Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM

416 posts, read 534,823 times

Advertisements

This is pure ignorance. 80% of people on AFDC are on it for less than 5 years.

Don't believe the right-wing, anti-poor media hype. And PLEASE don't perpetuate it.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Average Time on AFCD (Aid to Families with Dependent Children)
Less than 7 months 19%
7 to 12 months 15.2%
1 to 2 years 19.3%
2 to 5 years 26.9%
Over 5 years 19.6% This is only one small part of the welfare cycle. How many live for life on food stamps, free medical,earned income cash payments for each child, etc? The Gov encourages women to have a kid and keep having them so they get free cash and benefits. In this state you can get free medical as long as you have a dependant child living with you. It wasn`t that long ago they cut everyone off unless you had the minor in your household. The Feds are funding the benefits again but older people have had a much harder time getting qualified. When the Feds cut off the funds the state will not pick up the costs. I wish you would stop calling me names. It`s time for you and others to stop dividing us. We need to put aside the ones would want to keep us at odds with each other and come together as one country again. I`m no right or left wing person. I think if you can do it you yourself you need to stand on your own feet and if you can`t then look to your friends, church or neighbors for help. The country is being dragged down by the debt created by apathy and laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
[quote=rcarbuilder;33099107]
Quote:
There are plenty of men right now raising the children fathered by other men as are women rainsing the kids from other mothers.
Yes there are. Generally not productive employed men raising children of welfare mothers and definitely not two sets of children.

Quote:
The single mother would have another adult in the household to provide
emotional, financial support to each other. How about the idea of a free
babysitter when you need one, not one from 6am to 6pm that taxes pay for?
Again you are assuming there is a supply of employed single adults eager to take on the responsibility of two ready made families as well as a supply of people ok with a polygamous relationship. Many single mothers have family for emotional support and babysitting services. I see subsidized child care as positive to help single mothers be able to work and go to school.

Quote:
Very few welfare recipients ever got off it. The incentive is to stay on the
benefits. Once you are dependent on the Gov then they have you as voters. It`s
where they want you.
Those that don't, don't want to. These are they type that have no ambition to become better educated, learn a skill or become part of the work force. Joining families isn't going to change their mind set.

Quote:

I`m not sure where in this country the 3 unrelated people could be livng
without breaking the law.

Adultry is a felony as is a man and 2 women or a woman and 2 men.
In the USA consenting adults can live with whomever they want. What country do you live in that adultery is a felony?

Quote:
In my opinion if are not willing to get off the Gov support you will never
improve your situation and your kids will follow in your footsteps. That`s not a
100% but in most cases. Plural marraiges were common in this country up until
the Gov decided it was wrong. It was very common in Native American tribes
before the invasion by the white aliens. Check this site for some history:Polygamy ~ Updated Edition ~* Blaine Robison, M.A.
200+ years ago we did not have the single parent and welfare situations we have today. You are talking apples and oranges. Modern day polygamy hasn't faired well for the women and children who most often are getting government support.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
In theory not a bad idea but wouldn't happen. The women having babies on welfare for welfare are doing so to get benefits. Since it is harder to get benefits while married I doubt this would help at all.

And yes we need to start shaming the loser men who refuse to support their kids. We all attack welfare moms (and I admit I do so)but not everyone attacks baby daddy and he's the one who refuses to support his spawn.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
I didn`t bring up the "dignity" point. Just gave my opinion in response. Why does it affect their diginity to share a committed husband
Would it affect your dignity to share a committed wife with a couple of other husbands? It's not a problem in some Himalayan cultures, where two or three brothers do just that.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM

I looked it up for you. USmessageboard.com Adultery is illegal in the following states:

North Carolina

Rhode Island

Kansas

Massachusetts

Colorado

Florida

South Carolina

Tennessee

Virginia

Utah

Missouri

Mississippi

Georgia

Indiana

Maryland

Arizona

Michigan

Illinois

The info is also available at the NY Times 11-14-2012, USA Today 4-25-2010 and the Boston Globe 11-15-12.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Would it affect your dignity to share a committed wife with a couple of other husbands? It's not a problem in some Himalayan cultures, where two or three brothers do just that. Whatever choice my wife and I made would not do anything to raise your taxes. What I put out there was people should have the right to do what they want as long as children are protected and no one is getting hurt. Obviously we need to have laws but stay out of our bedrooms and our personal choices.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Monetarily speaking, multiple spouse homes are in just as good of a financial situation as a multifamily home.

But how many women do you know that are willing to share their man? And how many men do you know who are willing to share their wives?

Devil it seems, is in the details.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Considering the rate of infidelity it seems like many have no problem sharing.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
Considering the rate of infidelity it seems like many have no problem sharing.
Considering the rate of divorce......

Old 01-20-2014, 01:55 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Men are already sitting around watching TV while their wife works.

With 'plural marriage', they can sit around watching TV while their wives work.

Since no benefits accrue to the wives, I doubt they'd go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies