Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
PARENTS, not you, should be able to choose the education their children receive.
It's their tax dollars too you know.
As long as schools are meeting basic requirements, sure. Not only should taxpayers not be expected to fork over cash for religious indoctrination, such "schools" shouldn't even be allowed to exist as schools.

Depriving children of basic education is tantamount to child abuse and should be treated as such, not encouraged and subsidized by taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is the difference...a failed private school gets shut down. A failed public school is rewarded for their incompetence with more grants and funding.
"Gets" shut down? By whom? In my state, the state has nothing to do with private schools. There are sanctions for failing public schools. However, NCLB is not a great system, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know about where you live but the Catholic schools in my area provide an excellent education. There was a small school not far from me what was graduating 100% of their students and 90% of them were going onto graduate from a school of higher learning and many of those kids were going to some of the best Universities in the country.

They had to close it because of a lack of enrollment and that's a shame.
If it was such a great school, it's hard to understand why it closed. Anyone can get great stats when they cherry-pick their students. That said, my kids' public high school had about a 90% higher ed/military service (this was during Iraq as well as Afghanistan) matriculation rate. I question the 90% college grad rate. Most colleges only graduate about 50% of incoming freshmen.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As long as schools are meeting basic requirements, sure. Not only should taxpayers not be expected to fork over cash for religious indoctrination, such "schools" shouldn't even be allowed to exist as schools.

Depriving children of basic education is tantamount to child abuse and should be treated as such, not encouraged and subsidized by taxpayers.
Without vouchers the poor have no alternative but public schools.
You saw the thread of the NYC principal who either didn't show up or came to school when she felt like it for 9 years. The kids have no books and spend the days watching movies.

And this is the public school system. Do you think she will be held responsible ?
In NYC with their unions do you think she will be charged with 9 years of negligence ?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
yes they are a small thief. but k12 is a big big thief.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM

58,937 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The private school operator took over 2 million of tax payer money and then left the students high and dry.

No accountability.

Shuttered private school cost taxpayers millions - TODAY'S TMJ4
I think you re chasing the wrong cat.

The voucher system allows student to go to another school IF the school they are NOT doing its job. Right?

Was this kid able to go to a better school? Yes, so the system worked.

It isn't the Voucher System the ISN'T working, it is the politicians who ARE responsible to oversee the program.

Do you ever read any of Sen Tom Coburn's books and articles?

Do you have ANY idea how much money the gov't wastes and does NOT "account" for?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-18-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If it was such a great school, it's hard to understand why it closed. Anyone can get great stats when they cherry-pick their students. That said, my kids' public high school had about a 90% higher ed/military service (this was during Iraq as well as Afghanistan) matriculation rate.
Not enough students to support it, Catholic schools aren't exactly expensive but if you're shelling out $4 or $5k per child that's a lot of money. If the parents and the school had the benefit of vouchers perhaps it would have been a different story.

Quote:
I question the 90% college grad rate. Most colleges only graduate about 50% of incoming freshmen.
This was exceptional school with exceptional parents, certainly not an average catholic school.. The last graduating class was only about 7 students.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,011,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Vouchers are just another form of welfare, better to give tax credits for those who want their children out of the government run education propoganda centers.

Not really. It's about choices where to send your kid. If the school sucks, and you care, send your kid to another.

No it isn't. Tax credits aren't a $1-$1 return. It's not necessarily pennies on the dollar, but closer to that than $1-$1. 75% of my property taxes go the school district, and I probably won't have a kid for another 8 years. He'll use the system k-12 and then back to not having a kid in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Without vouchers the poor have no alternative but public schools.
It's not just the poor. I consider property taxes to be a highly unfair system, especially in my area, where around 75% goes to the public school system.

- Average teaching to non-teaching personal 60 years ago: 237 - 100.
- My state in 2010: 100 - 111.6. Woe to Virginia at 100 - 183.4 in 2010.
- I left the public school system in 2007. Despite falling numbers of students, they've hired more administrators.
- One would think with the invention of the computer, this would go the opposite direction.
- Spending per pupil in constant dollars: 1949-1950: $1,708. 2008-2009: $11,339
- For those that don't know; constant dollars means the value of the dollar in both periods is fixed (inflation and all that figured in).
- Despite a 564% increase in public school spending per pupil, we've had flat - declining test scores during this time.

I'm by no means against public schooling. I think we owe it to every child to give them access to education.

However, our system is not about education. I literally slept through high school. Didn't do a lot of my homework. Still graduated in three years. Didn't attend school half of 7th, didn't go to school at all 8th and 9th, and I swear they were teaching the same things when I returned for 10th as when I left in 7th. It's taxpayer funded day care, which "teaches" to meet standardized tests, not to actually teach. A school administrator even threatened not to let me graduate if I didn't come to the school to take the SATs on their specific day (I had already taken them and been accepted to a couple colleges) because they couldn't have more than 5% of their students not there or they'd not get funding from somewhere (I drew patterns on the answer sheet and the essay was in regards to being forced to take the SATS for the second time in two months).

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 01-18-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think you re chasing the wrong cat.

The voucher system allows student to go to another school IF the school they are NOT doing its job. Right?

was this kid able to go to a better school? Right.

It isn't the Voucher System the ISN'T working, it is the politicians who ARE responsible to oversee the program.

Do you ever read any of Sen Tom Coburn's books and articles?

Do you have ANY idea how much money the gov't wastes and does NOT "account" for?
The main problem I have with vouchers is this.

I moved into the best school district. I bought a home in the best school district. I don't want the saggy pants, the 14 year old pregnant girls, and the no parents children coming to my children's schools and screwing it up.

It's not the schools that's the problem. It's lack of parental involvement. Vouchers won't fix that, and in fact may make it worse for parents who do raise their children the right way.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not enough students to support it, Catholic schools aren't exactly expensive but if you're shelling out $4 or $5k per child that's a lot of money. If the parents and the school had the benefit of vouchers perhaps it would have been a different story.

This was exceptional school with exceptional parents, certainly not an average catholic school.. The last graduating class was only about 7 students.
Seven students is not enough for the stats to be meaningful.

"Of all sad words. . . "

Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,405,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The private school operator took over 2 million of tax payer money and then left the students high and dry.

No accountability.

Shuttered private school cost taxpayers millions - TODAY'S TMJ4
Food stamps should be eliminated because there is fraud in the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies