Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear5599 View Post
I was in my mid 20's and got caught up in the Bush hate. But also the propaganda about voting for Obama being some kind of message to the rest of the world that we had learned our lesson. Another layer of it was cultural supremacy. I was dooped by the National Media into thinking the Republican party was racist and electing Obama would somehow reflect on the USA being some kind of forward thinking society. Lastly I fell for his never ending promises.

6 years later, I am ashamed
I voted for Obama in '08. I really was trying to vote for McCain but his immigration stance and his economic ignorance was a barrier. Frankly in hindsight I don't really regret or blame anyone for voting for Obama in '08. The media was in the tank for him and McCain wasn't all that impressive. His own state party has declared him a liberal.

Now folks that voted for Obama in '12 are the people who should feel a shamed IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,655,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I voted for Obama in '08. I really was trying to vote for McCain but his immigration stance and his economic ignorance was a barrier. Frankly in hindsight I don't really regret or blame anyone for voting for Obama in '08. The media was in the tank for him and McCain wasn't all that impressive. His own state party has declared him a liberal.

Now folks that voted for Obama in '12 are the people who should feel a shamed IMHO.
Well, yeah....except that there was no palatable alternative but to stay home, which is what I did.

It was the financial meltdown created by the moral bankruptcy of financial manipulators that gave Obama a greased path to the Presidency in 2008. The last thing Americans wanted is another Gordon Gekko in 2012.

It is the sociopathic excess of Wall Street and Big Business generally over the last 30 years that has directly fueled the political viability of the fringe left. And it has only taken that fringe left about 20 years to destroy that remaining portion of America that Big Business hadn't already sent overseas.

So today we find ourselves under attack on two fronts and yet millions still sit silently watching it all rapidly slip away.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 AM

29,976 posts, read 18,541,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Perhaps there is hope. I don't think anyone is going to get caught up in rock star groupie type hysteria over a Presidential candidate for a long time. People across the political spectrum are more sour and skeptical now which I think is healthy. I remember seeing young people literally cry in joy when Obama won in 2008. I can't imagine seeing that reaction again in this lifetime. Young people will go back to being more apathetic about politics...which is better than worshipping a politician as a God like figure.

Au contraire-

What until 2016. The very same people who voted for Obama (and now realize their mistake) will vote for Hillary, who will implement the very same liberal policies and enjoy "rock star" status.

Do you really think that ANYONE who voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012 will actually support a republican candidate, regardless of who they are?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM

28,875 posts, read 30,132,067 times
I voted for him the first time, b/c I was so hungry for change and believed in him

I did not vote for him in his second term.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Au contraire-

What until 2016. The very same people who voted for Obama (and now realize their mistake) will vote for Hillary, who will implement the very same liberal policies and enjoy "rock star" status.

Do you really think that ANYONE who voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012 will actually support a republican candidate, regardless of who they are?
I certainly hope not, but that is what they (meaning all of them who control politics, are hoping for) and they may be right, Americans are stupid, and there will be women who vote for Hillary simply b/c she is a woman, and for no other reason, which proves my point...

Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
EdwardA I voted for Obama in '08. I really was trying to vote for McCain but his immigration stance and his economic ignorance was a barrier. Frankly in hindsight I don't really regret or blame anyone for voting for Obama in '08. The media was in the tank for him and McCain wasn't all that impressive. His own state party has declared him a liberal.

I feel the same way

and those are the people who fear saying they were wrong and continue to defend a corrupt party, and let me say, the Republicans were no better, I was so tired of Bush...and McCain, scared me, so did Sarah, I don't dislike her, but she was in no way a good candidate to pick for VP

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,199,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Au contraire-

I think folks who voted for Obama in 2008 and then realized how shallow his experience actually was and how unprepared he was for the office --- and then didn't vote for him in 2012 are ready to consider ANY candidate with substance (of any party).

But the folks who voted for him in both 2008 and 2012 are either dyed in the wool DEMs who vote straight ticket no matter who is on that ticket . . . or they are angry black people who feel any criticism of Obama is racist and they don't like seeing a successful black man dissed, even if they do recognize that the man has been a very weak and ineffective leader. Some of them are "one issue" voters, and feel Obama is their man b/c of such issues as gay marriage, which is really a state issue, but oh well - let's not confuse people with facts.

I think that for most people who voted for Obama in 2012, it wouldn't matter who the GOP candidate is . . . they simply are not going to vote GOP. Either they won't vote or they will vote party line DEM all the way.

I think it is time for a candidate that is centrist on fiscal issues and a little more to the left on social issues than Romney. I think a candidate who is interested in really balancing the budget, creating posperity and encouraging a "live and let live" attitude towards such things as marriage and medical marijuana could win.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think folks who voted for Obama in 2008 and then realized how shallow his experience actually was and how unprepared he was for the office --- and then didn't vote for him in 2012 are ready to consider ANY candidate with substance (of any party).

But the folks who voted for him in both 2008 and 2012 are either dyed in the wool DEMs who vote straight ticket no matter who is on that ticket . . . or they are angry black people who feel any criticism of Obama is racist and they don't like seeing a successful black man dissed, even if they do recognize that the man has been a very weak and ineffective leader. Some of them are "one issue" voters, and feel Obama is their man b/c of such issues as gay marriage, which is really a state issue, but oh well - let's not confuse people with facts.

I think that for most people who voted for Obama in 2012, it wouldn't matter who the GOP candidate is . . . they simply are not going to vote GOP. Either they won't vote or they will vote party line DEM all the way.

I think it is time for a candidate that is centrist on fiscal issues and a little more to the left on social issues than Romney. I think a candidate who is interested in really balancing the budget, creating posperity and encouraging a "live and let live" attitude towards such things as marriage and medical marijuana could win.
yeah well, that also goes for republicans to....and let me tell you, if someone is running that won't play ball by the rules, they sabatoge him/her....when American's start waking up to that fact, maybe they will start understanding reality. It really ticks me off when people, like my sister tells me, that if I don't vote, that throws away my vote, well, I'm sick to death of voting for candidates that are inexperience, and only play but the rules of the rich! I'm sick to death of voting for candidates that don't give a darn about Americans, and lie, lie, lie to get in office, and I'm highly embarrassed by the Americans who will only vote for a candidate simply b/c they are republican, or democrate, or who make statements, that b/c the candidate is black, or a woman, I'm going to vote for her/him.

Americans have put themselves in this position, they are out of touch with the reality of what is going on out there, and how corrupt our nation is. And forgive me, I'm not angry with you, I'm just angry with the whole sense of it...and how stupid most American's are, and if you are insulted, by this comment, (you meaning anyone who reads this) perhaps you need to rethink the way you think and believe.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,059,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Possibly. Even though Obama is terrible, most Republicans today have become evil incarnate. It's like choosing between whether I'd want to eat a handful of worms, or set myself on fire.

I'd probably stay home today.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,432,495 times
I voted for Obama and in spite all problems I still think it was a better choice than Romney.
Romney was absolutely hollow, with nothing to offer but rhetoric to please republicans.
I have to admit Obama is not a very good manger and Romney is probably better, but that is not what the presidency is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies