Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, was that list compiled by an exhaustive survey of Canadian citizens or a staunch conservative Republican visiting the Canadian side of Niagra Falls for the day?

I know many, many Canadians and they don't care in the least aboot any of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,686 times
This looks like a chain email my crazy uncle sends around.

Loosely based in facts, but mostly untrue? Check.
No sources listed whatsoever? Check.
Tries to position it from an outsider's POV? Check.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Some body asked what Canadians think of the Pledge ?

To me it looks and sounds like a throw back to the Third Reich, or an indoctrination process.

The term "group think " also comes to mind.

The rest of that list is a poor attempt to get a point over, and its NOT anything that a Canadian would write. I will also point out that the spelling of the word " check " is not how Canadians spell that word. Here in Canada it is "cheque " and we also spell many other words differently, as well. Labour, neighbour, harbour and so on.

Most Canadians never use the phrase " race relations " as it just isn't a part of our history, or day to day conversation. Gasoline here in Canada is more costly than in the USA, due to sales taxes, which help to support our universal health care programs.

Most Americans have little to no knowledge about current events in Canada, due to the small amount of media coverage that American TV and newspapers give them. On the other hand, Canadians get wall to wall US news, every day. Even in a very small town in Canada, the cable TV service will have 10 to 20 US stations available, and if the customer wants to pay for it, they can have the 999 channel universe. Our daily newspapers have reporters assigned to major cities in the USA, and so do our TV networks. NO US TV network has any reporters assigned in Canada. Neither do any US newspapers.

Could that explain few things ? I think so.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Some body asked what Canadians think of the Pledge ?

To me it looks and sounds like a throw back to the Third Reich, or an indoctrination process.

The term "group think " also comes to mind.

The rest of that list is a poor attempt to get a point over, and its NOT anything that a Canadian would write. I will also point out that the spelling of the word " check " is not how Canadians spell that word. Here in Canada it is "cheque " and we also spell many other words differently, as well. Labour, neighbour, harbour and so on.

Most Canadians never use the phrase " race relations " as it just isn't a part of our history, or day to day conversation. Gasoline here in Canada is more costly than in the USA, due to sales taxes, which help to support our universal health care programs.

Most Americans have little to no knowledge about current events in Canada, due to the small amount of media coverage that American TV and newspapers give them. On the other hand, Canadians get wall to wall US news, every day. Even in a very small town in Canada, the cable TV service will have 10 to 20 US stations available, and if the customer wants to pay for it, they can have the 999 channel universe. Our daily newspapers have reporters assigned to major cities in the USA, and so do our TV networks. NO US TV network has any reporters assigned in Canada. Neither do any US newspapers.

Could that explain few things ? I think so.

Jim B

Toronto.

"could that explain a few things " ?

Yes, that most people in the US couldn't care less about what happens in Canada.

-------IF..........they did, reporters would be covering events in Canada.

Canada is similar to Mexico in the amount of concern.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Agreed. Whenever I visit Canada, the principal barbs aimed at American society look like this:

* Why do Americans love their guns so much? Do Americans seriously believe that private citizens using rifles and pistols could forestall government tyranny?

* Why do so many things in America vary from one state to another?

* Why are so many Americans philosophically opposed to a single-payer health care system?

* Why are Americans so religious?

* Why does America not have a merit-based legal immigration system, where for instance persons with STEM degrees and demonstrated command of English can obtain a long-term work visa?

* Why haven't most Americans (except for maybe those in Minnesota) figured out how to drive in the snow?

* Why has America not seriously considered a national sales tax (value-added tax)?
1.) Constitutionally protected Right, granted by God. Our Founders understood governments and how they trend to seizing more and more power. Chairman Mao said power comes from the barrel of a gun. He murdered tens of millions of his countrymen.

2.) The states are independent laboratories. They have some autonomy. Why shouldn't they? Central governments are disconnected and tend to become tyrannical over time.

3.) Because we've seen the health care disasters that are Formerly Great Britain and Canada. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

4.) God-believers understand there is a Greater Power than a mere human, no matter how narcissistic that human might be.

5.) Bribery, corruption, and stupidity.

6.) Can't comment because I haven't seen how Canadians drive in the snow. I DO know that residents of one state will often disparage the driving ability of those in a neighboring state. Maybe this is more of the same?

7.) Because there is NO revenue problem, there is a spending problem. Giving a heroin addict more heroin will not improve his life.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM

297 posts, read 476,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
dumbest list I've ever read. A Canadian wouldn't come up with that. They view America entirely differently than what's presented in this list. This list reads like some right-wing American made it up.
LOL. That sounds about right.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I can cash checks and buy alcohol, without any ID.
Ok, well this is not an attack at "you" personally, but if a person doesn't have to show I.D., it's because they are Old. Or look "old enough".
Or... you are getting alcohol in an upscale Supermarket (where kids usually don't try to buy alcohol)

Quote:
They don't have "checks" in Canada. They have "cheques".
You just like to argue.

Quote:
Oh look, the Canadians agree with us that you liberal democrats are all stupid.
I'm not a "liberal Democrat". I'm a LIBERTARIAN.

But in general, I don't care about all that; I just want 'down' with "Imperialism" or "Imperialists" and the "elite" and the Federal Reserve Bank.
(but in a peaceful way)

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
LOL at this post. As if Canada's a nation of ultraconservatives that makes the US look like Sweden by comparison...

Hey, you may be right about that, but at least they have FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL.

Something that THIS country needs.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
"could that explain a few things " ?

Yes, that most people in the US couldn't care less about what happens in Canada.

-------IF..........they did, reporters would be covering events in Canada.

Canada is similar to Mexico in the amount of concern.

The reason they don't report on Canada is because CANADA HAS UNIVERSAL, FREE, HEALTHCARE.

And over here, we are getting left to DIE.
Over here, the Insurance companies won't help you if your costs are "too high".

The U.S. doesn't want anyone knowing about that. Even though it is OBVIOUS.

We are NOT in the "Greatest Country in the World". We are in another,more recent version of
THE ROMAN EMPIRE, or NAZI GERMANY.

People don't want to hear it. But truth is truth.

Take a look at All our Capitals and monuments... Roman.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I can cash checks and buy alcohol, without any ID.

And on the subject of checks, just to prove that this list is phony. They don't have "checks" in Canada. They have "cheques".

A better debate would be, why does the American right wing spend so much time and effort coming up with this type of phony propaganda to try and rationalize their failed ideology.

Oh look, the Canadians agree with us that you liberal democrats are all stupid.
Here in Indiana they did make a law 3 or 4 years ago that EVERYONE no matter their age how to show ID to buy alcohol. There was a huge outcry so they backed off a bit. Now the law says that if you look under the age of 40 you have to show ID. I don't know what it's like in other states. As for checks, I really doubt there are any laws. It's up to the individual company or bank if they want to see ID. I usually just deposit checks rather than cash them so I have no idea if I get asked for ID or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies