Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Who else voted for Obama in 2008 but has since realized the mistake?

Be fair.

You should also ask the corollary question:

Who else voted for Obama in 2008 and has NOT since realized the mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I realize the debt and the endless war
he promised change not this
bush was bad
this is worse

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I voted for Obama and in spite all problems I still think it was a better choice than Romney.
Romney was absolutely hollow, with nothing to offer but rhetoric to please republicans.
I have to admit Obama is not a very good manger and Romney is probably better, but that is not what the presidency is about.
Actually that is what the presidency is about IMHO. Is Romney boring? Yup. Can Romney relate to the average American? Heck no. Is Romney an extremely successful and talented executive that is committed to fixing our country's problems? Yes.

It's a shame our country selects its leaders based on how cool they are it will be our undoing. I don't really want the POTUS yucking it up the Jay Leno or Letterman. There are other people for that.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM

924 posts, read 667,169 times
I realize more than most the atrocious presidency Obama has bestowed upon America.

That said, I'd still vote for him over McCain or Romney.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
I realize more than most the atrocious presidency Obama has bestowed upon America.

That said, I'd still vote for him over McCain or Romney.
Why?

Surely you have some reason for making that decision . . . ????

Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
You can now afford insurance but now I can't. I was happy paying for affordable insurance pre-obamacare.
I'm generally opposed to Obamacare. I'm also opposed to the Republican opposition to Obamacare, because it relied heavily on a "football team" mentality of trying to win and not on what is actually good for Americans. They needed to make arguments from evidence of how the previous system was preferable, and with the think tanks working for them, they certainly could have done so.

Quote:
I'm republican and have many friends who are gay. I also worked with many blacks and they busted their asses the same as I. One guy who I speak very fondly of even helped save my job. We all want the same thing so don't give me no BS. I love how the left tells you how I feel about things and people, nothing but a bunch of propaganda bull crap.
Of course, many Republicans are not homophobic, racist, or xenophobic. But in general, Democrats are a mish-mash of interests from everywhere, whereas Republicans are a fairly unified group. Therefore, while anti-Christians and anti-white racists tend to be Democrats, they're dwarfed by Christians and white people in their own party. I do think this is one area where there is somewhat of an age gap, and things are improving from where they used to be. But it's not up to par at all yet. Glad to know that you don't fit in that category.

Quote:
Poor people made their choices. It was their own choices that threw themselves under the bus. Not everyone worked and I would think you would be more mad at the people who abused welfare as we are. Now it is the people who did work and fell on hard times that I feel bad for. I have family members in the same position. Instead of being able to help them I pay higher taxes so the government taketh away.
Poor people didn't completely make the choice to be poor, although I don't think it's completely outside of their responsibility, either. But based on comments from this board, there isn't a lot of sympathy for people in difficult circumstances. I don't think it's related to taxes either.

Quote:
The left will not hear of any opposition to Obama period. He is their messiah after all.
A few might not, but they're in the minority. Many people who voted for Obama have specifically expressed their displeasure for him and why they are an independent.

Quote:
Michigan? lol, you don't stand a chance of seeing past all the smoke.
Michigan is a great state. You're not getting our water, BWAHAHA!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM

924 posts, read 667,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why?

Surely you have some reason for making that decision . . . ????

Because with McCain we would probably have invaded Iran, and there would have been no (albeit small) steps taken in reigning in Wall St (Dodd Frank) or moving toward a single player healthcare system (The ACAaPPA). It would also mean no gains in rights for gays, no steps toward immigration reform, or gun restrictions.

Don't even get me started on Romney.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Because with McCain we would probably have invaded Iran, and there would have been no (albeit small) steps taken in reigning in Wall St (Dodd Frank) or moving toward a single player healthcare system (The ACAaPPA). It would also mean no gains in rights for gays, no steps toward immigration reform, or gun restrictions.

Thank you for the honest answer!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
His nationalized healthcare is a step in the right direction but still not good enough. I give him a D+, though the anarchist crowd in Congress who decided their job would not be to govern but rather to make Obama's life hard all deserve Fs.
"Anarchist crowd?" Who in Congress doesn't think government is needed?

Where did you study American government? Do you not understand that it is functioning exactly as it was designed to function? Congress was not intended to be a rubber stamp for an imperial presidency. The reason we have separation of powers, and a bicameral legislature is to prevent tyranny of the majority.
“If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.” — James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me? Republicans don't call John McCain "Juan McAmnesty" for nothing. He's always been for "comprehensive immigration" (amnesty). I think you're right about invading Iran though (shudder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies