Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The 2 major parties have divided this nation more than anyone else. Their focus is to stay in power and at any cost. Both parties have had more than enough opportunities to fix the many problems we face. They instead have exasperated the problems by selling we the people out in favor of special interest groups and foreign competitors.
Look no further than NAFTA, more recently look at Immigration reform. A huge bi-partisan bill that does very little to address what is wrong with our immigration system. It does pander to one voter group and is laced with massive pork spending that also will do very little to address the problems. How will this bill help our nation? It won't.
Look at the budget they just passed. No meaningful cuts.
2 gov. shut downs both of which could have been avoided with a little compromise from both sides. Neither side would budge.
The divide is caused by the 2 parties. They want the nation divided.
"Their focus is to stay in power and at any cost." On this I agree.

" Both parties have had more than enough opportunities to fix the many problems we face." On this I disagree. Very few times in history have we had 1 party have complete control.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Does that mean we don't have to hear the idiot phrase "the Tea Party" anymore? Thanks IRS for doing something the Republicans were too weak to do.
"Does that mean we don't have to hear the idiot phrase "the Tea Party" anymore? "

Thank you for confirming what the OP is talking about.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I like the sentiment of this thread. I agree with it.

The low water mark for me has been the behavior of congress during this massive recession. Anything that screws over Obama is just great, even if millions of people are affected. That is a very cynical place to be. And the folks doing it were calling themselves patriots.

A patriot is someone who compromises for the betterment of the country.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM

87 posts, read 115,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I like the sentiment of this thread. I agree with it.

The low water mark for me has been the behavior of congress during this massive recession. Anything that screws over Obama is just great, even if millions of people are affected. That is a very cynical place to be. And the folks doing it were calling themselves patriots.

A patriot is someone who compromises for the betterment of the country.
As the congressman who threatened the reporter at the sotu ?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM

13,934 posts, read 5,615,884 times
We cannot possibly be "Americans" first because you can't get a simple majority of this country to even agree on what that means past "be official citizen."

Without meaning any insult, folks like urbanlife78 and I couldn't be farther away in what we think it is to "be American" without inventing new dimensions in space, at least where collectivism and individualism are concerned. jmqueen and I have wildly opposing views on the freedom of association, and I doubt either us could budge the other one iota, no matter how long either of us blather at each other. That doesn't make any of us right or wrong, but it sure as hell makes us intractably different.

Intractable difference is our thing. It's American to the core. Griping about everyone else, feeling superior, etc etc...that's as American as apple pie and baseball. Despite the collectivist mantra, America is still a very individualistic culture. yes, the progressives are trying to beat/tax/regulate that out of everyone, but American individualism is very resistant to just going away.

These Internet political forums are a fine microcosm of how the country really is, and that's a lot of people who just straight up don't like each other and are more than happy to express that...OFTEN. Welcome to America.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 PM

20,362 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
We cannot possibly be "Americans" first because you can't get a simple majority of this country to even agree on what that means past "be official citizen."

Without meaning any insult, folks like urbanlife78 and I couldn't be farther away in what we think it is to "be American" without inventing new dimensions in space, at least where collectivism and individualism are concerned. jmqueen and I have wildly opposing views on the freedom of association, and I doubt either us could budge the other one iota, no matter how long either of us blather at each other. That doesn't make any of us right or wrong, but it sure as hell makes us intractably different.

Intractable difference is our thing. It's American to the core. Griping about everyone else, feeling superior, etc etc...that's as American as apple pie and baseball. Despite the collectivist mantra, America is still a very individualistic culture. yes, the progressives are trying to beat/tax/regulate that out of everyone, but American individualism is very resistant to just going away.

These Internet political forums are a fine microcosm of how the country really is, and that's a lot of people who just straight up don't like each other and are more than happy to express that...OFTEN. Welcome to America.
Yeah, and it makes me sad a little. Because I'm all about the right to disagree and the medley of intractable opinions. It's this whole massive ego thing where a person's opinion is SO SACRED that anyone who disagrees isn't merely disrespected, they are an enemy....that's just awful to me.

Maybe it's just because I'm female. I don't get the whole competitive, "beat the opposition in the head until they surrender or die" mentality. At all. I have no urge to destroy that which offends me. I like compromise. I believe in it. I know how to agree to disagree. Differing opinion doesn't make me feel threatened or angry.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

It is more like welcome to the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies