Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,915 times

Advertisements

threaten law enforcement's funding over marijuana decriminalization/legalization and they will fight you all they way to the jail cell.

Give them a profit motive and they will embrace freedom and liberty and have no motivation to put non violent marijuana users in prison.

its not satire,

its a common sense strategy to help defund the drug war and fund honest and beneficial law enforcement. The drug war is the most destructive policy our nation has ever experienced.

If we continue to reward police departments with seizure of property and quotas on drug arrests to fill our jails with drug users we will continue to spiral downward as a nation as more and more young healthy Americans are relegated to permanent unemployable status because of their past drug arrests.

OR

we can give the law enforcement professionals an ACTUAL INCENTIVE to end the drug war by securing their employment and expansion of their divisions by increasing their funding so they can put REAL criminals in jail.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM

n/a posts
Who needs crime almost as much as criminals? The police.
Honest and beneficial law enforcement doesn't include a cop on every street, or drones.

Laws aren't set in stone...they change constantly. My fear is that the police would pick up on another perfectly benign human behaviour and criminalize it to fund their rather cushy lifestyles as they did, and still do, with marijuana.

I don't see why they should then be rewarded after having participated in the ruining of millions of lives. They should lose their jobs if there is no more work, they should not create more work.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Honest and beneficial law enforcement doesn't include a cop on every street, or drones.

Laws aren't set in stone...they change constantly. My fear is that the police would pick up on another perfectly benign human behaviour and criminalize it to fund their rather cushy lifestyles as they did, and still do, with marijuana.

I don't see why they should then be rewarded after having participated in the ruining of millions of lives. They should lose their jobs if there is no more work, they should not create more work.
That is an excellent point but the police shouldn't be able to write the laws only law making politicians have that power and we the people should control them through our Democratic process now the scary part is once a private Corporation is in charge of the police our democratic vote no longer matters and making breathing air illegal would be a very profitable move.... would they go that far...unlikely....but they definitely would if they could and may seek other ways to profit from quote natural human behaviors... if the jailer actually has a financial interest to keep you in the correctional institution you may not be leaving anytime soon...

Drones and cops on every corner would be perfectly fine with me as long as they weren't criminalizing natural human behavior and existed simply to protect us from other people not ourselves which is their whole point in the first place...

Old 03-25-2018, 09:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
That is an excellent point but the police shouldn't be able to write the laws only law making politicians have that power and we the people should control them through our Democratic process now the scary part is once a private Corporation is in charge of the police our democratic vote no longer matters and making breathing air illegal would be a very profitable move.... would they go that far...unlikely....but they definitely would if they could and may seek other ways to profit from quote natural human behaviors... if the jailer actually has a financial interest to keep you in the correctional institution you may not be leaving anytime soon...

Drones and cops on every corner would be perfectly fine with me as long as they weren't criminalizing natural human behavior and existed simply to protect us from other people not ourselves which is their whole point in the first place...
Thats my thought as well, law enforcement should have NO Part in creating laws, or even opinions on laws. They are in place to enforce the laws, nothing more, nothing less. It changes everything when lawmakers start going to police and asking their opinion on what should happen or what needs to be enacted, police should not have an opinion on any of this.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

Yep. There was a local article awhile back that stated around 65% of all local crime was connected to drugs in some way. Its quite easy to see why law enforcement relies so much on the drug laws, take them away and what would they be left with? It would not be enough to justify their current budgets or staffing levels.

US law enforcement needs the drug laws as much as the drug cartels do, both rely heavily on drugs remaining totally illegal, and I believe they work together to ensure this never changes.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:09 PM

The primary opposition to decriminalizing narcotics and treating it like a health issue is law enforcement and prison labor unions in addition to the number one player big private law enforcement agencies like Geo Group wackenhut G4S . These private for-profit companies bribe our politicians to the hilt to remain tough on drugs the only way to get these people to allow America to move forward would be to show them that the elimination of the drug war will not result in their loss of jobs it's simply an economic incentive issue for them there are some very interesting documentaries now about civil asset forfeiture and policing for profit which is 95% connected to narcotic prohibition.... we've turned law enforcement into a for-profit Enterprise and the resulting cluster bomb is what we're dealing with now...

https://youtu.be/X9sZSuk09Gg

https://youtu.be/EP88_mNK3-U

https://youtu.be/W8yYJ_oV6xk

Law enforcement was created to protect people from people not people from themselves... there is no reason to fear legitimate law enforcement there is reason to fear our current system....

I think it's sad but true that we have to bribe law enforcement more so than the big private companies do and I'm not sure where we're going to get the money otherwise LOL

Last edited by Boer; 03-25-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep. There was a local article awhile back that stated around 65% of all local crime was connected to drugs in some way. Its quite easy to see why law enforcement relies so much on the drug laws, take them away and what would they be left with? It would not be enough to justify their current budgets or staffing levels.

US law enforcement needs the drug laws as much as the drug cartels do, both rely heavily on drugs remaining totally illegal, and I believe they work together to ensure this never changes.
That's the fact we are dealing with, and I don't think we can beat it in any other way

Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
I think cities and local municipalities should decide on how to best use the new revinue stream. If their local law enforcement is severely underfunded then sure, let it go to them. Education and using it to pay down government debt are also popular ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies