Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And maybe anti-government fanatics should stop conditioning people to automatically ignore and ridicule everything government says and does. "Oh, an inch of snow? No big deal. The NWS and the police are blowing it all out of proportion -- typical government nanny-state fearmongering. I have a big 4WD truck -- I'll be fine!"
The problem with relying on the government for you info... 90% is meaningless dribble completely blown out of proportion. 10% is relevant. So at the end of the day, how do you determine what is really worth taking for face value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The forecasts for these storms which really creamed parts of the Deep South were issued several days before the mayhem ensued; folks who were caught off guard by the volume and intensity of the storms had no one to blame except themselves, and should have planned accordingly, since snow isn't that common in the Deep South.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And where does personal responsibility come into all of this?

I don't live in Atlanta but I am a Southerner by birth and I know full well what happens when roads in ATL get icy. No way I would have been out -- I have seen photos of trucks "jack knifed" on ATL highways too many times in the last 35 years. I know what happens.

I lived in the midwest where they have all the proper equipment to daily take care of whatever is dumped and frozen on streets, sidewalks and parking lots. Everyone in this country knows that Southern cities don't invest in that equipment.

So why anyone would be so ignorant as to get themselves in the position to be stuck in traffic . . . I have no clue. Really. I felt bad for folks . . . and I worried about Emergency Vehicles. . .

Here in Charlotte where I live, I see the same attitude from newcomers who have never seen what happens when ice covers our streets. They think Southerners are ignorant fools for calling off school over an inch of snow. Well, they get out in their cars and guess what? They can't get home, they wreck, then end up in a ditch, sliding all over the neighborhood.

People don't take preparation seriously.

And yes, as far as Katrina, I remember full well that meterologists were literally PLEADING 24 hours ahead for people to evac NOLA. I remember commenting to my husband - are these people just STUPID or what? Everyone knows NOLA is a "bath tub" and people will drown if they stay there with this monster storm bearing down on them.

I think people have lost sight of personal responsibility. You don't have to wait for someone in government to give you a solution or issue a warning . . . use your head and think for yourself and take action to protect yourself and your family.

Better safe than sorry.
The ice stoms that happen in the south are different than the snow that is common in the north.
Typically, it will start as sleet or freezing rain in the afternoon but then will turn to ice as the temperature drops overnight. When this happens it results in a skating rink like sheet of ice on the road.

While it's true that this type of ice is dangerous to drive on, even when there is not much accumulation, more "conventional" snow does fall here sometimes too.
And it's also true that many southerners over react to an inch or two of snow, especially when there is little or no ice along with it.

Bread and milk disappear from store shelves at the slightest whisper of snow, as if they're going to be snowed in for a week lol.

It's a different culture in the north when you grow up there....a foot or two of snow is not even a valid excuse to be late for work, much less not show up. So you can imagine my surprise when I experienced my first "snow storm" here in Charlotte ...... about 4 inches overnight and I was the only person where I work who showed up on time.

When the ice storms happen here the caution and concern is justified but normal snow is also used as excuse by many to take the day off.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I guess you could say I am in south and nothing like Atlanta occurred. Too broad a bush being used on confined area which is a small part .IMO. Heck look at last year and NE storm results in freeway stranded travelers. More people need to think for themselves as even differences in hurricanes have shown. Pointing fingers as always.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The snow wasn't that bad in Atlanta, only 2 inches... it was caused mostly by bad drivers... how do you get mitigate bad drivers in rare snow events? They mentioned public metro system... but who is going to pay? Will people in Atlanta pay higher taxes for THEIR own metro system? Looking at the population, I highly doubt it... of course, we could behave like liberals and tax the rest of the state for Atlanta's benefit...
It wasnt snow, it was ice. so the problem was indeed the weather.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
The ice stoms that happen in the south are different than the snow that is common in the north.
Typically, it will start as sleet or freezing rain in the afternoon but then will turn to ice as the temperature drops overnight. When this happens it results in a skating rink like sheet of ice on the road.

While it's true that this type of ice is dangerous to drive on, even when there is not much accumulation, more "conventional" snow does fall here sometimes too.
And it's also true that many southerners over react to an inch or two of snow, especially when there is little or no ice along with it.

Bread and milk disappear from store shelves at the slightest whisper of snow, as if they're going to be snowed in for a week lol.

It's a different culture in the north when you grow up there....a foot or two of snow is not even a valid excuse to be late for work, much less not show up. So you can imagine my surprise when I experienced my first "snow storm" here in Charlotte ...... about 4 inches overnight and I was the only person where I work who showed up on time.

When the ice storms happen here the caution and concern is justified but normal snow is also used as excuse by many to take the day off.
There is no over reactions. Our governments do not have vehicles that can clear the streets.We do not have salt stock piles, out personal vehicles do not have snow tires. Power lines are of a completely different integrity and outages happen because of accumulation on them.

2 inches of snow in the deep South is different than 2 up north and it isnt even close.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is no over reactions. Our governments do not have vehicles that can clear the streets.We do not have salt stock piles, out personal vehicles do not have snow tires. Power lines are of a completely different integrity and outages happen because of accumulation on them.

2 inches of snow in the deep South is different than 2 up north and it isnt even close.
When I moved to the Kansas City region, within a few days, it snowed 7 inches. I had gotten up during the night to see it snowing and went back to bed, assuming there wouldn't be any school (after all, I had lived all my life in NC and SC, where there simply was not enough equipment to deal with such a situation).

Imagine my surprise when I got up for coffee at 6 am and realized all the streets were clear, neighbors were out using their snowblowers to clear off their driveways and of course, school was in session, as usual! I was amazed!

Yes, it is VERY different in regions that have continual snow/ice throughout the winter.

In addition, it is very common even with 1/4 " of ice or a few inches of snow for the power to go out in my area of the South. When you have spent as many as 7 days without power being restored, you don't take chances that your family will end up without staples to eat, dog food, meds. All it takes is for folks to go through their power off in cold weather and no way to feed the family for them to change their attitudes about WHY Southerners "over react" to a little snow, lol.

Hope folks are safe and warm and that officials in Atlanta have figured this snow phenomenon out!!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Why not ?

The government is the one who builds those freeways, maintains those freeways and patrols those freeways.

They have every right to close them when they see fit.

( I should change " right" to " duty" )
The government does not have the money to build anything without taxpayer dollars. The reality is that WE built those freeways, through our tax dollars.

No, the government does not have the right to close down OUR rights of way.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
These are the same wimps that get a "Killer Heat Wave" when it's 95 degrees when here that is a cold spell in the summer.

We in the south are better prepared for heat, the north is better prepared for the cold.

They are summer time heat wimps.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They knew it was coming and didn't call school off.
They watched it get worse and didn't end the school day early.

Who is at fault ?
Each and every school superintendent who makes the decision about school.

Here in Texas our school calendars have "snow days" built in.

Last week the schools closed on Friday.
The calls started going out Thursday night.
It started as a 2 hour delay but as the forecast got more dire (freezing rain/ice) it changed to "closed".

Tuesday morning the calls went out with a 2 hour delay.
The forecast as of Monday night didn't have ice but changed overnight and ice hit Tuesday morning.

Black ice is not the same as snow.

The south does not have the equipment to clear every single road.

It took me over 1 hour to make a 15 minute drive.
Agreed, I am in Houston and all the schools, and non essential city and county employees were closed/off Tuesday and the previous Friday due to the ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies