Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So is Hollywood Video.

Lack of profits is what drove them out of business.

But I guess everyone else is sitting on a heap of money so they can well afford increased labor costs right ?
Are you also aware that besides increased wages Congress has also asked the President to include some benefits as well ? They want min wage workers to get paid time off.

This is their 2014 strategy to overcome Obamacare.
It will make the Republicans look bad and hopefully be their saving grace come election time.

Yes, the 62% of min wage workers that are in school and living at home where the household income is $65K are the top priority of the Dems here.
Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, and Tower Records are out of business because technology changed not because minimum wage went up.

62% of minimum wage workers are in school and living at home? Interesting specific percentage, I assume you have a link that shows that number? Also, how many people are making less than $2/hr over minimum wage? It would be great to see the link where your specific numbers come from, I would love to read over them.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
"We're going to be looking at making some serious cuts," said Cedarbrook Lodge General Manager Scott Ostrander. "We're going to be looking at reducing employee hours, reducing benefits and eliminating some positions."

That's in the short term. Eventually, those jobs and more are expected to return as the Cedarbrook Lodge looks to build an addition to the hotel. The plan is to increase revenue to offset the higher labor costs.

This "serious cuts" is going to effect 1600 workers in one city. $15 is a very high jump from $9.60...and this isn't a federal law. It's specific to one city in Washington.

The federal increase is more in the .50 to .75 cent range...
So what wouldn't cause job loss???!!!

Some business can absorb this increase and still survive but others can't!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain what is wrong with adult people willingly making $2 a day?

Plenty of people work for free. Any thing wrong with that?

Hell, I work for free a lot!
If you have to ask that question, then you don't know much about our country's history before minimum wage laws went into effect. And I have no interest in trying to teach you about this history lesson within a forum site knowing full well you have no interest in learning.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:

If you employ nothing but minimum wage workers and can't absorb the cost of labor going up, then there is something wrong with that business model that clearly was on life support before the cost of labor went up.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you have to ask that question, then you don't know much about our country's history before minimum wage laws went into effect. And I have no interest in trying to teach you about this history lesson within a forum site knowing full well you have no interest in learning.
You have no clue what you are talking about. You don't know math, economics, how to run a business or just basic real life information. I am serious about this.

I came from a third world country where people actually work for $2/day! You know nothing about that but just came up with it as a smart*ss comment. You have no idea what kind of life that is while I do!

In this country, because of the supply and demand, the labor market will not allow a $2/day wage. The employers won't offer it and nobody will take it - people would rather take in welfare than work for $2/day. This is not a poor country where people's choice is between eating off garbage dump or working at $2/day.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They've been linked and sourced about three times already in this thread.
No...they linked to one story on Fox that talks about a city raising wages to $15 for hotel workers in Washington.

That isn't a federal increase... it's an extremely aggressive wage hike in a small city that effects 1,600 workers.

Here is a link to the federal minimum wage increase hikes since 1938: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

and here is a link to a study done by U of Vermont that shows states minimum wage and their unemployment numbers.

The Effects of Increases in the Minimum Wage

It should be easy for anyone to point out the actual wage increases on record and the unemployment numbers increasing if it is a fact.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you employ nothing but minimum wage workers and can't absorb the cost of labor going up, then there is something wrong with that business model that clearly was on life support before the cost of labor went up.
Again and again you bring up this ill-conceived idea that certain business model is wrong. Maybe for you it is wrong because you have no idea on how to run ANY business but plenty of people are very successfully running their businesses based on such model.

Again, you have no clue how to run a business, no idea on how to do a basic calculation on the cost of running a business. Aren't you the one telling me that I could make a bread at home for $0.50/loaf? You have yet to show me how I could possible do that at home unless I steal other people's money just like what you are proposing to do.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Better that everyone be out of work eh ?
That's right..you show them employers who's boss here.

I think the Hostess bakers took that stand. Where are they today ?
The demise of Hostess was simple mismanagement by management who piled on debt and kept increasing their own salaries.

Plenty of other businesses that operates with Union workers have stayed afloat.

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/12...t-unions-fault

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:

we have no idea until it actually takes effect. Of course I would expect a biz to say they can't handle a wage increase.. it's their job to try and keep wages low but the data always shows the layoffs never occur when the wage increase takes place.

Once again... this Fox News story is about a small city with a huge increase in the minimum wage.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
we have no idea until it actually takes effect. Of course I would expect a biz to say they can't handle a wage increase.. it's their job to try and keep wages low but the data always shows the layoffs never occur when the wage increase takes place.

Once again... this Fox News story is about a small city with a huge increase in the minimum wage.
Please provide "the data always shows the layoffs never occur when the wage increase takes place."

You have no idea but I do and a lot people here do. It's a simple math. You can't legislate away math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies