U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 AM

3,989 posts, read 2,760,573 times

Advertisements

A friend posted this on another forum. What do you think? Do you agree with any of these?

Canada's Top Ten List of America's Stupidity

10) Only in America ... could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America ... could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General and roughly 20% of the federal workforce is black while only 14% of the population is black. 40+% of all federal entitlements goes to black Americans - 3X the rate that go to whites, 5X the rate that go to Hispanics!

8) Only in America ... could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America ... can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America ... would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America ... could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America ... could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America ... could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America ... could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America ... could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

Read more at http://www.liveleak....CQ1B4yb8qbEv.99
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,105,079 times
Only in America....We have more millionaires in the congress who demand that we spread the wealth.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,452,274 times
Interesting. This top 10 list written by "Canada" describes many issues that Canadians simply do not regard as worthy of discussion. When "we" Canadians talk about issues in the United States, we do not generally discuss things like tax fraud, federal entitlements towards blacks, and US gas gouging. "We" tend to list stupidity in terms of things like health care, poverty, child care benefits, and employment issues (among others, of course).

In other words, this list was obviously written by an American, and from an American perspective.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 965,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Interesting. This top 10 list written by "Canada" describes many issues that Canadians simply do not regard as worthy of discussion. When "we" Canadians talk about issues in the United States, we do not generally discuss things like tax fraud, federal entitlements towards blacks, and US gas gouging. "We" tend to list stupidity in terms of things like health care, poverty, child care benefits, and employment issues (among others, of course).

In other words, this list was obviously written by an American, and from an American perspective.
Agreed. Whenever I visit Canada, the principal barbs aimed at American society look like this:

* Why do Americans love their guns so much? Do Americans seriously believe that private citizens using rifles and pistols could forestall government tyranny?

* Why do so many things in America vary from one state to another?

* Why are so many Americans philosophically opposed to a single-payer health care system?

* Why are Americans so religious?

* Why does America not have a merit-based legal immigration system, where for instance persons with STEM degrees and demonstrated command of English can obtain a long-term work visa?

* Why haven't most Americans (except for maybe those in Minnesota) figured out how to drive in the snow?

* Why has America not seriously considered a national sales tax (value-added tax)?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,418,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Despite it being written by an American does not discount the message. Bravo. I'll have to put my mind to it and come back with some dark humor

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM

361 posts, read 230,880 times
The original list (which was made over a year and a half ago) had 20 items on it and it was definitely American. You can still find it on rightwingnewsdotcom if you are so inclined.

Nobody thought it was odd that a Canadian list only bashed liberal things, not to mention such nonsensical things at least some of which aren't even true. I haven't seen the law that said I need a driver's license to cash a check or purchase alcohol.

Being written by an American doesn't discount the message. The content and credibility of the message discounts the message.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 PM

297 posts, read 183,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

1) Only in America ... could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

Read more at http://www.liveleak....CQ1B4yb8qbEv.99

Maybe poor people don't pay "INCOME taxes" , because they don't have JOBS.

But people without JOBS, DO pay TAXES.
Poor people are not "getting away" with anything. They pay taxes TOO.

You cannot buy ANYTHING (with the exception of house food)
in the U.S. without paying taxes.

If people are so jealous of the poor, maybe they should give up their JOBS and
feed off of the gov't.

Perhaps they'd be HAPPY then. Hmmmm?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM

297 posts, read 183,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I haven't seen the law that said I need a driver's license to cash a check or purchase alcohol.
Maybe there is no law for it, but you DO need to show I.D.
So why are YOU the one making misleading posts?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM

1,562 posts, read 649,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Agreed. Whenever I visit Canada, the principal barbs aimed at American society look like this:

* Why do Americans love their guns so much? Do Americans seriously believe that private citizens using rifles and pistols could forestall government tyranny?
Once you give up any rights.. You rarely get them back. That's *MY* problem with it.. Personally. I own no handguns and don't feel the need to own them. Rifles are another story. Hunting in my area of the US (Southeast) is huge.

Quote:
* Why do so many things in America vary from one state to another?
In theory.. The US is supposed to have a small federal government, and the states are supposed to create their own laws. hence, the term.. United States. Doesn't really work that way anymore. And that's a bad thing.

Quote:
* Why are so many Americans philosophically opposed to a single-payer health care system?
I'm not. I am opposed to it having anything at all to do with the government. Meaning, whoever heads it shouldn't be political appointees.. But, I see no way around that.

Quote:
* Why are Americans so religious?
Some are.. Some aren't. I count myself among the latter.

Quote:
* Why does America not have a merit-based legal immigration system, where for instance persons with STEM degrees and demonstrated command of English can obtain a long-term work visa?
Why bother? Just sneak in and you'll get amnesty.

Quote:
* Why haven't most Americans (except for maybe those in Minnesota) figured out how to drive in the snow?
Doesn't that fall into the "Any driver other than me" category? You want to know the worst place.. DC.. People abandon their cars IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD when it snows.

Quote:
* Why has America not seriously considered a national sales tax (value-added tax)?
[/quote]

Can't get someone elected who will push for it seriously.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,701,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Despite it being written by an American does not discount the message. Bravo. I'll have to put my mind to it and come back with some dark humor
Because claiming it's a "Canadian" list when it was written by a RW American is lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies