Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Then your grievance is with the company, as they are the one collecting the data in the first place. You seem to have glossed over this fact. Is there something about you that companies have the right to know but governments do not, both do, or neither? The premise is simple, you shouldn't share things you wouldn't want others to know. This is openly available information that anybody with the time and desire can find out. The government being expedient about it doesn't mean it is something they couldn't find out in the first place. If they could find out your sexual orientation through an app, they could do it through openly available information without much additional work. Is it spying if you have made the information publicly available?
Keep in mind, not everyone is aware that this data is being extracted from them. Smart/Android phones and tablets are the worst.

Something to think about here, though. The NSA and friends are THE number one drivers of zero day exploits and other similar products and services. They are by far the largest driver of that entire industry. So instead of notifying the public of such things, they are instead paying top dollar for it and using it to extract data for their own purposes. Is that really something you think is ok?

These kind of things have been reported for sometime now. Were not even addressing the reported MiM usage of certs, etc... either.
FBI Alleged To Have Backdoored OpenBSD's IPSEC Stack

Side-Channel Leaks in Web Applications - Liquidmatrix ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why would Best Buy know my sexual orientation, where I traveled this past weekend, the contacts in my phone, etc?

Point me to the provisions of the law that allow them to collect this information surreptitiously from my phone as the NSA is doing.

This is a challenge for you to back up your words....not rhetoric. Show me.
What does Best Buy have to do with anything? We are talking about data from your phone apps.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Keep in mind, not everyone is aware that this data is being extracted from them. Smart/Android phones and tablets are the worst.

Something to think about here, though. The NSA and friends are THE number one drivers of zero day exploits and other similar products and services. They are by far the largest driver of that entire industry. So instead of notifying the public of such things, they are instead paying top dollar for it and using it to extract data for their own purposes. Is that really something you think is ok?

These kind of things have been reported for sometime now. Were not even addressing the reported MiM usage of certs, etc... either.
FBI Alleged To Have Backdoored OpenBSD's IPSEC Stack

Side-Channel Leaks in Web Applications - Liquidmatrix ...
Exactly. I'm just as interested as you are in finding out why a substantial portion of the liberal left are so apathetic about government overreach.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
What does Best Buy have to do with anything? We are talking about data from your phone apps.
Any company with an app. Best Buy is just an example.

Now that we have that cleared up....tell me under what legal provision a Best Buy app is allowed to track and collect my travel whereabouts, the contact list on my phone, my sexual orientation, pictures of me, and all of the other data surreptitiously collected by the NSA? Afterall, it is you who has asserted that companies collect this data so there should be no problem with the NSA collecting it either.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind, not everyone is aware that this data is being extracted from them.
That is their fault. A responsible person should know what permissions an app needs to operate, they are right there when you purchase. Especially in today's world, anybody who doesn't realize that is willfully ignorant IMO.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I could not care less.
My sentiments exactly.
WHY??
Very simple. My phone HAS NO "APPS".
It does not have text capability.
It does not connect to the internet.
I don't even use voice-mail!
I don't use the camera feature.
It makes (occasionally) and receives (frequently) phone calls.
That is all it does.
I will never have a "smart phone".

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Any company with an app. Best Buy is just an example.

Now that we have that cleared up....tell me under what legal provision a Best Buy app is allowed to track and collect my travel whereabouts, the contact list on my phone, my sexual orientation, pictures of me, and all of the other data surreptitiously collected by the NSA? Afterall, it is you who has asserted that companies collect this data so there should be no problem with the NSA collecting it either.
Actually, no, I said that companies do collect it, not that it was acceptable. And I don't give a **** what the law says or doesn't say, I'm just using common sense that would indicate a GPS app knows what your location is and Facebook contains pictures of you. Are you contending that companies don't gather information?

'Gaming' the system: NSA sucking data from apps like 'Angry Birds' | Fox News
Quote:
The latest revelation is that the NSA has been spying on smartphone apps, especially particularly popular and invasive apps like Angry Birds. Such time-killers typically collect a slew of personal information, including where you are, what Web sites you've recently visited, and the names of your friends. Recently leaked documents from former NSA contract worker Edward Snowden to The New York Times and The Guardian show that the NSA has a particular proclivity to tap into popular apps that collect information and share it with third parties -- like advertising firms.
Quote:
For its part, the tech companies have been fast and furious with the hand wringing, complaining about the government doing what the tech companies themselves do on a daily basis.
Your liberal/conservative dichotomy is also foolish. Lots of liberals were involved in Restore the Fourth (including Occupy Wall Street ) and had a lot of issues with the PATRIOT Act. Most conservatives are new to the party in the Obama era. This is where you get a weird mix of Rand Paul Republicans and the far left (like Richard Blumenthal and Mark Udall, two of the most liberal senators) and a bipartisan bill like this. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/2...rb-nsa-spying/

Last edited by Grsz11; 01-28-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That is their fault. A responsible person should know what permissions an app needs to operate, they are right there when you purchase. Especially in today's world, anybody who doesn't realize that is willfully ignorant IMO.
Actually this isn't entirely true. There is often information, permissions, addons etc... that are not accurately presented. One would not see them unless one was able to do some digging and observing. However, that doesn't effect the other part of the equation I mentioned.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Actually this isn't entirely true. There is often information, permissions, addons etc... that are not accurately presented. One would not see them unless one was able to do some digging and observing. However, that doesn't effect the other part of the equation I mentioned.
That's very true, but anybody who downloads an app has to be aware that the creator is gathering some kind of information.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
That's very true, but anybody who downloads an app has to be aware that the creator is gathering some kind of information.
Well then you have things like this. Often these programs may come pre-installed.
Carrier IQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies