Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 PM

804 posts, read 618,287 times

Advertisements

Couldn't said it better myself.... With the evonomy where it s right now, all the decent well-paying jobs in manufacturing gone with the wind, more and more people finds themselves working for a minimum wage and no benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..the min wage workers have nowhere to go now.
We OFFSHORED most of the rungs on the career ladder.

The only recourse the FedGov has now is to raise min wage.
Your low skill min wage worker will never have a white collar job.
Where does he go after McD's ?

And to think..the FedGov was the very one that created this problem decades ago.

They promised you "cheaper goods". They said everyone would "move up" and away from menial labor.
Didn't quite turn out that way did it ?

Their only recourse is to get Congress to legislate a higher min wage and push the financial burden on companies.

I don't think it's going to work out as they envision. It never does, does it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Its a BS stunt. That is for new contracts. Existing contracts usually get extended and I am willing to bet, there is no one in the defense industry making minimum wage.
Sorry, but no. Contracts get renewed yearly. Is it a stunt? Definitely. Why? Those of us who are contractors will have to bid higher in order to cover the increase in payroll of those we insource. And like the sequester, it affected future contracts that are in the bidding process or will be. So now I'm going to have 18 employees who are part of a insource contract get a dime more per hour upon renewal. I just can't wait for my accountant to tell me the addendum amount to request in order for the next set of renewal contracts. It's stuff like this that make me bid for foreign contracts rather than American contracts. There are low end jobs that exist just for the sake of them existing. The yearly cost of this particular contract costs more than the piece of technology that if purchased would save the gov't some hefty dollars within the first year of implementation.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It takes effect for any NEW contracts signed in 2015 and later.
And you can bet the contracts will have this increase built in so that no profits are lost.

Now why this article cites that over 500,000 contract workers make $12 or less is beyond me.
Why not tell us how many make less than $10 instead ?

Obama is boosting the minimum wage for federal contractors. Here’s how.
The $10.10 thing is applicable to only those employees working under a government contract.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Has anybody here heard of the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act that many Federal contractors have to abide by?
I used to work under the provisions of that act, over 20 years ago. At that time, I was making $13 per hour when on contract.
I strongly recommend that all those blathering about increasing the Minimum Wage for workers under future Federal Contracts do a google search for the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act. You will find that VERY FEW workers on Federal Contracts are making minimum wage!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Has anybody here heard of the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act that many Federal contractors have to abide by?
I used to work under the provisions of that act, over 20 years ago. At that time, I was making $13 per hour when on contract.
I strongly recommend that all those blathering about increasing the Minimum Wage for workers under future Federal Contracts do a google search for the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act. You will find that VERY FEW workers on Federal Contracts are making minimum wage!
Yup I knew that.
What I didn't know though is that paid benefits are also mandated by the Act.

The online tool is available to the public.

I picked Mississippi a poor state to begin with.
Then I selected a government contract for cafeteria workers (who are categorized as "fast food workers")

Min hourly wage: $8.45 ($9.30 if you are a shift leader)
Mandated paid benefits:
$3.81/hour extra for health and welfare
2 week paid vacation after 1 year of service.
10 paid holidays a year
Contractor must pay for uniforms and cleaning of uniforms

These are not the same "min wage" workers you find in your typical McD's now eh ?

Here's the website if you want to put in your own state and county:

Wage Determinations Online

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

804 posts, read 618,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Sorry, but no. Contracts get renewed yearly. Is it a stunt? Definitely. Why? Those of us who are contractors will have to bid higher in order to cover the increase in payroll of those we insource. And like the sequester, it affected future contracts that are in the bidding process or will be. So now I'm going to have 18 employees who are part of a insource contract get a dime more per hour upon renewal. I just can't wait for my accountant to tell me the addendum amount to request in order for the next set of renewal contracts. It's stuff like this that make me bid for foreign contracts rather than American contracts. There are low end jobs that exist just for the sake of them existing. The yearly cost of this particular contract costs more than the piece of technology that if purchased would save the gov't some hefty dollars within the first year of implementation.
You have a federal contract and you pay your employees a minimum wage???

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Takes effect in 2015;most make over 10 dollars now and no existing contracts count .I think perhaps cost to government will just be increased; fewer workers used and more automation.No different than what is happening now in cut to cost.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
You have a federal contract and you pay your employees a minimum wage???
The poster said "a dime more" which means they currently earn $10.00 per hour.
Obama's mandate is for $10.10.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
what thats going do it drive up the price of government projects and since these are paid for with tax dollar, we are getting less than we paid for, so really he putting us farther in debt just to buy votes

Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
While placing a greater tax burden on those who aren't contractors. Great argument champ.
That’s funny; someone is worried about a large multi-million dollar company’s tax burden. Maybe we can have a benefit bake sale for the poor little fellows. I suppose the other guys who arent getting Tay Payers money will have to keep hiring undocumented labor. Around here construction jobs pays about $8.00-9.00. Trade labor starts at over $17.00 if you work in manurfacturing. Government contractors have had a long enough free ride. This will level the playing field, I've seen one company (large GOP contributor) drive every one out of the bidding process because they can't be under bid due to what they pay.
..... No American in trade work is buying the the Doom and Gloom politics from the right. Chalk up another segment of the population who now knows the GOP is all talk and no walk over jobs.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-29-2014 at 04:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies