Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times

Advertisements

My first job was delivering newspapers for my brothers and they paid me 50 cents a day to deliver 110 newspapers. Which was a difficult job during the winter in Ohio. Then I shoveled snow for 1-2 dollars a drive way. I enjoyed the snow shoveling job more since it was more profitable. After that I went big time and got a job as a busboy making 1 dollar per hour plus 3-4 dollars in tips after 5 hours. I quit that job and moved up to a Hilton Hotel busboy and made 2 dollars an hour plus 20 dollars a night in tips. This was during the early 1970's which seems like yesterday to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM

7,500 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Minimum wage can't even support 2 people in many areas, but don't let that stop in the poor people bashing
Fear of failure, imagined wrongs and the belief they are entitled to wages without having sufficient skills is what keeps people in minimum wage jobs. It really is that simple. If minimum wage gets a 25% increase then I should get the same increase to compensate.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I have been thinking about this now and then since it first appeared, and I have come to the conclusion that I have NEVER worked for a government-mandated "minimum wage".
My first "real job" after high school was the United States Navy. IIRC, I made less than $50 per month, plus 3 hots and a cot!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
This forum is not an accurate representation of the US population.
If you're talking about political zeal, then I'd agree with you. I'm not sure I do when it comes to life experience, though. We all were born and got older, and experienced a lot of stuff along the way. How you measure on the political extremist scale doesn't negate those experiences.

In other words, I think it's a reasonable enough sampling for this unscientific discussion. The fact remains that after 10 pages, not a single person has claimed to have tried to raise a family on it.

If this was anything other than politicking by Obama and the Democrats in the lead up to a midterm election that they expect to go very, very badly for them, it would have been a national issue for the past several years. It hasn't been. Can you not see when you're being maneuvered like a pawn on a chess board?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Never, I don't see how anyone could live on that.
See, now that's exactly the point. A minimum wage job isn't supposed to be living wage.

This is what happens when that lack of shovel ready jobs and over regulation of the private sector creates a shortage of jobs. Low wage jobs which should be filled by HS and college students, are being filled as a second job, or as full time jobs for the never to climb the ladder uneducated and undocumented laborers.

There's that shared suffering thing rearing its ugly head.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:46 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,858 times
Sure, in theory minimum wage and similar jobs should be for high school kids and for semi retired folks who want to supplement their social security, but that is just not the case anymore. Employers prefer immigrants in these jobs and want people who will stick around a long time with few other choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies