Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times

Advertisements

Street corner demonstrators in Iowa against Guantanamo torture were holding an upside down American flag (or a 'representation' of the flag?) and dragging it on the ground. This led to a heated confrontation with an Iraq vet. I'm on the vet's side. Just because you have the right to disrespect the flag doesn't mean you should and can't be called out for it. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
So he didnt fight for their freedoms?

P.s. Its just cloth

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So he didnt fight for their freedoms?

P.s. Its just cloth
Freedom of speech means you can be a dick and I can call you a dick. (not directed personally at you Frank)

Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
He'll get over it.

I mean, it's a flag for crying out loud. It ain't like he's holding a baby by its feet upside down.

And what does it matter that he's an Iraq War vet? Doesn't give his words or sentiments anymore gravitas than anyone else.

If he doesn't like it, then don't go to war to protect other people's freedoms.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Freedom of speech means you can be a dick and I can call you a dick. (not directed personally at you Frank)
Well then I agree with you ( on both counts )

Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
Street corner demonstrators in Iowa against Guantanamo torture were holding an upside down American flag (or a 'representation' of the flag?) and dragging it on the ground. This led to a heated confrontation with an Iraq vet. I'm on the vet's side. Just because you have the right to disrespect the flag doesn't mean you should and can't be called out for it. Freedom of speech works both ways.

What section of the 1st amendment allows assault and battery?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He'll get over it.

I mean, it's a flag for crying out loud. It ain't like he's holding a baby by its feet upside down.

And what does it matter that he's an Iraq War vet? Doesn't give his words or sentiments anymore gravitas than anyone else.

If he doesn't like it, then don't go to war to protect other people's freedoms.
Be quiet boy.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Upside down flag = he is in distress

i wouldn't argue with someone in distress, that means he has anxiety problems i just feel too sad that he can't live his life like the rest of us. they should of helped him.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
It is used to signal a country in distress. Do your think we are not in distress? Records numbers of unemployed (government statistics lie because they don't count those that have just given up), debt that has destroyed our future, two failed wars, government spying on citizens and their arrogance about it, and the major initiative of government is to further erode freedoms and rights guaranteed by the constitution.

If I flew a flag, it would be upside down.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is used to signal a country in distress. Do your think we are not in distress? Records numbers of unemployed (government statistics lie because they don't count those that have just given up), debt that has destroyed our future, two failed wars, government spying on citizens and their arrogance about it, and the major initiative of government is to further erode freedoms and rights guaranteed by the constitution.

If I flew a flag, it would be upside down.
Lmfao awe these first world problems sure are getting to you?

And no, we are not all in "distress" like you. a lot of us are happy and doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies