Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Could you share some data to back up that claim, please?
2012 election: The Some High School, High School, and Some College (the least educated) groups vote more for Dems than R's, with the difference being the greatest among the least educated at a rate of 2 to 1 for Dems over R's:
Demographics of How Groups Voted in the 2012 Presidential Election

Going further back, the lowest education group consistently has the highest differential in identifying as Dems as opposed to R's, still at a rate of ~2 to 1 for Dem vs. R. Chart at bottom of page:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The climb is harder but also the whine is louder

Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That doesn't make any sense. It's a well-known fact that the least educated in this country overwhelmingly consistently vote Democrat.
This "politifact" appears to contradict your perception of a well known fact. While it focuses only on the education level of white voters, whites comprise 73-78% ( dependent on source) of the U.S. population.

Is education level tied to voting tendencies? | PolitiFact Georgia

Education level of voters is determined by limited exit polls and disclosure of those who choose to participate in such polls.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
2012 election: The Some High School, High School, and Some College (the least educated) groups vote more for Dems than R's, with the difference being the greatest among the least educated at a rate of 2 to 1 for Dems over R's:
According to your link, it appears that Obama had more votes from those polled who identified as having a college or post graduate degree than Romney did. The uptick came from those with post grad degrees.

Polls are limited and rely on disclosures of the people polled.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This "politifact" appears to contradict your perception of a well known fact.
It contradicts nothing. And it's not my perception. It's fact. The largest D vs. R differential BY FAR is among the least educated of our population. The least educated consistently vote/self-identify as Dems over R's by a 2 to 1 margin.

Read the sources, again:
Quote:

Going further back, the lowest education group consistently has the highest differential in identifying as Dems as opposed to R's, still at a rate of ~2 to 1 for Dem vs. R. Chart at bottom of page:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
The assertion that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
on the conservative side you can add "uneducated and ignorant" if you want to generalize.
...CLEARLY isn't true. The uneducated consistently and overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
This is such B.S. I am a higher-earning, educated, professional who is also liberal. I don't expect handouts for me, and I certainly don't want what others have. I just happen to CARE ABOUT PEOPLE (yes, those who you look down upon as "poor"). Frankly, a lot of us care a little too much about ourselves in this country. Additionally, most people do work, yet make so little as they have been squeezed out of any hope for social mobility. Most of the "53%" of whom you decry do work very hard, they just are unable to make an sustainable wage. When a person is making $10 an hour (or less) and have no hope of achieving the credentials necessary to progress to a higher wage (college degree, marketable skills), do you have such little sympathy for them that you are going to call them lazy? I would say that the problem is with you.

Further...lame? You are going to disparage those who are unable to physically perform work (and use a terrible and outdated and ignorant term at that)? I would suggest you go out and meet some of these people...you might learn a thing or two.
That's the problem. You care about other people with OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

I was watching the Independence and they had this young fresh out of ivy league college girl on who ranted about caring about other people and we should give more. Then the host spoke in and said but I want to invest in my own children's future, I earned it and that is my right.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
So let's say you get laid off - not an impossible scenario for anybody, not saying you're a dumbass or anything - and can't get a job for...oh, say, 18 months. Again, not an implausible scenario for anybody....lose your health insurance and get sick, take out a home equity loan to pay for your hospital bills, then lose your house.

This would put you in the 54% that wait to get fed, right? But then, if that happened, it wouldn't be your fault, because all these things happened to you, so you'd be the exception within the 54%, right?

Just asking.....
That's called pi$$ poor planning.

First of all, it should not take anyone 18 months to find a job. It may not be the job that they want, but there is NO reason it should take someone 18 months to find a job. That's a load of garbage.

Health insurance can be bought relatively inexpensively by buying those plans that last 364 days a year. You can be covered without COBRA, and without that baloney called Obamacare.

Second of all, before I ever bought a house, I would make damn sure that I had one hell of a savings set aside, and I would have a nice portfolio before I thought about buying a house. Houses are expensive, not just the initial costs, but during ownership, as well. And if anything ever happened to you along the way, you could lose your house if you did not plan properly before you bought.

No matter how you try to scenario your way out of it, it all does come back to personal responsibility. It is unacceptable that I, and everyone else, should have to pay for someone who doesn't know how to plan ahead.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
This is such B.S. I am a higher-earning, educated, professional who is also liberal. I don't expect handouts for me, and I certainly don't want what others have. I just happen to CARE ABOUT PEOPLE (yes, those who you look down upon as "poor"). Frankly, a lot of us care a little too much about ourselves in this country. Additionally, most people do work, yet make so little as they have been squeezed out of any hope for social mobility. Most of the "53%" of whom you decry do work very hard, they just are unable to make an sustainable wage. When a person is making $10 an hour (or less) and have no hope of achieving the credentials necessary to progress to a higher wage (college degree, marketable skills), do you have such little sympathy for them that you are going to call them lazy? I would say that the problem is with you.

Further...lame? You are going to disparage those who are unable to physically perform work (and use a terrible and outdated and ignorant term at that)? I would suggest you go out and meet some of these people...you might learn a thing or two.
If you truly care about people, then you would stop allowing them to be co-dependent. That is not a quality trait to have, and all it does is harm people. If you truly cared about people, you would not continue to give them money; that doesn't teach them anything.

If I have had to work 3-4 jobs at a time to achieve the credentials necessary to progress in to a higher wage, why can't they?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
The problems are stagnant/declining incomes, declining entrepreneurship, and declining job prospects. Those three are the disease; less equality and less mobility are symptoms.

Also, how you measure mobility is critical. Hypothetically, if tons of people are moving from the 30th to the 70th percentile, but the 70th percentile now is making as much as the 50th percentile was 30 years ago, that doesn't get you as far as it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why is it easier for you to believe that 150,000,000 Americans are lazy instead of 400 Americans greedy?
Possibly because 150 million people have a larger impact on the economy than 400? Anyway, the number of people who are lazy in the sense that they're unwilling to work given the need and the opportunity is very small, and in any case it can't have changed that much in the past few decades. The same goes for greedy people; it's not as if people suddenly discovered greed during the 1970's and 1980's, so it's obvious there are other factors at work.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Why did they only go back 20 years I wonder?

I mean, it couldn't be that income mobility started dropping in 1970, and really slowed down in 1980? Making the 1994-2014 mobility pretty stagnant, but by comparison pretty decent right?

Oh wait...no they say our mobility sucks. But by comparison to 20 years ago, hey its not bad!

Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies