Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,580,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Strange ... none of the Canadians I know give a rip about anything in those 10 points.

And given most Canadians are quite liberal by American standards, and philosophically wouldn't be so opposed to some of those in that list, ...

I can only conclude this list is totally fabricated by some right wing nut spouting the usual Tea Bagger bullcrap. *yawn*

A REAL Canadian's list of top 5 things they think we're stupid about:

1) Thinking that the "war on terror" does any good. In fact we're only sowing the seeds of future terrorists by blowing up the fathers of kids. Great job America! BTW, thanks for forcing ME, a CANADIAN, to POINT OUT I'm CANADIAN, NOT AMERICAN! QUIT PISSING OFF THE WORLD! My Australian and British friends agree.

2) I get that America is a big place. Bigger in fact than all of Europe geographically. So I excuse the lack of knowlege of basic geography, but man, I can't help but shake my head how woefully stupid most Americans are with their own country's geography. And no, Canada is not the 51st state. And we have provinces anyway.

3) Americans' fetish with gun rights is taking things a tad too far. In Alberta they love their guns alright. But ... arming teachers? Really? I can't help but think the NRA has long since stopped talking about the rights of the common man and more about the economic interests of the gun lobby. I wonder how big their kickback checks are and whether they think about the blood on their hands ...

4) The Imperial measurement system. Really, America? You gave us the Internet, landed on the moon, launch satellites into space, carry half the world's air traffic, more than half the cargo traffic, invented really awesome cars and machines ... and yet you can't read metric? Only you and ... two other countries. Both **** hole states. Winning! ... NOT!

5) Only in America would people rant about REQUIRING people to get health care. More people in health care = cheaper care for everyone while regulating business interests. DUH! Why else do you think the rest of the civilized world has long since gone towards socialized medicine. Because it works! And no, I don't have to wait 20 years for surgery. Again, conservatives whipping up fire and brimstone at the behest of corporate interests while feigning interest and common ideology with the "little guy." I think most Americans who vote Republican must have a hole in their heads. It's just SO STUPID.
In full disclosure I'm an American who grew up in West Virginia (very conservative, very gun happy upbringing).

1.Couldn't agree more. Terrorism creates terrorism.

3.Having grown up in a gun culture I don't remember it always being this crazy. Even during the 90s with the push for gun control under the Clinton Administration. If you saw a firearm in public it was someone who was going hunting or to the range. People had the common sense to not open carry an assault rifle in a grocery store, even if they disagreed with the gun control initiatives. I think a lot of our gun fetish is the result of our entertainment media which always portrays firearms as being tools for protecting others or stopping crime. This does not accurately portray reality, which is why you see NRA members suggesting that had a teacher been armed they could stop school shooters. Ok, what about the other 99.9999% of the time where you're keeping a fire arm in close proximity to children and (potentially) disgruntled teachers? All so that a teacher has the potential to take down a statistically highly unlikely school shooter, and we're to assume that in the confusion other students won't be shot? INSANE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM

4,617 posts, read 12,221,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
In full disclosure I'm an American who grew up in West Virginia (very conservative, very gun happy upbringing).

1.Couldn't agree more. Terrorism creates terrorism.

3.Having grown up in a gun culture I don't remember it always being this crazy. Even during the 90s with the push for gun control under the Clinton Administration. If you saw a firearm in public it was someone who was going hunting or to the range. People had the common sense to not open carry an assault rifle in a grocery store, even if they disagreed with the gun control initiatives. I think a lot of our gun fetish is the result of our entertainment media which always portrays firearms as being tools for protecting others or stopping crime. This does not accurately portray reality, which is why you see NRA members suggesting that had a teacher been armed they could stop school shooters. Ok, what about the other 99.9999% of the time where you're keeping a fire arm in close proximity to children and (potentially) disgruntled teachers? All so that a teacher has the potential to take down a statistically highly unlikely school shooter, and we're to assume that in the confusion other students won't be shot? INSANE.
Funny how our perceptions change with the times. I've always thought of the 90's as an extension of the James Brady campaign left over from the Reagan era shooting in the early 80's that had finally gotten support. This is about the time the NRA became a voice for the manufacturers instead of training for the people.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:01 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,586,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
If you saw a firearm in public it was someone who was going hunting or to the range. People had the common sense to not open carry an assault rifle in a grocery store, even if they disagreed with the gun control initiatives.
I was in a conversation about that kind of incident with a friend of mine who is a local gun dealer. We both agreed that if we saw that happen, we might just immediately draw on the guy and order him to drop his weapon...or we'd drop him.

Who is to know whether someone walking into a grocery store with an assault rifle isn't going to open up on everyone in the store?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,318,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was in a conversation about that kind of incident with a friend of mine who is a local gun dealer. We both agreed that if we saw that happen, we might just immediately draw on the guy and order him to drop his weapon...or we'd drop him.

Who is to know whether someone walking into a grocery store with an assault rifle isn't going to open up on everyone in the store?
And yet many states are open carry ...

Funny how people in one culture will SAY something but their LAWS will reflect a different reality?

Sometimes I wish certain pockets of America would wake the **** up and realize that the NRA, and other organizations and politicians speak ONLY for the manufacturers of guns.

That said, I've made a killing on the gun stock I own. I sold mid last year after a healthy 150% profit but it just feels dirty now. Blood causing stock prices to go up. What a shame. Americans are at heart wonderful people, it' sjust they're not very logical whatsoever. But some pockets just claim to think that "authority" speaks the truth. False. Utter false. The only true "authority" is God and not your politician. It's OK to vote by the guy who's name has a (D) next to it in elections, it won't hurt! I promise! 90% of the civilized world has surpassed you utterly and totally America. You are NOT #1 in anything except the prison population. Time to catch up. I know you can do it.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,384,662 times
For about 10 years of participating in a forum run by Canadians, I learned that some of the Canadian members were willing to criticize their healthcare system and some were not. Few posted anything negative about their own country, whereas Americans freely criticize America. Some Canadians know much more about American than vice versa. Some of us still keep in touch.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,102,135 times
Only in Canada can you find so many people trying their best to emulate what is done in America.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
And yet many states are open carry ...

Funny how people in one culture will SAY something but their LAWS will reflect a different reality?
In this or another thread, I mentioned how when I was a kid in Oklahoma open carry was legal...but the people who carried openly were usually ranchers or farmers who were in town for a quick errand, and normally they left their weapons in the vehicle. They might have walked into the feed store with a revolver still on their belts, but not into a restaurant or anyone's home because that would have been clearly rude.

Not illegal, just rude...and that's what should be the difference between what the laws permit and what people do.

It's not a probable when people are using their guns as tools. Carrying an assault rifle into a grocery store or restaurant is a fetish or political statement--and people who use guns as fetishes or political statements are worrisome.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,079,873 times
Only in America...do we deny the human rights of 55,000,000+ babies since 1973, the newest unfortunate victims of our oppressive society that has also denied rights to blacks, women, slaves, and more...and call it "reproductive freedom." It's sick.

Abortion= the new slavery.

Only in America...

Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Only in America...do we deny the human rights of 55,000,000+ babies since 1973, the newest unfortunate victims of our oppressive society that has also denied rights to blacks, women, slaves, and more...and call it "reproductive freedom." It's sick.

Abortion= the new slavery.

Only in America...
Rather less in America than many other places in the Western/Industrialized world.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 AM

400 posts, read 572,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
A friend posted this on another forum. What do you think? Do you agree with any of these?

Canada's Top Ten List of America's Stupidity

10) Only in America ... could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America ... could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General and roughly 20% of the federal workforce is black while only 14% of the population is black. 40+% of all federal entitlements goes to black Americans - 3X the rate that go to whites, 5X the rate that go to Hispanics!

8) Only in America ... could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America ... can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America ... would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America ... could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America ... could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America ... could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America ... could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America ... could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

Read more at http://www.liveleak....CQ1B4yb8qbEv.99
This list is clearly written by a tea bagger American. The issues that are listed are not of any interest to the Canadians. And discussions I had with Canadians about our American cultural ways are mostly in relation to why American's are so obsessed with race, why we allow poverty to fester in "ghettos", why does our government collect so much in taxes but the average citizen gets so little back. And #3 is a joke, Canadians are making billions off of selling gas to American companies, they could care less about what we pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies