U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM

645 posts, read 1,191,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I didn't say there was a higher percentage. Its an overall higher number. Also, you can look at the national numbers to make a point, but it doesn't eliminate the fact that there are areas where the white poverty rates are very high percenatge wise (well above 50%).

My point about media sensationalism was pretty basic. Look at the media outcry about Katrina. All the disenfranchised inner city blacks were victims and its an outrage that this could happen in America. It was, and still is a talking point for the media. Yet every year tornadoes tear through the midwest, often destroying areas that are inhabitated almost exclusively by poor white people, especially trailer parks. But since trailer parks are full of ignorant rednecks who should know better than to live in trailer parks in tornado alley, we shouldn't pay any attention to them.

Also note that the Asian poverty rate is almost equal to whites, even though they are more in the minority than blacks or hispanics.
I know you didn't say as a percentage (as noted by my last sentence), but it makes no sense at looking at the total number since white are in the majority. I understand that there are rural areas where there is a high percentage of people living in poverty, but the concentration of people also have a big effect on crime. It would be interesting to see crime statistics for poor white people living in the city.

So you don't believe Katrina was an outrage? The problem with Katrina was the very slow response by FEMA and other government agencies. It certainly gave the perception that the response to an area where the majority is black is slower than when such an event happens in a predominantly white area.

And the Asian poverty rate further supports the point that crime is related to poverty.

Unread 11-27-2007, 09:36 AM

6,758 posts, read 6,510,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I know you didn't say as a percentage (as noted by my last sentence), but it makes no sense at looking at the total number since white are in the majority. I understand that there are rural areas where there is a high percentage of people living in poverty, but the concentration of people also have a big effect on crime. It would be interesting to see crime statistics for poor white people living in the city.

So you don't believe Katrina was an outrage? The problem with Katrina was the very slow response by FEMA and other government agencies. It certainly gave the perception that the response to an area where the majority is black is slower than when such an event happens in a predominantly white area.

And the Asian poverty rate further supports the point that crime is related to poverty.
The percentage of white majority is shrinking, while white poverty percentages are not. I don't view white poverty as any type of priority, but it certainly should not be downplayed just because of percentages. Poor people are poor people in my book. They all need a little help along the way. I do imagine white poverty crime stats would support that in city crime is greater than rural. Like I mentioned, when you stack people in tight in poor living conditions, it breeds discontentment and crime.

As for Katrina being an outrage, I guess I didn't see it as a big outrage since it wasn't a slow federal response that was the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that poor planning had been ongoing for several decades although many experts repeatedly sounded the warning alarm that New Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen. I remember watching shows about what would happen if New Orleans was hit by a major hurricane years before it actually happened. The state and local officials did nothing to solve well known problems. As for the people at the Superdome, yes that was very sad. I shed quiet a few tears when watching it. But its hard to say it was all because they were black. Aid was VERY slow getting to MS and the only reason they didn't have such a dire situation is the water went back out to sea after Katrina moved through. My family lives in MS, and my mother and step dad who are near their 70's had to go through A LOT to help people in rural areas who were ignored for MONTHS because most of the aid was going to New Orleans. It was huge news locally because people wanted help. But nationally, showing thousands of people spread out over hundreds of square miles doesn't have the sensationalistic impact of showing thousands packed into one small area.

The media tries to control the thinking process surrounding big events, but when you know people directly in the middle of things, your perspective is usually different. Me and my wife loaded up my truck with over $1000 worth of food and water and made a trip to MS and helped put together care packages that my mom organized a distribution process. We left immediately after dropping it all off because we were just 2 more mouths to feed if we stayed and supplies were SLIM. My mom told me when she called a few days later how much the packages helped because the people she took them too were not getting help from anybody else, some of them had run out of food and not eaten in 3-4 days. This was 75 miles north of the coast. So the destruction and hardships was much more widespread than just the NOLA metro area. However, watching the national news, you'd think that MS just got some thunderstorms and a little rain.

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM

391 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I think people need to stop being that concerned with poverty in the USA.

Those poverty stricken people seem to live quite well considering.

Only in America are the poor driving cars,owning their own homes and having two or more TVs.

nornally I would take a post like this as sarcasm, but since you are a Republican, I think you are actually being serious

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM

4,708 posts, read 5,144,038 times
Does anyone believe that the needs of a people's militia (to fight what, the U.S. Army?) includes the need to own and possess cheap Saturday Night Special handguns (which are used to commit most murders by firearms in America)?

Does anyone believe that Congress or the states can't come up with legislation that is constitutionally sound that would put a serious dent in the use of these weapons to commit so many crimes?

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM

25,105 posts, read 22,197,319 times
I don't own a "cheap" Saturday Night special

I own an expensive Glock 9mm -

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

19,556 posts, read 10,696,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
nornally I would take a post like this as sarcasm, but since you are a Republican, I think you are actually being serious
46% own their own homes.

76% have air conditioning.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe.

30% own two cars.

97% have color TVs.

62% have cable or satellite TV.

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

25,105 posts, read 22,197,319 times
Quote:
I think people need to stop being that concerned with poverty in the USA.

Those poverty stricken people seem to live quite well considering.

Only in America are the poor driving cars,owning their own homes and having two or more TVs.
That's funny!!

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:07 PM

19,556 posts, read 10,696,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Does anyone believe that the needs of a people's militia (to fight what, the U.S. Army?) includes the need to own and possess cheap Saturday Night Special handguns (which are used to commit most murders by firearms in America)?
Define cheap Saturday Night Special?

If you mean below a certain price are you not then advocating a type of means test for gun ownership???

Strikes me as classist,wanting to deprive those with less money the right to self defense.

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM

391 posts
Quote:
46% own their own homes.

76% have air conditioning.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe.

30% own two cars.

97% have color TVs.

62% have cable or satellite TV.

you are a joke, so that means

54% dont own homes

24% dont have air condititiong

70% dont have 2 cars

3% dont have a color TV(woop dee doo, you can get a color TV for $10)

38% dont have sattelite or cable

Seriously you are what is wrong with the Republican party, completly in your own selfish greedy world, out of touch with people who actually have to work for a living

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM

391 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's funny!!

of course it does to you, another one who has no concept of what it is like to actually struggle or go through some hardship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies