Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Under what premise do you make this statement?
Because getting 9 dollars for every dollar spent is too good of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You are focusing on one thing thats the ACA which is revenue neutral and has subsidies of 100 billion. Why not focus on Medicare. The total budget is about 580 billion and 470 billion is subsidized. In fact about 230 billion comes out of general revenue. Medicare is barely means tested. As an example a couple with an income of $169,000 will get at least a $10,000 annual subsidy from Uncle Sam for Medicare Part B and D. A 60 year old couple making $63,000 a year will get no subsidy and pay the full freight of the ACA which will be in the range of $10,000 per year with very high deductibles . Your concern though is with the ACA which is revenue neutral. You think its going to bankrupt the country. Meanwhile Medicare subidizes the Tea Party types to the tune of $230 billion dollars a year out of the general revenue budget. One program cost O dollars and one cost taxpayers $230 billion. Which one are the Republicans after??? If you want to look at total cost one cost $100 billion and the other $580 billion. Which one are you after?
Would you point out where I am "focusing on one thing thats the ACA" because I never once mentioned it in this thread? I asked CravingMountains why he/she thought "It is just a matter of time before all states do" and then went on to mention the numerous reasons that are more likely than not to keep that from happening from economic pressures, tax pressures, resource pressures, population pressures, debt pressures, etc.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let me explain something to you. Those links are from sources that are entrusted with making policy, defining where you are and telling you what needs to be done to continue on with the life you're accustomed to.

SS Trustees, the National Intelligence Council, the Census Bureau, Congressional Budget Office and the Brookings Institute.

It may be true that they know jack squat about what's going to happen but they're exponentially more in the know than someone like yourself who thinks they can simply dismiss the mounds upon mounds of data they have that they use to make predictions by simply typing it on CD.
I say again, these articles are 1000% debunked by the sheer fact that it is nothing more than DOOMSDAY PROPAGANDA. I swear I don't know why people read this stuff. It isn't healthy.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I say again, these articles are 1000% debunked by the sheer fact that it is nothing more than DOOMSDAY PROPAGANDA. I swear I don't know why people read this stuff. It isn't healthy.
How is it propaganda?

I'm saying that:

The Earth's population will grow by 1.4 to 1.5 billion by 2035.

The world-wide middle-class is growing faster than at any time in the history of the planet and that that will cause increased pressures and restraints on resources of all kinds.

The OASDI (or known to some as Social Security) is way underfunded and by 2016 OADI trust fund will be exhausted and will merge with OASI in terms of how it's paid for. By 2033 OASDI trust fund will be exhausted (if not sooner) and people on SS will be receiving about 77% of what they've been planning for all of their lives.

The tax burden because of things like increased debt, Medicaid, Medicare, etc. is going to be eating into people's discretionary spending and that will affect the U.S. consumer based economy negatively.

None of that is controversial and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the only way people will be keeping things like SS is to tax more or cut benefits or a combination of both and to do that taxes will have to be raised even more than "current law."

There is nothing doomsday about that. However, the U.S. will have a very hard time implementing any sort of Medicaid/Medicare for all program when currently they haven't even remotely shown the courage to even talk about those shortcomings. Republicans try and bring it up and videos are shot out across the internet showing them throwing granny off the cliff and democrats seem to think they can just continue to buy votes by making even more empty promises.

I asked a simply question about why you think "It is just a matter of time before all states do" regarding Medicaid expansion and I provided the many problems that you will face regarding that assumption and you have yet to explain why you think the U.S. will be able to afford that.

TPC Tax Topics | Who Doesn't Pay Federal Taxes?

Down from their previous assessment of 47% (yes, the Brookings Institute -- more specifically the Tax Policy Center is where that number came from in the first place) and in about 20 years it will drop to around 23% affecting large swaths of voters who used to think the nanny state is "free."

Quote:
At the same time, by 2020, if current laws generally remained in place, federal spending apart from that for Social Security and major health care programs would drop to its smallest percentage of total output in more than 70 years, and federal revenues would be a larger percentage of output than they have been, on average, during the past 40 years. Still, the rising cost of Social Security and the major health care programs would lead to widening deficits, CBO projects. Under those projections, federal debt held by the public would rise substantially over the long term as a share of the economy’s annual output—from 72 percent of output now to more than 100 percent of output 25 years from now—which would probably have significant negative consequences for the economy and reduce lawmakers’ ability to respond to unexpected developments.
CBO | Choices for Deficit Reduction: An Update

You'll be receiving less benefits from more taxes and your national debt will be exploding to boot.

Quote:
Individual Empowerment
Individual empowerment will accelerate owing to poverty reduction, growth of the global middle class, greater educational attainment, widespread use of new communications and manufacturing technologies, and health-care advances.

The growth of the global middle class constitutes a tectonic shift: for the first time, a majority of the world’s population will not be impoverished, and the middle classes will be the most important social and economic sector in the vast majority of countries around the world. Individual empowerment is the most important megatrend because it is both a cause and effect of most other trends—including the expanding global economy, rapid growth of the developing countries and widespread exploitation of new communications and manufacturing technologies.

Food, Water, Energy Nexus
Demand for these resources will grow substantially owing to an increase in the global population. Tackling problems pertaining to one commodity will be linked to supply and demand for the others.

Demand for food, water, and energy will grow by approximately 35, 40, and 50 percent respectively owing to an increase in the global population and the consumption patterns of an expanding middle class.
http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/G...rends_2030.pdf

At the same time you're receiving less benefits from more taxes the cost of everything will have gone up by at least 30% to as high as 50% which again will be eating into discretionary spending in a consumer based economy.

Quote:
We believe that in the world of 2030—a world in which a growing global population will have reached somewhere close to 8.3 billion people
http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/G...rends_2030.pdf

Quote:
The Trustees project that annual OASDI cost will exceed non-interest income throughout the long-range period under the intermediate assumptions. The dollar level of the combined trust fund reserves declines beginning in 2021 until reserves are depleted in 2033. Considered separately, the DI Trust Fund reserves become depleted in 2016 and the OASI Trust Fund reserves become depleted in 2035. The projected reserve depletion years are unchanged from last year’s report.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr/2013/tr2013.pdf

Last edited by BigJon3475; 01-26-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies