Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Cool, US ranks #2 in Ease of Doing Business among the OECD high income nations.

Ranking of economies - Doing Business - World Bank Group
Ranks 20th in starting a business
Which is why we are not creating jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Cool, US ranks #2 in Ease of Doing Business among the OECD high income nations.

Ranking of economies - Doing Business - World Bank Group
Clearly we need to emulate the policies of the roaring Azerbajani economy.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The tax rates wouldnt stop one from forming a company, it actually encourages it due to write offs. The problem is most people dont understand the tax code and afraid of failing.
Turbo tax for business could solve that challenge. Payroll software is cheap stuff.

Fear of failure likely prevents most people from starting a small business. Easier to blame than acknowledge one's fears. Given the new business failure rate, maybe that's a good thing.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Anecdotal evidence.
Yes. Also known as a "counterexample".

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Really? I started one. Very easy.

Admittedly, it didn't make me a lot of money, but the act of starting it was trivial.
I think what is meant is not just the act of proclaiming yourself in business, and filling out the necessary paperwork (if your are starting an LLC), but starting a real business, getting needed financing, and all that is involved with getting that business set up and running. There may be licensing requirements, perhaps inspections, making sure the building and the business complies with all local ordinances, etc. Dealing with bureaucrats can be a hassle.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
We are not creating jobs because:
1. theres not as much wealth amongst the lower 80% to afford to create a business.
2. When you DO create a business the people with enough wealth CAN spend money to shut you down, bury you in legal fees, and create ordinances to put you out of business
3. As the income increasingly goes to the 1% the money spent by the other 99% stays the same or lessons....as that occurs business's do not have increased demand.

I have started a business, while the paperwork and fees are not fun, its also relatively minor.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Turbo tax for business could solve that challenge. Payroll software is cheap stuff.

Fear of failure likely prevents most people from starting a small business. Easier to blame than acknowledge one's fears. Given the new business failure rate, maybe that's a good thing.
When I started my company, I couldnt even afford payroll software. I bought a case of paper that was free after rebate, and was printing every single order I received, and hand writing every shipping label because I didnt have the money to spend. When someone emailed about their order, we would sit down and go through the cases of orders (stored in our livingroom) to find shipping confirmations to email them back..

Boy, those were fun times..

Nothing stops anyone from starting a business.. I'm tired of hearing all of the excuses from people.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think what is meant is not just the act of proclaiming yourself in business, and filling out the necessary paperwork (if your are starting an LLC), but starting a real business, getting needed financing, and all that is involved with getting that business set up and running. There may be licensing requirements, perhaps inspections, making sure the building and the business complies with all local ordinances, etc. Dealing with bureaucrats can be a hassle.
Most small businesses are run out of the home, by independent contractors.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Ranks 20th in starting a business. Which is why we are not creating jobs
Oooh, so we are not creating jobs because it takes four days to set up a business We are #6 in Starting a Business category among developed countries.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We are not creating jobs because:
1. theres not as much wealth amongst the lower 80% to afford to create a business.
2. When you DO create a business the people with enough wealth CAN spend money to shut you down, bury you in legal fees, and create ordinances to put you out of business
3. As the income increasingly goes to the 1% the money spent by the other 99% stays the same or lessons....as that occurs business's do not have increased demand.

I have started a business, while the paperwork and fees are not fun, its also relatively minor.
Quote:
Yep you got that. bury you in legal fees and TAXES.

Big business can team with politicians who raise taxes on the little guy and that is "exactly" what happened with the fiscal cliff. Now government is burying the little guy. And Obama voters cheered Obama on as he did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies