Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 AM

577 posts, read 435,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm sorry you need customer service to purchase a loaf of bread, and I've managed to do it all by myself.

Dont be jelous.

i wasn't referring to me. And indeed, that's one quick item.

I've never seen ANYONE with more than 1 or 2 items in their hands EVER use an automated check out.

I have seen, however, older generations of individuals that have tried topurchase a loaf of bread adn be completely lost.

Actually, all it takes is accidentally placing your purse down on the side where you put the item after you've checked it out for the computer to require intervention from a human employee... and indeed, in trying to rush I've done that.. placed my purse on the scale and had to have the machine reset by the employee...

It happens..

Of course.. there are times i"ve breezed right through no issues.. but there has ALWAYS been one or two people around me that have needed assistance.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The Home Depot I most frequent has 2/3 self, 1/3 staffed checkouts. Likely 12 to 6 ratio. Usually only 3 of the staffed ones are open.

The Safeway I patronize has about 1/2 self checkouts, 3 or 4 staffed limited item lines and 3 or 4 large order lines.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Who said they have 100% checkout lines?
you said 40 to 50 cashiers... 229 stores = tens of thousands. That's impossible.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post

i wasn't referring to me. And indeed, that's one quick item.

I've never seen ANYONE with more than 1 or 2 items in their hands EVER use an automated check out.
I stopped here laughing my ass off that I cant even continue to respond..

I've used them with 2 shopping carts full of food.. My kids love scanning the items..

I'm sorry, I just cant take you seriously any longer...

Still waiting for you to tell me how increasing labor costs increase manufacturing jobs..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
that is very true. that is bek like the dinasaur the american public has been slow to realize that they are being channeled into exclusively none skilled jobs and enormous debt. they must stop this now and learn trades and never pursue careers in non skilled labor. the fake white collar trade schools falsely labeled universities--- must stop being the latest paris gown which every one is dying to purchase. freedom the great american value dont ever lose it. debt slave no more.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I've used them with 2 shopping carts full of food.. My kids love scanning the items..

Still waiting for you to tell me how increasing labor costs increase manufacturing jobs..
Now I KNOW you're full of it..

First off.. EVERY item you check out MUST Remain on the "pad" until the order is complete. Two carts full of food doesn't fit on the pad. So , even if you were scanning your own , two carts worht of food, there was a human employee that was watching you and clearing hte mahcine of any error that wouldn't let you proceed..

Many times I have tried to go through check out with more items than would fit on the bags on the pad.. and each time I had that issue.

And just becuase YOU do it, doesn't mean that it is still a regular occurance. I'm sure you do it to amuse your children.. but most do not go through a quick self check out for that many items for exactly the reason I stated. It's actually more of a pain in the butt with a large order than an "ease".. and it was designed for quick and easy "fast" check out for those with a few items in hand.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Home Depot I most frequent has 2/3 self, 1/3 staffed checkouts. Likely 12 to 6 ratio. Usually only 3 of the staffed ones are open.

The Safeway I patronize has about 1/2 self checkouts, 3 or 4 staffed limited item lines and 3 or 4 large order lines.
My grocery store and hardware stores are the complete opposite than the ones you go to. Guess where you live people prefer being their own cashiers.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you said 40 to 50 cashiers... 229 stores = tens of thousands. That's impossible.
Must not be very good at math..
24 hours in a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours per register..

thats 5.6 employees per line, * 5 lines = 28 employees per store * 229 stores = 6412 employees.. (and thats only 5 lines, the store has about 20 per store, but clearly not all of them open 24/7)

I never asked the actual number from them, I just overheard the order for the cash registeres..

To pretend higher labor costs dont increase the need to outsource is one of the dumbest thigns I've heard in my life.

Again, have you EVER owned a business?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
So tell me.... how do you propose to magically make everyone's labor WORTH $10 an hour or more?

??? e-verify? secure the borders?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:

and.. I never said increasing labor costs increase manufacturing jobs..

What WILL increase American manufacturing jobs is lowering the cost per employee of said jobs when we have a Universal health care system. Other industrialized nations don't have the added labor costs of 10's of thousands per employee for health care premiums.

What WILL bring back manufactring jobs is to offer MANUFACTURERS that BRING jobs back to the U.S tax breaks.. THOSE are the breaks that are deserved..NOT the one s we hand out now to corporations...

What I did say is that the lack of manufacturing jobs has left only two kinds of jobs available. .. minimum wage jobs and jobs that require a college degree (as opposed to a trade). Degrees are ridiculously expensive, and with many pursuing that avenue there are too few jobs for the qualified people who spent 10's of thousands to get a degree...

ONLY to end up taking THE ONLY JOBS LEFT in this country.. minimum wage jobs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies