Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The schedule is an act of Congress and can be changed by Congress.
Controlled Substances Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CSA defined what the schedules were and the initial lists of drugs on them. The DEA has the power to reschedule drugs and add/remove new drugs from the various schedules.

Edit: noticed you edited your post. I guess you realized the mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
I don't smoke weed so I'm all for banning it. It's bad for people & we need to help those people get their acts together. Obama/Holder overturning those state laws legalizing Medical Marijuana out West, sending in Federal Agents to raid them, confiscate their property & freeze their bank accounts was fantastic progress.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Incorrect. The CSA defined what the schedules were and the initial lists of drugs on them. The DEA has the power to reschedule drugs and add/remove new drugs from the various schedules.
Congress can also alter the list.

" Two federal agencies, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Food and Drug Administration, determine which substances are added to or removed from the various schedules, though the statute passed by Congress created the initial listing, and Congress has sometimes scheduled other substances through legislation such as the Hillory J. Farias and Samantha Reid Date-Rape Prevention Act of 2000, which placed gamma hydroxybutyrate in Schedule I."

Old 01-19-2014, 02:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
His words on this will have great impact - little doubt about that (and "FINALLY" is all I can say!).

I've believed for, like, 40+ years that drugs should be legalized and controlled just like alcohol. Change DUI laws to reflect whatever they need to reflect. Treat the "drug problem" as the SOCIAL problem it is rather than a CRIMINAL problem.

And for MORE than 40 years I've been saying to others as well as myself "Prohibition does NOT work".
His words were about a slippery slope. He's not saying it should be legal. In fact the article specifically says he doesn't favor changing its status under federal law.

Some of you just lap up what you want to hear and pretend, because you love Obama so much, he said things he didn't. Sad.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
His words were about a slippery slope. He's not saying it should be legal. In fact the article specifically says he doesn't favor changing its status under federal law.
Yes and that's only underscoring the hypocrisy more, and he should be called out on it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Some of you just lap up what you want to hear and pretend, because you love Obama so much, he said things he didn't. Sad.
You misunderstood my post.

A President has FINALLY come out and said "Marijuana? Meh."

=I= believe all drugs should be legalized and made the social problem they are.

Got it?

[clue - for sure refer to the Subject...]

Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Obama is a sociologist and a scientist now?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yes, but a structural precondition of the argument he is making is that you are sliding down the slope from something less dangerous (marijuana) to something more dangerous (cocaine or meth). The DEA's current policy says they view it the opposite way, that cocaine and meth have more legitimate uses than marijuana.
Cocaine is useful for certain surgeries like that of the eye and the mouth. Meth, believe it or not, is acceptable in the management of ADD/ADHD. Yup, middle schoolers can be prescribed meth but Americans can't toke up to relieve the symptoms of chemo! That's our crazy government for ya!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I don't smoke weed so I'm all for banning it. It's bad for people & we need to help those people get their acts together. Obama/Holder overturning those state laws legalizing Medical Marijuana out West, sending in Federal Agents to raid them, confiscate their property & freeze their bank accounts was fantastic progress.
Do you also want cigarettes banned since they cause cancer? Or, no, you don't because you smoke that?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Default Our dear leader....

He's just the best right? I mean RIGHT? A chicken in every pot, a phone for every pocket and now a joint for every person! YIPPPEEEE!!! That'll make this country hum and bring us out of the funk we're currently in (or make us forget it and not care about anything but Frito's!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies