Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Please don't misunderstand; I am not opposed to school choice. I am opposed to the widely-held belief that school choice somehow evens the playing field. It does not, and in some ways it even worsens the stratification. Vouchers are an illusion that allows us to think that we're providing a solution to inequalities in educational access, while creating new problems in the process.
I agree. The best thing to do would be to improve all schools, so we didn't have these "failing schools".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
The problem with the Voucher system is that it won't cure bad parenting. No matter where a child goes to school they will fail if the parents aren't involved or don't recognize the need for a good education. I believe in choice. I don't believe in tax dollars funding baseball teams, football teams or any other form of sporting programs that only benefit a very select few. If that school district can't afford new books or teaching supplies then they have no business fielding a football team.
Vouchers at least give a parent the option of sending their child to a school where the focus is education and only education.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The transportation is already in place. Granted there will be some issues but if you have a good coordinator it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Our district already provides busing for the the private schools.
Yep. Federal law requires that "some" students be guaranteed an education in the least restrictive environment. That sometimes means private schools that cater specifically to certain needs. The local public school district is required to provide transportation for those students.

I have NO idea why ALL students aren't guaranteed an education in the least restrictive environment.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The problem with the Voucher system is that it won't cure bad parenting. No matter where a child goes to school they will fail if the parents aren't involved or don't recognize the need for a good education. I believe in choice. I don't believe in tax dollars funding baseball teams, football teams or any other form of sporting programs that only benefit a very select few. If that school district can't afford new books or teaching supplies then they have no business fielding a football team.
Vouchers at least give a parent the option of sending their child to a school where the focus is education and only education.
In some cases. Many Catholic schools have big sports programs, basketball especially in your state. Some of the bigger ones out here have highly rated football teams, as do some of the other "Christian" schools. Most all the charter schools have sports, as well.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree. The best thing to do would be to improve all schools, so we didn't have these "failing schools".
How is that achieved? I think it has been shown time and time again that simply throwing money at a problem isn't the answer. It has never been the answer. Our system here is flawed. We need to do what other countries do. Aptitude tests drive the curriculum. Johnny's parents want him to be a doctor, but Johnny has no aptitude for biology or anatomy. High school shop class although fun for some is poorly executed. Some Vocational schools do alright but most don't actually go far enough.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How is that achieved? I think it has been shown time and time again that simply throwing money at a problem isn't the answer. It has never been the answer. Our system here is flawed. We need to do what other countries do. Aptitude tests drive the curriculum. Johnny's parents want him to be a doctor, but Johnny has no aptitude for biology or anatomy. High school shop class although fun for some is poorly executed. Some Vocational schools do alright but most don't actually go far enough.
I don't have all the answers, believe me! "Throwing money" no, but figuring out where to best invest it, yes. I think that's where the effort should go.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In some cases. Many Catholic schools have big sports programs, basketball especially in your state. Some of the bigger ones out here have highly rated football teams, as do some of the other "Christian" schools. Most all the charter schools have sports, as well.
And if they do that is fine as long as the focus is education and not the sports program. To many public schools complain about being under funded but maintain these expensive sports programs. I am saying that if you lack funds for educational supplies you better be cutting your sports programs before raising taxes or telling kids they need to share text books. I live in an area where sports reign supreme and I question why they need to raise my $3600.00 in annual school taxes when they also announce the need to expand the football stadium. I wonder why H.S Grads struggle doing basic math in their heads and why they can't seem to write a sentence that can be read and understood.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I want specifics. What processes does your district use to ensure that children have transportation to and from their schools of choice? Describe it for me.

Here's a scenario:

Anthony, Taye, and Edward are next door neighbors who have enrolled in different middle schools through the voucher program. Anthony has chosen a charter school three miles north (7:50-3:10); Taye has been accepted to a k-8 private school in an adjoining town about ten miles south (8:50-4:10); and Edward has chosen to attend the public middle school in the same town as Taye's private school (7:50-3:10). How does each get to and from school?
I don;t know if there is any one answer to your question, In our district since most of the private schools are within the district they just work a drop off into the schedule. The private schools coordinate with the public schools so there is no scheduling conflicts. There is also one or two buses that go to the vo-tech and the Catholic HS which are both about 30 minutes away. I believe that is coordinated within multiple districts, most certainly for the vo-tech students because multiple districts run it.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's another thread about a NYC Public School principal that didn't show up for work for 9 years.
The kids have no books and watch movies.
And in spite of not showing up she got overtime pay.

How's that for accountability ?
You did forget to add she drove a BMW and dressed in fine clothes and fur coats......were's PETA?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don;t know if there is any one answer to your question, In our district since most of the private schools are within the district they just work a drop off into the schedule. The private schools coordinate with the public schools so there is no scheduling conflicts. There is also one or two buses that go to the vo-tech and the Catholic HS which are both about 30 minutes away. I believe that is coordinated within multiple districts, most certainly for the vo-tech students because multiple districts run it.
Thank you. I appreciate your outline of the system your district has implemented. Anybody else?

The district south of me has a small, trial voucher program in place, but there are legal issues, so it's long-term success is up in the air. Only a few private schools are enrolled, so space is extremely limited. Some of the schools are religious in nature, which further restricts their viability as alternatives to the public schools. As for transportation, the district no longer provides free busing. Public school students pay $.50 per ride or, as is usually the case, parents drive them to and from school each day. Voucher students are on their own.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-19-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies