Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Do you know how QM was used make that machine? Or did you just accept it an go with it?

After reading DC's post and the comments in here, it's almost as if QT is more of a coping mechanism than actual scientific explanations for the sticking point they've been at for a long time.
Yes without QM you wouldn't be able to use a transistor or know that 5 atoms is the limit of a silicon transistor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:45 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Yes without QM you wouldn't be able to use a transistor or know that 5 atoms is the limit of a silicon transistor.
That's false. QM just EXPLAINS how transistors work.

Check this out

http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.6727

Can we find an aspect of ANYTHING in everyday life that can be explained by QM?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Any practical application of quarks that you know of? 60 years now...surely has to be SOMETHING
yes, everything in the universe. since quarks are in fact the building blocks of every subatomic particle.

Quote:
Plasma as a 4th state of matter is not measurable with any significant degree of resolution and in contrast to the other three states of matter it's a total anomaly..

But hey, it's lends itself to a bunch of the cool kids formulas....
really? so then every star in the universe is a total anomaly. good to know. oh and i guess that every experimental power plant that uses plasma to help generate electricity is also a total anomaly.

Plasma Plants Vaporize Trash While Generating Energy | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Electricity to be Generated From Garbage Landfills Using Plasma - The Green Optimistic

or how about a practical application for plasma, as a cutting torch;

How to Use a Miller Plasma Cutter | eHow

Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Check this out

[1307.6727] Quantum Tunneling of Stock Price in Range Bound Market Conditions

What does your link have to do with transistors. I am not talking about quantum computers.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Contributions of Physics to the Information Age

Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
But we know where the EXACT center of all that is...
There is no center.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:

Check this out

[1307.6727] Quantum Tunneling of Stock Price in Range Bound Market Conditions

Although quantum mechanics was created to describe an abstract atomic world far removed from daily experience, its impact on our daily lives could hardly be greater. The spectacular advances in chemistry, biology, and medicine—and in essentially every other science—could not have occurred without the tools that quantum mechanics made possible. Without quantum mechanics there would be no global economy to speak of, because the electronics revolution that brought us the computer age is a child of quantum mechanics. So is the photonics revolution that brought us the Information Age. The creation of quantum physics has transformed our world, bringing with it all the benefits—and the risks—of a scientific revolution.

http://depa.fquim.unam.mx/amyd/archi...tica_11313.pdf

Is that enough for you?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Although quantum mechanics was created to describe an abstract atomic world far removed from daily experience, its impact on our daily lives could hardly be greater. The spectacular advances in chemistry, biology, and medicine—and in essentially every other science—could not have occurred without the tools that quantum mechanics made possible. Without quantum mechanics there would be no global economy to speak of, because the electronics revolution that brought us the computer age is a child of quantum mechanics. So is the photonics revolution that brought us the Information Age. The creation of quantum physics has transformed our world, bringing with it all the benefits—and the risks—of a scientific revolution.

http://depa.fquim.unam.mx/amyd/archi...tica_11313.pdf

Is that enough for you?
That's pretty ambiguous wouldn't you say? Did you feel like that was a great explanation?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
That's pretty ambiguous wouldn't you say? Did you feel like that was a great explanation?
Are you serious? I just ask because you're completely embarrassing yourself in front of 6 billion people live on the Internet and it's very possible that you're making some of them dumber with every word you type.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Are you serious? I just ask because you're completely embarrassing yourself in front of 6 billion people live on the Internet and it's very possible that you're making some of them dumber with every word you type.

In light of the bolded, let me just point out that you're extremely corny.

But anyway, I got a ton of questions....all of which I am extremely ignorant about. I would ask in the thread Glitch referenced...but, I want to see if all the assured in this very thread can prove that what they know is just an understanding and not a conviction. Surely, you are up to task..I mean you just winged a HEAVY write up. So you MUST have a great grasp.

Let's start off slow.

I was hoping you could point out how Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein differ and when would the particles follow these laws? In which applications? Can you show it mathematically?

How about Dirac's field theory?? If there is a magnetic field...how do these lines exist? If you can prove they exist, what do they do? Is there an electrical field as well? And if so, does it align with the magnetic field?

Does this tie in to plasma at all?

Don't worry about laymans terms...you can drop the math. Then you can explain that in laymans terms, if possible. I won't understand an ounce of it. But I am sure you will.

If I can be Frank, or Curt, or both at the same time. (We're on the internet, so I am both..until you read this of course) I am a lowly graduate. I did some heavy math courses, for my capacity at least. Partial differential equations, I took an Introduction to Abstract Alg...which admittedly broke me...so I dropped. I surely didn't apply myself, but I digress. I came to the conclusion that I would have to dedicate my entire life to this s***. Something I, in theory, couldn't and wouldn't do. If you took any college level maths, you would know that I was nowhere near venturing into theoretical physics... In fact, I never met anybody who had. On top of that, I hardly retained anything. But I did more than "get by".

I have a question for you, did you take any advanced physics? Post grad perhaps? Do you know more people like me? Or more people like Stephen Hawking? Because I am getting the vibe that I am in some seriously elite company here and out of my league.

And we haven't even seen a single lick of math!

Here's the thing...I did take Geom.III (which covered the non-Euclidean stuff ) and I did enjoy that. So I am well aware of how folks can make up rules out of thin air. And people will accept them as rules as long as you can teach them and they are rigid. So, that being said...I have no dog in the fight with the actual fields. That's cool.

I was just hoping you would point me to something and show me how stupid I am rather then just "telling me".

Nice story you linked though. I don't know what you were getting at.

Last edited by ChestRockwell; 01-30-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies