Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think it must be hard to get them illegally too -- or else we would see more of them being used in crimes.
Most criminals use a gun they can buy cheap, they won't buy a full auto cheap and if they are caught with a full auto they won't get a couples of years in prison either, the FBI will demand to know where you got it and the people who sell them are not usually small time thieves, more likely organized crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,114 times
Default full auto

many guns can be easily converted to full auto. I still have the paperwork to switch any sks rifle to full auto. information purposes only of coarse. I have seen and shot full auto glocks, ak-47s, brownings etc. as for not being used in more crimes? I wonder why more silencers arent used. there alot of them around too.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
I know the comparison is about those two guns specifically and I get the point that this is to point out ignorance and/or stupidity of the gun control advocates.

I would still go with the automatic. Here's my reasoning:

Its not necessary for hunting.
In the wrong hands it can result in the greatest loss of life. Go into a crowded room with an automatic and start shooting. How many lives do you think will be taken? Compare that with a rifle.

I think school shootings are inevitable. Society is so violent and people feel so pushed to violent desparate actions that the shootings are going to happen unfortunately. I think if the accessibility is reduced on the automatics and penalties on them stiffened than the loss of life might be reduced.

If not, then I'd like to start petitioning the right to keep large bombs in my house. You know car sized ones. I'll keep a sign in my front yard that says if anyone breaks in it will go off. Thats my protection of choice, and its arming myself, I want the second ammendment to protect that.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I know the comparison is about those two guns specifically and I get the point that this is to point out ignorance and/or stupidity of the gun control advocates.

In the wrong hands it can result in the greatest loss of life. Go into a crowded room with an automatic and start shooting. How many lives do you think will be taken? Compare that with a rifle.

I think school shootings are inevitable. Society is so violent and people feel so pushed to violent desparate actions that the shootings are going to happen unfortunately. I think if the accessibility is reduced on the automatics and penalties on them stiffened than the loss of life might be reduced.

If not, then I'd like to start petitioning the right to keep large bombs in my house. You know car sized ones. I'll keep a sign in my front yard that says if anyone breaks in it will go off. Thats my protection of choice, and its arming myself, I want the second ammendment to protect that.

Thank you. Makes sense to me.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:

None of the firearms shown are automatic...

Old 12-09-2007, 04:01 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
That shows my ignorance on guns. I am aware that mass shootings frequently have guns that can cause a lot of damage quickly. (semi automatic or automatic) I stick by my previous statement as justification against unnecessary automatic firearms.

That said, the one with the smaller magazine and requiring more effort to reload based on the previous reasoning I have said. If one is semi-automatic then yes that one.

I

Old 12-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Lever action rifles can be fired quite quickly....but are not semi-automatic.

A pump action shotgun would have been much more deadly in a crowded area like a mall.

Of course a wine bottle full of gasoline could have caused all sorts of mischief.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lever action rifles can be fired quite quickly....but are not semi-automatic.

A pump action shotgun would have been much more deadly in a crowded area like a mall.

Of course a wine bottle full of gasoline could have caused all sorts of mischief.
Good Grief! Can you imagine the additional carnage with a shotgun????

Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
That shows my ignorance on guns. I am aware that mass shootings frequently have guns that can cause a lot of damage quickly. (semi automatic or automatic) I stick by my previous statement as justification against unnecessary automatic firearms.

That said, the one with the smaller magazine and requiring more effort to reload based on the previous reasoning I have said. If one is semi-automatic then yes that one.
Ok, you say you want limitations on semi auto rifles.

What are your feelings on handguns? For instance, I own a 9mm Glock - when I go to the range, I have multiple magazines that will hold over 20 rounds each. I can eject a mag and reload very quickly

Would you suggest banning these also?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Good Grief! Can you imagine the additional carnage with a shotgun????
What this shows is the lack of knowledge on the part of the shooters.

If a person wanted to cause the most carnage,he would arm himself with a 8 shot pump shotgun loaded with buckshot and a backpack full of more ammo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies