Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No one is insulting you.

So why are you at college if you don't think it teaches you how to think? Perhaps you're having that experience because you're going to a crappy college? Let's be honest, there's a handful of good colleges (top 25-50). And there's a bunch that are a waste of time. That's the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Again, the statistics still make having a college degree worth it. Higher lifelong income and only $26k debt on average. That's it.

Not to mention that you're educated afterwards.
You contradict yourself here.

It is true that college graduates have much higher lifetime income. It's also true that they have much lower unemployment rates. As far as debt, that varies for each college grad based on many factors. I agree, however, that for most graduates some debt is worth it.

However, you suggest that only 25-50 schools are worth attending. That is a fraction of the universities in the country, not to mention that the schools you're probably thinking of typically have smaller-than-average student bodies. Graduates of those schools consist of nowhere close to a large enough percentage of all college grads to swing the stats on income, unemployment, etc. enough to make your first point valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
I am a conservative and am, frankly, tired of the anti-intellectualism streak in the Republican Party. We need an educated populace. When you look at other countries, particularly some in Asia, we are absolutely getting crushed in so many educational measures.

Colleges are not, by and large, "liberal indoctrination centers." I had plenty of conservative professors in college. I had some liberal professors as well. I can recall only one who, in grading, showed favoritism towards students who shared his/her views. Now, to be fair, I'll admit my major was a relatively "conservative" one. I attended two large public universities in a conservative state. At one, students were generally more liberal; at the other, more conservative.

I DO wholeheartedly agree that not everyone should attend college. I think we need more trade/vocational schools and to steer more kids in that direction. I also, however, feel there needs to be some restructuring of the curriculum for many/most degrees to teach more practical skills and to promote more learning, rather than mere memorization and regurgitation.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
SNAP in most states (or all) cuts out at $400 / week before taxes. But you are on the money when you say we need to pay people more money to get them off welfare rolls.
I'm not sure where you got the $400 per week number but the max SNAP benefit per person even in generous California is $160 per person per month. Most only get ~$112 per month and that's for a single mom with one kid; that's the ACTUAL monthly average.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM

804 posts, read 618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm not sure where you got the $400 per week number but the max SNAP benefit per person even in generous California is $160 per person per month. Most only get ~$112 per month and that's for a single mom with one kid; that's the ACTUAL monthly average.

I didnt mean the actual amount of the benefit but maximum qualifying income which in most states is $400 / week, if you make more you won't qualify. It's an important number because it means that if you make $10.00 per hour and below you still qualify for the benefit, assuming you work 40 hours a week, which by the way is very seldom the case with low wage employees. That's why keeping the minimum wage below $11 is a nonsense because then the tax payer has to pick up the tab for the difference, as those employed for $10 / hr and below still qualify for food stamps.

The government, or rather all taxpayers, are indirectly subsidizing all those employers that are paying people below $10/hr, do you understand that?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM

804 posts, read 618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am a conservative and am, frankly, tired of the anti-intellectualism streak in the Republican Party. n.
It's all an empty rhetoric: anti-intellectual streak in GOP while all GOP senators are college grads

American politics, the absurdity of this outdated two party system, is approaching surreal levels with the speed of light....

Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am a conservative and am, frankly, tired of the anti-intellectualism streak in the Republican Party. We need an educated populace. When you look at other countries, particularly some in Asia, we are absolutely getting crushed in so many educational measures.

Colleges are not, by and large, "liberal indoctrination centers." I had plenty of conservative professors in college. I had some liberal professors as well. I can recall only one who, in grading, showed favoritism towards students who shared his/her views. Now, to be fair, I'll admit my major was a relatively "conservative" one. I attended two large public universities in a conservative state. At one, students were generally more liberal; at the other, more conservative.

I DO wholeheartedly agree that not everyone should attend college. I think we need more trade/vocational schools and to steer more kids in that direction. I also, however, feel there needs to be some restructuring of the curriculum for many/most degrees to teach more practical skills and to promote more learning, rather than mere memorization and regurgitation.
Good Lord..we're getting crushed in K-12 and sinking lower every time the PISA test is administered.
We're #36 in Math.

Sending them off to college on borrowed money won't make an educated society.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
I didnt mean the actual amount of the benefit but maximum qualifying income which in most states is $400 / week, if you make more you won't qualify. It's an important number because it means that if you make $10.00 per hour and below you still qualify for the benefit, assuming you work 40 hours a week, which by the way is very seldom the case with low wage employees. That's why keeping the minimum wage below $11 is a nonsense because then the tax payer has to pick up the tab for the difference, as those employed for $10 / hr and below still qualify for food stamps.

The government, or rather all taxpayers, are indirectly subsidizing all those employers that are paying people below $10/hr, do you understand that?
Say they get their $15/hour and she works 29 hours.
She now makes $435 a week..cut off of SNAP because she makes $35 more.
She just lost $116 a week (took the other poster's average) post tax to make $35 more a week pre-tax.
She also fell out of medicaid (if state didn't expand) because they have the same income cap.
She also loses free lunch in school for the kid.

So does that $35 pre tax more a week she makes now cover the lost SNAP, medicaid and free lunch ?
No, no it doesn't, not by a long shot.

See the disincentive there ?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Building trades are the next set of jobs that will be low wage minimum wage work. Meat cutters saw the same thing happen to them years ago. Construction technology, materials, and methods have changed so much in the last 25 years soon anybody will be able to do trade work with little or no training. Unfortunately the people who have the most experience in new construction tech are undocumented laborers who have been doing the work for the last 25 years. It’s been quite a while since I saw a guy working with cooper pipe to do plumbing.

My heating unit has a code that blinks and tells me what’s wrong with it. I can go to the big box hard ware store and some young guy in the heating supply department will tell what I need and how to install it. That’s probably why a relative of mine can’t find work as a repair man. You are much better off getting a college degree in construction tech so you can get a job running a supply store. The guy that does all my electrical and putting in gas appliances dropped out of school before high school. He's a sharp guy but those skills are not worth what they were in the 70's.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Building trades are the next set of jobs that will be low wage minimum wage work. Meat cutters saw the same thing happen to them years ago. Construction technology, materials , and methods have changed so much in the last 25 years soon anybody will be able to do trade work with little or no training. Unfortunately the people who have the most experience in new construction tech are undocumented laborers who have been doing the work for the last 25 years. Its been quite a while since I saw a guy working with cooper pipe to do plumbing.

My heating unit has a code that blinks and tells me whats wrong with it. I can go to the big box hard ware store and some young guy in the heating supply department will tell what I need and how to install it. Thats probally why a relative of mine cant find work as a repair man. You are much better off getting a college degree in constuction tech so you can get a job running a supply store.The guy that does all my electrical and putting in gas appliances droped out of school before high school. He's a sharp guy but those skills are not worth what they were in the 70's
Because you end up paying $500 to get a $25 part installed.
It's absolutely crazy.

I've gone on the net about a problem I was having with my dryer (electronics-cheap crap plastic part).
A simple youtube showed me what to do and my problem is all gone for a mere $5.00 HD part.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Why does Obama think we need more overeducated, underskilled adults?
Universities have become the wolfpack that feeds off the federal buffalo herd. They sit up and beg for grant money and regurgitate the political leanings of their benefactors.

That and the teachers unions are a main financial pillar of the Dems.

Euro has for instance an edu system that produces hreds of PhDs who have no jobs in the thier country of end up working at jobs beneath their level of edu. So edu is part of the puzzle but obama has no clue as to its proper place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies