Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times

Advertisements

Let me see if I've got this straight.

If my boss, who owns the company, refuses to do business with Baptists, say, or Catholics, because of his religious beliefs, that's OK?

Or is it only OK to discriminate against gays?

What if your religion thinks blacks are the spawns of Satan? Does that make it OK to discriminate against them?

Looking forward to the answers to these questions.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

If my boss, who owns the company, refuses to do business with Baptists, say, or Catholics, because of his religious beliefs, that's OK?

What if your religion thinks blacks are the spawns of Satan? Does that make it OK to discriminate against them?

In most, if not all, of these cases the private property owner will cater to gays, just not perform services related to gay marriage.

A private property owner should have the right to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:

In a land where freedom of association allegedly exists, any private citizen should be free to associate with any other private citizen to whatever degree they wish for whatever reason they wish. The theory that doing business removes all of one's natural rights of existence is anathema to any notion of liberty or freedom.

The first and foremost of natural rights of property is ownership of self and those things which one through their own labor creates that is of value. Thus, that which a person creates that has value belongs to them until they choose to trade it for something some other person has that they value in trade. The trade is and should be voluntary for both parties according to their own self-interests. If freedom of association exists, then both entities in a trade should be free to either enter into or NOT ENTER into a trade based on any criteria they feel is in their own self-interest.

And supporting the notion that the minute one creates/sells things of value in exchange for money is the same minute one loses any/all of their natural rights of existence is to support abject tyranny and enslavement to the collective.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In a land where freedom of association allegedly exists, any private citizen should be free to associate with any other private citizen to whatever degree they wish for whatever reason they wish. The theory that doing business removes all of one's natural rights of existence is anathema to any notion of liberty or freedom.

The first and foremost of natural rights of property is ownership of self and those things which one through their own labor creates that is of value. Thus, that which a person creates that has value belongs to them until they choose to trade it for something some other person has that they value in trade. The trade is and should be voluntary for both parties according to their own self-interests. If freedom of association exists, then both entities in a trade should be free to either enter into or NOT ENTER into a trade based on any criteria they feel is in their own self-interest.

And supporting the notion that the minute one creates/sells things of value in exchange for money is the same minute one loses any/all of their natural rights of existence is to support abject tyranny and enslavement to the collective.
So the answer to my questions is yes, you folks believe it's OK for businesses to discriminate at will.

Got it.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times
Quote:

What business do they have with them? If it involves marriage then they don't have to participate based on their beliefs on marriage.

Which religion does that?
Last time I checked, other cultures and beliefs do not recognize same-sex marriages. I didn't write rules.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Last time I checked, other cultures and beliefs do not recognize same-sex marriages. I didn't write rules.
So your answer is yes, it's OK to discriminate against gays because Jesus, or something.

And I have no idea what the above statement has to do with my post.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
When a business is open to the public, that means it is open to the ENTIRE public. If a business is not capable of serving the public they should open a private member only bakery.
Men cannot join Curves, the women-only gym. It discriminates against men.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Men cannot join Curves, the women-only gym. It discriminates against men.
Curves is a private MEMBERSHIP only club. The bakery is not a private MEMBERSHIP only club, if the bakery was a private club, then this would not be an issue.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times
Quote:
So your answer is yes, it's OK to discriminate against gays because Jesus, or something.

And I have no idea what the above statement has to do with my post.
Nope. One should not conform to something that doesn't align with their religious beliefs. Some consider weddings and any part of the wedding ceremony as religious, is it not?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Curves is a private MEMBERSHIP only club. The bakery is not a private MEMBERSHIP only club, if the bakery was a private club, then this would not be an issue.
So discrimination is fine when the business is membership based?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies