Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should medical marijuana be legal?
Yes, absolutely! 195 77.38%
Only if it's for medical conditions. 27 10.71%
I'm not sure. 5 1.98%
No 25 9.92%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

19,608 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I really can't stand the absolute moralists on this forum. We get it, you think you are morally superior if you aren't on any substances. I really would like to know how many prescription meds secretly are in the cupboards, how many legal drugs these people dope themselves with (food can also be a drug, you know?) while wearing their little precious halos. I'm willing to bet many of them are obese slobs who live in the Bible Belt and voted Bush twice. People have been taking drugs for thousands of years and YES, it is natural. These are the same people who want to legislate what goes on in our bedrooms and our spiritual lives. I do not associate with them and want them as far away from me as possible. Key thing to remember is we outnumber them. Go to the polls this year with that in mind.
There are actually people who live a healthy lifestyle and don't do drugs, prescription or otherwise, and eat well and exercise. A lot of them are liberals but that is irrelevant. They may not be so gung ho on their kids growing up with the idea that weed is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:10 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well some of us are against all that stuff too. Maybe just live a healthy lifestyle free of all those substances. It does sound like you are addicted to weed in order to sleep, for one thing. You may get the same effect using a light box, which would be the more natural healthy choice than weed or any kind of prescription drug. I agree about doctors being like drug dealers, so quick to give psychotropic meds. But I don't think weed is better than those drugs. There is a lot to be said for exercise and diet, as you said, but you lose me with the idea of using pot and the reasoning behind it. You know you do see it in the eyes when someone is stoned, even a little. It is doing something to the brain that isn't really natural.
It's more natural then you may think:

"U.S. and Brazilian scientists have discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself."

""The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head."

Human Brains Make Their Own 'Marijuana' -- ScienceDaily

Yes, we have cannabinoid receptors in our brain and our immune system. Seems pretty natural to me, our bodies are built for it.

Maybe you can live a perfectly healthy lifestyle while smoking marijuana, ever think about that? Marijuana is the safest, most benign medicine we've got going right now. Humans and marijuana get along. Prescription medications kill 20,000+ per year in U.S. Marijuana has killed 0 people, ever. It's almost physically impossible to overdose on MJ. There's no hangover. It doesn't significantly hinder motor function. Creativity increases, feelings of well being, love, connection, peace, introspection, all increase. Then add in all the therapeutic physical affects that we currently know about and all the ones we don't know about yet, and it's obvious why so many people enjoy smoking and are able to lead healthy, balanced, productive and satisfying lives while doing so. When abused you tend to want to eat a lot, and if already prone to laziness can suffer from an insatiable desire to veg out on the couch and hang out with friends and/or your pets all day every day.

In contrast, drinking makes you stupid, unable to control your own body, violent(not always), dumb, unconscious, uninhibited, makes you do stuff you later heavily regret, makes you physically and mentally sick the next day, and when abused leads to life/relationships falling apart and sickness and death.

Cigarettes just addict you then kill you, they don't even have any positives. 450,000 dead per year in U.S, with 50,000 secondhand innocents.

Yet alcohol and cigarettes are legal and marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic and as illegal as you can get on a federal level. It makes ya think... I'm just glad the country as a whole is starting to think, and the majority want MJ legalized, and the percentage who want it is growing rapidly. When the majority comes to a decision, politicians move with it or get voted out of office.

Last edited by tofur; 01-27-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Yes I agree that I use weed to the point that I 'sound' addicted but I really just enjoy it that's all...I can and have stopped any time I want..and the times that I did was more to prove that I can in fact live life just fine without it, I would go months. Nothing happened I just start back up because I like to do it, same as others who like to have a drink and they're not alcoholics. Could I get a light box..yes but what fun is a light box?? I have a TON of stressers around me and had a VERY rough upbringing just to keep it simple so I will say I used it as some what of an escape (antidepressant) when I was younger (18-20) it really helped to stop me from going absolutely CRAZY!! But then when I started to go to school for my trade I stopped to have a clear head while focusing on my education. I did just fine, and then when I started working I would go out and casually smoke then just started up doing it all the time because I just like how I felt at ease when I smoked, it was like having a really good meal and feeling like 'ahhh' just relaxing. So now I choose to use because I like to do it, but if I had to stop for whatever reason I would..with NO withdrawals unlike anything else. So Yes it'd be real nice if I could be substance free and be as good as you are but I am actually very happy with my life right now and i'm ok with my choices but thanks for pointing out how someones eyes look different when they smoke I can imagine the horror when you have to look at that lol. And yes weed IS better than those drugs but you can continue to be uneducated on the subject and judge those that choose green over pills
Pills are bad too. Addicts will always justify themselves. You mock light therapy and praise a drug that impairs, so that's fine.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM

294 posts, read 542,409 times
Quote:
Pills are bad too. Addicts will always justify themselves. You mock light therapy and praise a drug that impairs, so that's fine.
Fine call me an addict, maybe I do qualify as one seeing I like to do something at night to help me unwind...similar to an herbal tea yet inhaled instead that gives a 'slight' buzz I really don't care..I didn't mock the light box, I said "sure I COULD use a light box, but what fun is that?" Meaning it couldn't hurt to use one but I actually enjoy partaking in a smoke at night instead..what is the big deal?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
There are actually people who live a healthy lifestyle and don't do drugs, prescription or otherwise, and eat well and exercise. A lot of them are liberals but that is irrelevant. They may not be so gung ho on their kids growing up with the idea that weed is good.
Of course there are people (of all political persuasions) who lead uber healthy lifestyles, but I think that other poster was directing their comments at those who ACT high & mighty - and/or those who feel the need to legislate "healthy" living.

As for your last comment, what makes you think that legalizing pot is saying "weed is good?" As I've pointed out a few times on this thread, there are tons of legal products that are bad for you... cigarettes, alcohol, junk food, tanning beds, etc. So just because something is legal, that doesn't mean anyone is trying to claim it's good for you! But we, as adults, should be free to make those decisions ourselves. Do you agree? If I want to eat a Big Mac & fries, wash it down with a beer, then smoke a joint before bed, I should be allowed to do so without legal repercussions. That is all most of us believe, nothing more nothing less.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Of course there are people (of all political persuasions) who lead uber healthy lifestyles, but I think that other poster was directing their comments at those who ACT high & mighty - and/or those who feel the need to legislate "healthy" living.

As for your last comment, what makes you think that legalizing pot is saying "weed is good?" As I've pointed out a few times on this thread, there are tons of legal products that are bad for you... cigarettes, alcohol, junk food, tanning beds, etc. So just because something is legal, that doesn't mean anyone is trying to claim it's good for you! But we, as adults, should be free to make those decisions ourselves. Do you agree? If I want to eat a Big Mac & fries, wash it down with a beer, then smoke a joint before bed, I should be allowed to do so without legal repercussions. That is all most of us believe, nothing more nothing less.
Then all drugs should be legalized.

Actually those legal things like tanning beds and cigarettes are being legislated. Because they are bad for people. Maybe those things should never have been made legal but they were and we pay the price. Once the cat is out of the bag it's hard to go back and if this legal weed thing goes bad it will be difficult to fix. Just decriminalize it, along with other drugs.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 AM

35 posts, read 61,096 times
We're pretty stoked, no pun intended, here in Florida having the Supreme Court ruling in favor of medical marijuana being on the ballot this coming election.

No matter what your stance on this issue is, it seems that people are starting to realize that cannabis isn't 'just a drug', and is something that can benefit chronically ill patients who need it the most.

Florida State Supreme Court to Allow Vote on Medical Marijuana in November 2014 Ballot

Quote:
Soon Floridians will have an opportunity to join 20 other states along with Washington, D.C. allowing doctors to prescribe medicine for the most chronically ill who live in the state.

Medical Marijuana is already providing relief and therapeutic value to residents in 19 states and the District of Columbia where laws are currently in effect, working well, and protecting both patients and doctors from arrest. A clear majority of the public and many prominent religious and medical organizations support the right of seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana without risking arrest and imprisonment.
Recent polling shows that over 70% of Floridians support the legalization of Medical Marijuana in our state.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

But that isn't up to you, or anyone else to decide what is good or not good for someone else. In regards to your concerns for kids, I understand that as I am a parent. Having said that cannabis should be treated the same as alcohol...21 and older. I can tell you that as it stands right now, cannabis is much easier for minors to obtain than alcohol. There are rules, regulations and age restrictions regarding the consumption and purchase of alcohol, whereas dealers (do to its illegal status) don't ID.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Then all drugs should be legalized.
Absolutely... I agree! Oh, did you think I only supported marijuana legalization?

Quote:
Actually those legal things like tanning beds and cigarettes are being legislated. Because they are bad for people. Maybe those things should never have been made legal but they were and we pay the price. Once the cat is out of the bag it's hard to go back and if this legal weed thing goes bad it will be difficult to fix. Just decriminalize it, along with other drugs.
Obviously I meant to legalize AND regulate, just as we do with those other products. Were you thinking I meant it should be legal with no restrictions? I did not.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Those that are going to do, are going to doing it anyway in most cases and might even find some that quit cause the high was from the risk
So what are the prices, taxes?
Not sure why you're concerned w/ prices & taxes when the rest of your list edit is juvenile stereotypes.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies