Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, I realize that righties idolize a writer whose ideal man and hero was a sociopath who kidnapped and butchered a little girl.
I'm not sure what book you read, but obviously not Atlas Shrugged. That's OK, very few of the most vocal critics of the book have either. Maybe they need to make a "graphic novel" version for those with poor reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not sure what book you read, but obviously not Atlas Shrugged. That's OK, very few of the most vocal critics of the book have either. Maybe they need to make a "graphic novel" version for those with poor reading comprehension.
A "graphic novel" version is about right for that so-called work.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged . One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
― John Rogers

Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's true. From the other side, I think people are safe to sleep in the bed without fear that the little book will baptise them in their sleep.
Actually, I was staying in a hotel with my school age sons. My sons found the bible in the nightstand drawer and looked through it. When they started laughing uncontrollably, I looked at what they were reading. They were reading Isaiah chapters 20 and 21 which had something to do with this:

God tells Isaiah to take off all his clothes and to wander about completely naked for three years as a "sign and a wonder." In this way he will be just like the Egyptian captives who will walk about naked "with their buttocks uncovered." 20:2-5
While walking around naked for three years, Isaiah's loins were filled with pain. 21:3

As a parent, I am not thrilled about books like this placed freely where children can find them.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually, I was staying in a hotel with my school age sons. My sons found the bible in the nightstand drawer and looked through it. When they started laughing uncontrollably, I looked at what they were reading. They were reading Isaiah chapters 20 and 21 which had something to do with this:

God tells Isaiah to take off all his clothes and to wander about completely naked for three years as a "sign and a wonder." In this way he will be just like the Egyptian captives who will walk about naked "with their buttocks uncovered." 20:2-5
While walking around naked for three years, Isaiah's loins were filled with pain. 21:3

As a parent, I am not thrilled about books like this placed freely where children can find them.
Totally believable.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
They don't belong in a public setting unless a private individual brought one. You Christian nuts would have a cow if a motel owned by Muslims put in Korans, but you will not just admit your biased and want to destroy all other religions but yours, and when you have all other religions destroyed you would start to attack the fringe groups who believe in the bible but not your brand. Many of you nuts would first start with the Mormons, and Jehovahs Witnesss [I hate both these nut bar religions] Then move on to the more traditional ones like the Baptist attacking the Catholics. Your just nuts and as crazy as the Islam nuts who want all other religions banned.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
They don't belong in a public setting unless a private individual brought one. You Christian nuts would have a cow if a motel owned by Muslims put in Korans, but you will not just admit your biased and want to destroy all other religions but yours, and when you have all other religions destroyed you would start to attack the fringe groups who believe in the bible but not your brand. Many of you nuts would first start with the Mormons, and Jehovahs Witnesss [I hate both these nut bar religions] Then move on to the more traditional ones like the Baptist attacking the Catholics. Your just nuts and as crazy as the Islam nuts who want all other religions banned.
We sure wouldn't want one belief to go attacking another would we?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What on earth are you babbling about? Of course I read Atlas Shrugged. My point is that I'm not going to take the ravings of a lunatic as gospel.
I see you know nothing about the author.

http://www.alternet.org/story/145819..._serial_killer

Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
And what's your religion, if you have one?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Really. We should just give them graphic sex ed coloring books and condoms like them smart progressive states.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Why do myth books need to be in colleges or hotels. I don't get it. If you like myths and fables, bring your own books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies