Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

They'll take you down.

Quote:
The U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York said Shrem helped someone he hadn't met in person, Robert Faiella, sell more than $1 million worth of bitcoins to Silk Road customers. Faiella, a 52-year-old Florida man, allegedly ran an underground Bitcoin exchange using the alias BTCKing.
Quote:
Shrem, 24, is a major player in the Bitcoin world. The BitInstant exchange, based in New York City,lets people buy bitcoins locally at more than 700,000 locations in the United States, as well as Brazil, Russia and elsewhere.
Bitcoin exchange CEO arrested for money laundering - Jan. 27, 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
You still can't launder drug money. I'm not sure the point of the article. If they had been arrested for simply operating an alternative exchange I would support them. I'm suppose to feel bad for them for laundering money?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You still can't launder drug money. I'm not sure the point of the article. If they had been arrested for simply operating an alternative exchange I would support them. I'm suppose to feel bad for them for laundering money?
Come on now. Money laundering is the excuse to make an example out of someone, which ultimately serves to stifle the industry. This is by design. Did you really think this type of monetary system outside of the reach of the U.S. Government would go unchallenged? Of course not. This is the opening salvo.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Come on now. Money laundering is the excuse to make an example out of someone, which ultimately serves to stifle the industry. Did you really think this type of monetary system outside of the reach of the U.S. Government would go unchallenged? Of course not. This is the opening salvo.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The article doesn't exactly deny they were laundering money.

It would appear that the opposite is true.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
The warning isn't "don't challenge the government with innovation" but rather "don't challenge the government by trying to get around paying them their tribute."

BitCoin and various other alternative/crypto currencies operate outside the realm of their tribute system, and this cannot be allowed. Whenever any money of any kind changes hands, The Beast must be fed. Challenges to that established order shall not be tolerated.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
OP, are you listening to Alex Jones again or something? Because your thread title, opinion, and the article do not match each other at all. I think you're chasing conspiracy theories where there are none, again

Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The article doesn't exactly deny they were laundering money.

It would appear that the opposite is true.
I wonder why the CEO of Paypal and other payment processing means, like western union and Moneygram, arent being charged then. We all know they have processed payments for things like marijuana etc..

Old 01-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wonder why the CEO of Paypal and other payment processing means, like western union and Moneygram, arent being charged then. We all know they have processed payments for things like marijuana etc..
I have no idea if they have or not. I can only comment on what is presented. That said, transferring money from a buyer and seller is separate from money laundering. Both would still be illegal.

I imagine people have wrote checks for pot before but I don't really expect Chase banks to get arrested.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Though Shrem knew where the money ultimately ended up, he never reported it to the Treasury Department, according to the U.S. attorney.

Although Shrem never knew Faiella by his actual name -- only by BTCKing -- the young executive helped the older man avoid trouble. For example, when Faiella's frequent and large cash deposits raised eyebrows at a cash processing company, Shrem advised Faiella on how to avoid sounding alarms.
He was laundering drug money, knew about it, and even helped the person trying to launder the money escape notice. If any bank, or service, knew it was laundering money and helped the person do it by advising them...they would be in jail to.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
It was a US money laundering scheme. Bitcoin was just the medium used to try and hide the illegal activity.

That being stated the US government is really only concerned about Bitcoin being used to hid illegal activity.

The feds ccould care less if people where using dog poop to buy things as long as Uncle Sugar is getting his cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies