Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

You ever walked through some of the hoods in South and West Chicago? They've got big guns down there. And they let off every single day. And the Police aren't coming to save you because they're scared their damn selves.

Nope, never.

Just Newark.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Nope, never.

Just Newark.
Imagine growing up in that environment and that's all you see everyday. Imagine seeing someone get shot at point blank and having to go to school the next day. Imagine being threatened by the gangs that you resisted and then getting harassed by the people who are supposed to be protecting you (Police).

There's so many issues in some of our cities that its amazing that as many kids do survive their upbringing.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Quote:
Imagine growing up in that environment and that's all you see everyday. Imagine seeing someone get shot at point blank and having to go to school the next day. Imagine being threatened by the gangs that you resisted and then getting harassed by the people who are supposed to be protecting you (Police).

There's so many issues in some of our cities that its amazing that as many kids do survive their upbringing.
I've seen it.

Again, how does funding help this?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Agree.

Now that we know that the DEA is working with the largest Cartel in Mexico, I think that'd be a great place to start.

Many "defense" budgets need to be cut.

(And I believe your a Conservative? I'm for welfare reform. Give more benefits to those working, less for those who aren't.)
Defense needs cut no doubt but I was speaking more on the education bureaucracies. Get rid of a good portion of the overhead costs. The problem with just giving education more money, too much of it will go to overhead as opposed to where it's needed.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I've seen it.

Again, how does funding help this?
magic

Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/op...ml?ref=opinion

It is refreshing to see someone not afraid to talk of the true root causes, which are often self-inflicted wounds.
The only reason you call this column "excellent" is because it supports your hard right-wing ideology. And since when does it take courage to blame poor people for their own problems? That's been the standard conservative line forever...

Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
It's a start. I've seen kids who had absolutely ZERO parent support who were successful do to some of the programs they were exposed to. Their parents were drug addicts or dealers. After school programs, athletics, mentors, etc. all helped them to make it through the system and graduate.

How many inner city schools don't have basic things like athletics?? Sports are a great outlet for kids.
You are not addressing the problem though.
Until you address the problem it will get worse.

The success rate vs the failure rate needs to be looked at.
Yes, I understand that even if it helps one student that is good. But what about the other 300 ?

The problem is NOT in the school so start looking outside the school.

12 year olds with guns.
14 year olds roaming the neighborhoods at 3am.
drug dealing right out in the open on street corners.

Look at the local police reports for some of these areas and a good number of arrests are for domestic violence among family members.

Kids growing up in these conditions view them as the norm because they have never experienced anything else.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Defense needs cut no doubt but I was speaking more on the education bureaucracies. Get rid of a good portion of the overhead costs. The problem with just giving education more money, too much of it will go to overhead as opposed to where it's needed.
Agreed.

I'm realizing more and more we need massive recalls in some of our bureaucracies. We need people who truly care about what they're doing.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Good column. Government is too focused out evening the results rather than addressing the causes. It makes them look like they're doing something when it's really just window dressing.
Government isnt focused on fixing anything. Government has a need to continue to raise the cost of things in order to make the debt managable..

Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I'm realizing more and more we need massive recalls in some of our bureaucracies. We need people who truly care about what they're doing.
60 years after Eisenhower warned Americans is probably too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies