Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times

Advertisements

This can't help with the female vote....

Quote:
A Republican member of Congress says in a recently released book that a wife is to "voluntarily submit" to her husband, but that it doesn't make her inferior to him.

Rep. Steve Pearce's (R-N.M.) memoir, "Just Fly the Plane, Stupid!" was released last month. Its publication -- and his acknowledgment in the book of the controversial nature of the submission debate -- come as the Republican Party reevaluates how it talks to and about women.
In the book, Pearce recounts his rise to owning an oil-field service company and winning election to Congress. In the book, the Vietnam War veteran says that both the military chain of command and the family unit need a structure in which everyone plays his or her role.
He said that, in his family's experience, this meant that his wife, Cynthia, would submit to him and he would lead.

"The wife is to voluntarily submit, just as the husband is to lovingly lead and sacrifice," he writes, citing the Bible. "The husband’s part is to show up during the times of deep stress, take the leadership role and be accountable for the outcome, blaming no one else."
GOP congressman’s book: ‘The wife is to voluntarily submit’ to her husband
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,410 times
^^^

I would bet that this kind of thinking drives a lot of the opposition to gay marriage.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think the GOP should make this the backbone of their platform.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Quote:

That's the Biblical definition of marriage. A wife is to submit to her husband, and a husband is to love his wife as Jesus loved the church. A husband is accountable to God for his family.

It's basically the same thing Candice Cameron Bure said recently that freaked everyone out. I think our culture is ingrained to rebel at the word "submit." But the bigger responsibility is on the husband.

I submit to my husband as the head of our household, and he seeks my counsel for everything. To me, it's no different than being really in tune with each other. Neither person running over the other person.

I'll give you an example of how it works in my marriage. One time we were trying to decide what to do with some money that we wanted to invest. The stock market had been all over the place, and we weren't wanting to stick it into mutual funds. I suggested buying a rental property and found some good deals. My husband is not as much of a real estate person as I am. So he said he wasn't comfortable with it right then. We kept discussing it for several months and the deals I kept finding kept getting sold. I was a little frustrated, but as a wife who is willing to submit, I was willing to accept his answer and not try to guilt or manipulate him into it. I watched the market for about 8 months and would occasionally show him deals. Eventually as he saw that I really understood the market well, he was more open. We went to look at a property, and he didn't think it was the right one, but he loved the location. Within a month, a FSBO popped up close by, and it was so affordable, we realized we could pay cash for it. A pretty rare property for a town with the average home over $400K.

We looked at it that night, closed on it in 7 days, and our first rental property was purchased. It has been a huge blessing. We get way more than 10% a year in rent on it, plus it's gone up in value by more than 25%, and we have people fighting to rent it every time it is available. And my husband completely trusts me to find the right deals in the market, and I trust him on when the timing is right.

I know this idea of allowing your husband to be a man and lead your household is so upsetting to many people, but having a man who cares enough to take responsibility for his family and loves his family and God is a very good thing. I consider myself lucky every day.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Lol..sure is a lot of submission going on in the Bible.

Why is religion so stuck on the act of submission? Submit to your husband, submit to God, submit to your parents, submit to Caesar, submit to the clergy....

It's like living a life of perpetual genuflecting.

Submit, submit, submit...you guys can have it.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:

Why do you care what wives voluntarily do in their own homes?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

That's the Biblical definition of marriage. A wife is to submit to her
husband, and a husband is to love his wife as Jesus loved the church. A husband
is accountable to God for his family.

It's basically the same thing
Candice Cameron Bure said recently that freaked everyone out. I think our
culture is ingrained to rebel at the word "submit." But the bigger
responsibility is on the husband.

I submit to my husband as the head of
our household, and he seeks my counsel for everything. To me, it's no different
than being really in tune with each other. Neither person running over the other
person
Hey, if you want to submit, knock yourself out. I'm all about choice.
That being said, an old dusty book of Bronze Age superstitions has no bearing on my life.

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
I guess there is nothing a Republican here can say or do that's so ibicillic that someone on here won't defend it.

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do you care what wives voluntarily do in their own homes?
Shouldn't you be somewhere submitting to something or someone?

Submit everybody!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times
A marriage with one head is a marriage, one with two heads, a monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies