Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,519,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

You mean the people who have seen their incomes explode while everyone else has been fighting over food scraps?
Firstly, there's no correlation between the top and the low percentile wage. To say since the people at the top make more money, I deserve more is like saying the good students get good scores, so I deserve better score too. Should we pass a law to mandate minimum scores for bad students who can't pass tests?

Secondly, the wage is driven by the value produced by a position. How much value does a burger flipper can produce? Is that the same value as a CEO of a billion dollar company? Now, if the burger flipper can produce enough value like if he can manage to flip twice as many burgers than other flippers within the same work hour, he well deserves his salary to be doubled. This is also true for a CEO who doubles the profit for her company.

The reality is the burger flippers are still flipping the same amount burgers while CEOs are managing bigger and more complicated companies.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Did gas prices get silly due to the MW increase?

IMO you will more than likely have to raise prices but I'm sure you know when the right time will be...
The minimum wage increase certainly is a factor. Look, we can't even agree that arbitrarily raising the minimum wage would cause the cost of goods to go up, we'd better stop talking here because it's like saying 1+1=1.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,596,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Firstly, there's no correlation between the top and the low percentile wage. To say since the people at the top make more money, I deserve more is like saying the good students get good scores, so I deserve better score too. Should we pass a law to mandate minimum scores for bad students who can't pass tests?

Secondly, the wage is driven by the value produced by a position. How much value does a burger flipper can produce? Is that the same value as a CEO of a billion dollar company? Now, if the burger flipper can produce enough value like if he can manage to flip twice as many burgers than other flippers within the same work hour, he well deserves his salary to be doubled. This is also true for a CEO who doubles the profit for her company.

The reality is the burger flippers are still flipping the same amount burgers while CEOs are managing bigger and more complicated companies.
What if the CEO doubles the profits by shipping jobs overseas and eliminating raises? LOL....

Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The minimum wage increase certainly is a factor. Look, we can't even agree that arbitrarily raising the minimum wage would cause the cost of goods to go up, we'd better stop talking here because it's like saying 1+1=1.
a factor in gas prices? Hell no... no, no, no....

MW has no impact on gas prices. That is some bull and s###

When the market crashed and gas was low it wasn't due to MW being stagnant... I'm sorry but this is too far of a reach.

You are right... we better stop talking. LOL

Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,655,343 times
Quote:
Did gas prices get silly due to the MW increase?

IMO you will more than likely have to raise prices but I'm sure you know when the right time will be...
See thats the problem , you dont understand basic economics. I never said gas prices got silly due to MW , you can ask the oil gods about the gas prices.

My point is that its a chain reaction when you raise prices. Why does it have to be MW that is the problem? Why dont we actually look into it deeper and not use a band aid to fix the problem. Lets see how people are spending their money, how many hours they are working , how long they have been working , have they asked for a pay increase before or for a promotion. What kind of people are complaining. I mean we have people on welfare that were spending the ebt cards on booze, strip clubs, ciggs , and now weed in CO. All that is not a necessity.

They could of been using that money for education to get a better job. There are payment plans for school loans. If you want to make it in life you gotta earn it and work for it, well at least thats the way i was brought up and raised.

The min wage hike will have the same effect that the gas prices charge does. It wont be dramatic changes or charges but while min wage goes up so will everything else so in reality your back at round 1 again.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
What if the CEO doubles the profits by shipping jobs overseas and eliminating raises? LOL....
Eliminating raises for whom? CEOs are not obligated to conduct business in any one country. Their job is to maximize profit for the companies legally, and there's no such legal requirement. For large companies, CEOs are often from different countries. If they ship jobs overseas and make the companies profitable, they deserve a huge raise!

Apple is a prime example and so is Walmart.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 AM

23,660 posts, read 23,982,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would love to have a tour of your "business" and any other "business" you cons claim to be all owners of. Or as I like to say, unemployed people pretending to be in business for themselves.
What's with the "quotes" urban? Do you think that business owners are like unicorns, and that none of them actually exist? No? Then why is it so difficult to believe that some of the millions of small businesses owners out there might just actually post on this forum?

You're getting paranoid. Or maybe you always were, and it's finally manifesting in ways that others can see it. Whatever. My offer stands.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
See thats the problem , you dont understand basic economics. I never said gas prices got silly due to MW , you can ask the oil gods about the gas prices.

My point is that its a chain reaction when you raise prices. Why does it have to be MW that is the problem? Why dont we actually look into it deeper and not use a band aid to fix the problem. Lets see how people are spending their money, how many hours they are working , how long they have been working , have they asked for a pay increase before or for a promotion. What kind of people are complaining. I mean we have people on welfare that were spending the ebt cards on booze, strip clubs, ciggs , and now weed in CO. All that is not a necessity.

They could of been using that money for education to get a better job. There are payment plans for school loans. If you want to make it in life you gotta earn it and work for it, well at least thats the way i was brought up and raised.

The min wage hike will have the same effect that the gas prices charge does. It wont be dramatic changes or charges but while min wage goes up so will everything else so in reality your back at round 1 again.
Please don't tell me about what I do and don't know.

and yes, there won't be dramatic changes... and that's the how point. Most in here are saying it will kill jobs, hurt growth, etc...

There is no evidence to back that claim up.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
a factor in gas prices? Hell no... no, no, no....

MW has no impact on gas prices. That is some bull and s###

When the market crashed and gas was low it wasn't due to MW being stagnant... I'm sorry but this is too far of a reach.

You are right... we better stop talking. LOL
You need to learn how to calculate the cost of goods. At the very basic, the cost of goods before tax should include: labor, material, utility, and overhead.

labor + material + utility + overhead = Cost of Goods before tax.

Assuming there's no change in material, utility or overhead cost, a very bad assumption, increasing labor cost alone would increase the cost of goods.

Maybe you can argue my material, utility and overhead costs would go down due to the labor cost increase but I doubt even the hardcore left leaning economists would agree with you. Even they do, it's not the reality.

That's just basic math.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Eliminating raises for whom? CEOs are not obligated to conduct business in any one country. Their job is to maximize profit for the companies legally, and there's no such legal requirement. For large companies, CEOs are often from different countries. If they ship jobs overseas and make the companies profitable, they deserve a huge raise!

Apple is a prime example and so is Walmart.
It isn't sustainable... we have seen the middle class disappear and the wealth gap will continue to spread.

It's ugly now and it will only get worse. You can applaud CEO's all you like but over time we will see this country fall hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies