Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why would anyone care? Left wing "comedians" make fun of rednecks like me all of the time. However, being derisive of rural whites is "acceptable" and encouraged among leftists, so that is "okay". Do I care about such parodies? No

I would offer that the 1st amendment rights of the frat were violated.
That's not how the 1st amendment works.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I find everyone guilty in the matter and sentence you all to watch the Boondocks Martin Luther King episode.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Denial ? you think all black people are in gangs and wear throwback jerseys ?

by the way, your first and second sentences make it seem like you do not know the definition of the word stereotype.
Denial....as in denying that segment of black culture does in fact act this way. If a group of white people mimic the activities of others......is it really a stereotype if it's true?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
No it doesn't.

It's in there for exactly this purpose.

Fraternaties and other sponsored organizations that operate off campus but under the regulations of the University.
I'd be willing to bet you my next paycheck that private property rights will trump the reach of the University any day of the week, in any court you can find.

Now, the University may be able to kick the organization off the campus and prohibit it from ever functioning there again, but it simply cannot control the private property rights of others.

That's why it's called "private property."

Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
To be fair, this could've been much, much worse.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
So whatever happened to all the white hip hop stars? They mimic the black people as well ......

Again this is just pure race card bull**** and the little losers complaining. This country is getting filled with more and more soft sissy politics and rules.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd be willing to bet you my next paycheck that private property rights will trump the reach of the University any day of the week, in any court you can find.

Now, the University may be able to kick the organization off the campus and prohibit it from ever functioning there again, but it simply cannot control the private property rights of others.

That's why it's called "private property."
ASU has already suspended the students. If the students want to appeal the suspension the University has that option. If the students want to sue the University, that is on the students. The University has already ruled.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It IS totally different. I agree that one can simply choose not to attend hearing a speaker they disagree with. That is thier right.

However, punishing a frat for practicing thier rights is completely different and hypocritical.

Universities have become dens of intolerance, in which political correctness is welcomed and censoring of free expression is the standard. It is like 1984. When I was in college, one of my former room mates had a "step show" at his black frat - omega phi psi (sp). It was like a 1900s minstrel show, but was actually pretty entertaining. Had this "show" been mandated by whites, it would have been considered "racist" and "deriding".
Yep, that happened on my campus. The white Greek community held a step competition every fall. The black fraternities and sororities would coach us and come to the show. Then the black fraternities would have parties after our show, and everyone went.
And then the black Greek system had their own show every Spring. It wasn't all together because they didn't want to embarrass us, lol. But we went to their show too.

Our university got a new black professor who had graduated from Howard, which she informed us was the Harvard, not the black Harvard because Harvard "couldn't compete with Howard." (Never met someone in my life with such a big chip on their shoulder.)

She found out about the step show and went bat **** crazy. Saying it was a black tradition and white people shouldn't be able to do it. Complaints to the dean, letters to the editor, letters to each of the Greek HQs, etc., etc.
The white step competition got canceled and has never been held again since. She killed an activity that brought black and white Greek organizations together by screaming racism.
She was gone in two years, and last time I looked her up, she was teaching at a historically black college. Guess she couldn't stand teaching white people.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Yep, that happened on my campus. The white Greek community held a step competition every fall. The black fraternities and sororities would coach us and come to the show. Then the black fraternities would have parties after our show, and everyone went.
And then the black Greek system had their own show every Spring. It wasn't all together because they didn't want to embarrass us, lol. But we went to their show too.

Our university got a new black professor who had graduated from Howard, which she informed us was the Harvard, not the black Harvard because Harvard "couldn't compete with Howard." (Never met someone in my life with such a big chip on their shoulder.)

She found out about the step show and went bat **** crazy. Saying it was a black tradition and white people shouldn't be able to do it. Complaints to the dean, letters to the editor, letters to each of the Greek HQs, etc., etc.
The white step competition got canceled and has never been held again since. She killed an activity that brought black and white Greek organizations together by screaming racism.
She was gone in two years, and last time I looked her up, she was teaching at a historically black college. Guess she couldn't stand teaching white people.
Absolutely disgusting beyond words. I would offend a lot of people on this forum if I could say what I really wanted to say.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
LMAO...my alma mater.

And the boys at TKE...why am I not surprised (although they actually do some pretty good work for the community). I remember when that frat was dying...they couldn't hardly attract new members. Guess that's changed.

Look people...this isn't Ole Miss...this is Arizona State, and that kinda stuff just doesn't pass muster in our community. If you wanna act an ass, you'd better not be public about it and post the photos. Universities have the right to determine what the appropriate behavior is in a school approved fraternity, and that's all there is to it. Follow the rules or take your house elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies