Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

I'm filling out nothing. They can fine me or come by and I won't answer the door. None of their damn business who lives in our house or what race we are. Too much of our lives are given away freely as it is.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
No, not .............p.a .r.a.n.o.i.a.

I just didn't like filling out the 36 pages on the " special" ag census that I always got " randomly" chosen for the extended census form.

Most of those questions required me digging out my 22 page income tax in order to answer their nosey questions.

I had better things to do on a farm and when I wasn't getting enough sleep I sure am not going to give up MY time to fill out redundant paperwork.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
No farm bill for dairy farmers, then! (No recent data for Congress to refer to when making a decision.)

I think we forget sometimes that we are ALL a part of government, and we all have to do our part to make it function well. It's when we say "I ain't participatin' in that" that our government fails to work as it should.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
When I was a graduate student in the mid 1990s I worked for the Census Bureau's housing survey. It was very fun!

Here's how it goes: The Census Bureau compiles data on a variety of things. The decennial population survey IS mandated in Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution. It's purpose is to determine how many congressmen serve from each state (which is based on population, as you all should know).

The Bureau also compiles other data, referring to Article 1 Section 2's mandate: the census is taken to determine how "direct Taxes shall be apportioned" (U.S. Constitution). The information, then, is for Congress and relates to economic conditions. The surveys are sent out periodically using the RANDOM SAMPLING method.
Exactly.

The whole point is to keep track of how to distribute the tax money and services. Maybe with enough population, you could get a new bus line, or a new hospital. (Things like schools, I would think keep track of the enrollment themselves). And depending on how you answer the questions, it could influence other services provided (for instance, the low-income population, senior population, etc all need certain services). And for instance, if it shows that the average household in a neighborhood is making $2,000 a month, and paying $1,000 in rent, that could indicate other problems that need to be corrected.

Plus, certain businesses can also use the information to decide what areas to expand into, so if your neighborhood needs another supermarket, it might meet certain demographics that a certain chain might be looking for in neighborhoods it serves, and so it'll be easier to get the supermarket if they have more information about the neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
What??? Here is the 2013 ACS questionnaire in full. Tell me where you think you are at risk. Like I said...p-a-r-a-n-o-i-a. Pure and simple.

tell me where the ACS has the authority according to the Constitution to ask anything in that survey at all?

since you like to call people who do not like to give out their personal information, then maybe you would like being called S-H-E-E-P. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

don't forget to lick the back of your masters hand.

just to answer your question, there is plenty on the ACS that I shall never answer, as I did not answer when I sent the form back unfilled last year.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
tell me where the ACS has the authority according to the Constitution to ask anything in that survey at all?

since you like to call people who do not like to give out their personal information, then maybe you would like being called S-H-E-E-P. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

don't forget to lick the back of your masters hand.

just to answer your question, there is plenty on the ACS that I shall never answer, as I did not answer when I sent the form back unfilled last year.
Here. The clause many people forget.

Necessary and Proper Clause legal definition of Necessary and Proper Clause. Necessary and Proper Clause synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
I got one a few years ago and it was too long to fill out... I didn't have the time or attention span to complete it. Nothing ever came of it.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,697 times
Tell them to contact the NSA...

Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I received a survey questionnaire from the American Community Survey of the Census Bureau. On the envelope it was written in bold that my response was required by law. Has anyone else received such an envelope from the Census Bureau? Giving out personal information in these times of government snooping and people snooping into each others affairs etc. kind of makes me hesitant to fill out the questionnaire. What would you do?
A response and actually answering the questions are two different things.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
So many tin-foil hats and propeller-beanies. The official gear of sociophobes. And perhaps a few who have simply never read 13 USC 141 and 13 USC 193.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies