Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
One bit of misinformation that keeps circulating is that innocent Americans have not been harmed by the NSA's domestic spying programs but that's not true. Many antiwar and banking reform activists have had their efforts cut short through surveillance, National Security Letters (NSL'S) and ultimately various forms of intimidation. Hopefully Glenn Greenwald's, and to a lesser extent Bart Gellman's, next wave of articles will expose these affronts to liberty so that Congress can continue what President Obama just started with respect to finally reining in the "Police State".
The NSA pays GCHQ to spy on American Citizens thereby not breaking any laws or the US Constitution. The NSA also spies from bases abroad such as Menwith Hill and taps internet cables under the Atlantic, the UK being a major connection point.

Americans pay GCHQ £100m to spy for them, leaked papers claim - Telegraph

GCHQ: The British Are Spying On Us More Than the NSA Is - PolicyMic

GCHQ taps fibre-optic cables for secret access to world's communications | UK news | The Guardian

How does GCHQ's internet surveillance work? | UK news | The Guardian

BBC News - US NSA and UK GCHQ 'can spy on smartphones'

Last edited by Bamford; 01-21-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The NSA pays GCHQ to spy on American Citizens thereby not breaking any laws or the US Constitution.

Americans pay GCHQ £100m to spy for them, leaked papers claim - Telegraph
This form of collusion is against the spirit of the Fourth Amendment and the Supreme Court will have to strike it down. The days of the NSA brazenly circumventing the Bill of Rights are drawing to an end which is why shills like Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Peter King and Rep. Mike Rogers are blatantly lying in Sunday morning news show interviews. This last Sunday Mike Rogers, through innuendo, tried to imply that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is a Russian spy. Not only is that preposterous but the FBI itself dismisses that reckless claim as unsubstantiated. Mike Rogers is compromised and if he has any integrity left at all will voluntarily step down as the head of the House Intelligence Committee.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
This form of collusion is against the spirit of the Fourth Amendment and the Supreme Court will have to strike it down. The days of the NSA brazenly circumventing the Bill of Rights are drawing to and end which is why shills like Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Peter King and Rep. Mike Rogers are blatantly lying in Sunday morning news show interviews. This last Sunday Mike Rogers, through innuendo, tried to imply that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is a Russian spy. Not only is that preposterous but the FBI itself dismisses that reckless claim as unsubstantiated. Mike Rogers is compromised and if he has any integrity left at all will voluntarily step down as the head of the House Intelligence Committee.
I don't remember the UK being party to the Bill of Rights and the Americans are just giving us that £100 million in order that we upgrade our facilities in relation to world wide intelligence gathering, including spying on US Citizens - LOL.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
This form of collusion is against the spirit of the Fourth Amendment and the Supreme Court will have to strike it down. The days of the NSA brazenly circumventing the Bill of Rights are drawing to an end which is why shills like Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Peter King and Rep. Mike Rogers are blatantly lying in Sunday morning news show interviews. This last Sunday Mike Rogers, through innuendo, tried to imply that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is a Russian spy. Not only is that preposterous but the FBI itself dismisses that reckless claim as unsubstantiated. Mike Rogers is compromised and if he has any integrity left at all will voluntarily step down as the head of the House Intelligence Committee.

I agree that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, sadly I don't see the Supreme Court doing anything about it.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, sadly I don't see the Supreme Court doing anything about it.
They'll have no choice which is why the Court is trying desperately not to hear related cases.

Bamford: Using foreign contractors doesn't absolve the U.S. government from adhering to the Constitution. If Brits don't mind GCHQ spying on them then that's their business but our Constitution was created to protect citizens from abuse.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
They'll have no choice which is why the Court is trying desperately not to hear related cases.

Bamford: Using foreign contractors doesn't absolve the U.S. government from adhering to the Constitution. If Brits don't mind GCHQ spying on them then that's their business but our Constitution was created to protect citizens from abuse.
Do you honestly think the NSA give us £100 million out of kindness.

GCHQ does not adhere to the US Constitution and can tap internet lines and phone lines via undersea cables, via satellite communications and using a host of other techniques and indeed hacking.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Do you honestly think the NSA give us £100 million out of kindness.

GCHQ does not adhere to the US Constitution and can tap internet lines and phone lines via undersea cables, via satellite communications and using a host of other techniques.
You don't seem to be understanding the point. Of course GCHQ can spy on Americans but our government can not legally accept information obtained by the GCHQ, or any of the Five Eyes partners for that matter, without a warrant stating probable cause.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Personally, I could not care less. If I decide to amuse myself with subversion or rebellion, I would not be dumb enough to use electronic communications of any kind. I would run the operation in face to face and the techniques out of a LeCarre novel.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Personally, I could not care less. If I decide to amuse myself with subversion or rebellion, I would not be dumb enough to use electronic communications of any kind. I would run the operation in face to face and the techniques out of a LeCarre novel.
Before you gained any traction, in the current environment, the FBI would infiltrate your group and install either an informant or agent provocateur. You and/or your lawyer would never be able to find out who that person is because the information would be locked away under a National Security Letter (NSL).

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to be understanding the point. Of course GCHQ can spy on Americans but our government can not legally accept information obtained by the GCHQ, or any of the Five Eyes partners for that matter, without a warrant stating probable cause.
It can accept information given by the Security Service MI6 or Foreign Office from an unknown source though.

In terms of the UK we are a a global fibre optic, internet and communication hub due to our geographic position off Europe.

Cable landing point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Submarine Cable Map

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies