

How many inner city schools don't have basic things like athletics?? Sports are a great outlet for kids.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Poor kids in America don't have to worry about being tiger food on their way walking to school....
Your right. But they do have to worry about the wolfs

You ever walked through some of the hoods in South and West Chicago? They've got big guns down there. And they let off every single day. And the Police aren't coming to save you because they're scared their damn selves.

Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies