Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What the above says to me is that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Condition people? I'm posting an opinion on a website. Don't make it anything more than what it is.

Do you and I'll do what I do. I wanna have a JOB to go to. If you don't, that's your business.

"Condition." Lol....unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I like what I do. I will keep doing it until I lose my license for going blind, senile or dropping dead from a heart attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ditto.
And all this is great. I am absolutely in favor of you working until you die, if you so desire. But stop using your self-imposed bravado as an excuse to call out other people for wanting to be able to retire at some point,or to pretend that retired people sit around all day and do nothing while you are being the man by still working.

I enjoy what I do for a living as well, but I'd like to not be shackled to it in order to survive. And when the day arrives that I can go on with my life without being shackled to it, you damn well better believe that it will become nothing more than something I do when I want to, not because i have to.

As for "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about", are you suggesting that retired people DO just sit around all day doing nothing, wishing they could go back and work for the man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Those things don't have anything to do with the discussion at hand. You're sort of sounding like a broken record at this point.

UMMMM, yes they do.

Seniors who used to rely on low-risk, fixed income investments are now making next to nothing if they try to stick with this strategy.

Banks are flush with cash thanks to ZIRP....no need to pay people for their deposits.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
I'm almost 30 and I max out my roth IRA every month and put an additional several hundred a month in my roth 401k.

People who don't save anything for retirement during their working years have only themselves to blame if they can never afford to retire.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

People who don't save anything for retirement during their working years have only themselves to blame if they can never afford to retire.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Here is the thing: If you love what you do, you don't want to retire. I love what I do now. What I do now is my "retirement career." I'm not making a lot (yet), but some things take time.

Rush Limbaugh always said, find out what you love to do, and figure out how to get paid for it." Good advice. He says, whatever is the first thing you want to do in the morning after you get up, figure out how to make a career of it.

But, I have always loved my work, even before my current career. I always loved getting up and going to work in the morning. The benefit of what I do now is that I do it from home. I write. I create Web sites. I love it.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Dang, I live in a rail hub.
Heh, heh.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do the DOT regs apply to you too?
FRA. Federal Railroad Regulations.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Perhaps it's time to bring back the guillotine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies