Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

amazing stuff. teaching is racist, employing people is racist. dating is racist. law enforcement is racist.
evaluating people's literacy for welfare training and employment is racist. credit checks are racist. bar socializing and office parties are racist. private schooling is racist.
pretty much all functions of our society are now subject to charges of racism. its a bit like post revolution france. no one is safe of charges of treason. if the constant assault continues how will we have diversity?? with a stick you will accomplish diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Yeah, too bad homie. Nam sayin' ?

I'm not sure I would use "Urban Dictionary" as a source to make your case. I feel like you can make a strong argument on the lack of merit of "ebonics" alone. Quoting a "crowd source" internet dictionary really just retracts from any credibility of your argument.

The whole argument against ebonics is that it's some bastardized version of American English. But modern American English itself is a bastardization of American English from hundreds of years ago. If you want to go way back, we're all screwing up a language from the plains north of the Black Sea ~8000 years ago.

Really, English is the most simple language grammatically out of all of the Germanic languages. I guess that means Americans and Brits are too stupid to use inflection.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
amazing stuff. teaching is racist, employing people is racist. dating is racist. law enforcement is racist.
evaluating people's literacy for welfare training and employment is racist. credit checks are racist. bar socializing and office parties are racist. private schooling is racist.
pretty much all functions of our society are now subject to charges of racism. its a bit like post revolution france. no one is safe of charges of treason. if the constant assault continues how will we have diversity?? with a stick you will accomplish diversity?
Who is saying any of this? I know you enjoy feeling outraged, but I've never heard of most of this. Isolated instances don't mean that there's some pro-black trend in society.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM

I wanted to add that, although I do think having a standard language for professional communication is good, this wasn't always the norm in society. There definitely wasn't any standard spelling for English words until the first dictionary was made, and thus one could spell words many different ways in professional correspondence without issues. I believe the same applied to different grammar.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Yeah, I mean what is wrong a college professor screaming down the hall at another professor "Who let this [f word]ing **** [offensive term referring to a Spanish-speaking person] in here?" Clearly the graduate students and professors at UCLA are just being too sensitive.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why was racism used as defense when the student knew he was wrong? Wouldn't he want to thank the professor for helping him?
Tutored ignorance.

A story of such:

A few years before I enlisted in the Air Force--talking late 60s--the way enlisted persons were promoted was by the Air Force authorizing the local unit to promote a certain number of people. The unit commander made the promotion decisions, based on his personal judgment. With most commanders being white and the times being what they were, it was extremely difficult for black airmen to get promoted, especially to the senior ranks.

The Air Force corrected that by introducing standardized promotion testing and weighting promotions most heavily on the tests. Consequently, promotions of blacks rose instantly. By the time I enlisted in the early 70s, the now-senior NCOs praised standardized testing highly.

I also approved of the test, and toward the end of my career I even participated in writing them. The Air Force test creation process is one I highly favor.

But by the end of my Air Force career nearly three decades later, the new young black airmen criticized the entire concept of standardized testing as "racist." Clearly they were merely parroting what they'd been taught at some point before joining the Air Force. They griped, "We want to be promoted for our performance, not our test scores."

I tried to explain with great patience that their "performance" was nothing more than what their supervisors wrote in their performance reports and depended on what their supervisor thought of them...if they were worried about racism. The standardized tests were based on the study materials that were freely available to everyone. They had complete control over how they did on the tests; they had little control over what their supervisors wrote in their performance reports.

I fear many didn't get it. Tutored ignorance.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I wanted to add that, although I do think having a standard language for professional communication is good, this wasn't always the norm in society. There definitely wasn't any standard spelling for English words until the first dictionary was made, and thus one could spell words many different ways in professional correspondence without issues. I believe the same applied to different grammar.
And so, I invite you to Google a copy of Roger Williams' "The Bloudy Tenent of Persecution for the Sake of Conscious" and try slogging through its 1644-era exposition. Then let's talk about what a great invention the dictionary has been.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 PM

804 posts, read 618,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

Really, English is the most simple language grammatically out of all of the Germanic languages. I guess that means Americans and Brits are too stupid to use inflection.
No. It means that that there is no excuse not to speak it correctly.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did he also correct the grammer and spelling of illiterate white or Asian students in the class? If so, he was not "racist", he is simply treating everyone equally. No one should get a special pass for stupidity based on their race.

I would like to see the papers that were "corrected".
yes asians speak ebonics all the time

Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Yeah, too bad homie. Nam sayin' ?

I'm not sure I would use "Urban Dictionary" as a source to make your case. I feel like you can make a strong argument on the lack of merit of "ebonics" alone. Quoting a "crowd source" internet dictionary really just retracts from any credibility of your argument.
Any source will do, Ebonics is nothing more than bastardized English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies